The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-24-2023, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
@KevWind, here's an article from February which goes into a ton of readable detail on the topic of what Webb does and doesn't tell us at this point. It may be out of date at this point, but a good overview of what Webb (to that point) had and hadn't called into question.

https://www.wired.com/story/no-the-j...ken-cosmology/

I'm not saying it couldn't be the case that the universe is older than we thought. Any knowledge we have is subject to new evidence, and that's of course the power of science. Always questioning itself, always adding to the corpus of knowledge. But for me it would take more than supposition or the possibility of an older universe to say "We just don't know". There are multiple pieces of strong evidence to support the 13.8 billion year age...at this point. I think we need more to overturn the current model.

This resonates for me, from the linked article:

Incredibly interesting topic. I'll never stop being amazed by the enormity of time and space. Just incomprehensible in any real sense. Truly "awesome".
Thanks I will read it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-24-2023, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
To the extent that we understand the universe as we see it.

I do agree with you, but everything we observe is biased by our understanding of our methods. How do we know that we are observing the full picture and interpreting it correctly?
It's an interesting question, and of course this is where any philosophy, belief, or observation meets it's match. We can push it as far as Solipsism, the idea that all we really know is our own consciousness, and that everything we perceive could be an illusion. I could be in a simulation, alone. There's nothing I can do to disprove that. So we must grant that the conversations we have are limited to what we can agree upon as our reality.

This is a good article on how the age is determined: https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...f-the-universe

Quote:
I think a key point mentioned in a post above is “the age of the visible universe“.

We have no way to measure what may (or may not) be beyond the visible universe. For all we know the Big Bang was just a tiny local phenomenon in a much vaster than vast greater universe.

We only think it is big, because we really are so small….
Actually, we already have a pretty clear idea that the universe is vastly larger than the observable universe.

https://www.space.com/24073-how-big-...-universe.html

Quote:
They found that the universe is at least 250 times larger than the observable universe, or at least 7 trillion light-years across.

"That's big, but actually more tightly constrained that many other models," according to 2011 MIT Technology Review report.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's an interesting question, and of course this is where any philosophy, belief, or observation meets it's match. We can push it as far as Solipsism, the idea that all we really know is our own consciousness, and that everything we perceive could be an illusion. I could be in a simulation, alone. There's nothing I can do to disprove that. So we must grant that the conversations we have are limited to what we can agree upon as our reality.

This is a good article on how the age is determined: https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...f-the-universe

Actually, we already have a pretty clear idea that the universe is vastly larger than the observable universe.

https://www.space.com/24073-how-big-...-universe.html

Makes sense that someone smarter and more directly involved than me would have thought of. And looked into that idea a bit.

There is a blur between theoretical physics and philosophy, no doubt. But how deal with Shrödingers cat when we aren’t even aware of the box? Not to mention that observing a system from within it is not the best vantage point.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Makes sense that someone smarter and more directly involved than me would have thought of. And looked into that idea a bit.

There is a blur between theoretical physics and philosophy, no doubt. But how deal with Shrödingers cat when we aren’t even aware of the box? Not to mention that observing a system from within it is not the best vantage point.
It's true! We can only know what we can know at any given time. We have no idea what's beyond the universe, or if that construct even makes sense.

A pretty good reason to raise one's eyebrows when they suggest they know how it all came about. At some point, "we don't know" is always the right answer. But we know an amazing amount, and what we've learned in the short span of my life blows my mind. I remember when black holes were a wild hypothesis. Now we have images. Incredible.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
All I know is that time definitely moves faster the less of it that you have left.
I’m the OP….of all the posts that leave my head spinning, this is really the only one that truly makes sense….
Old 05-24-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I’m the OP….of all the posts that leave my head spinning, this is really the only one that truly makes sense….
Heard one akin to that today: “The days grow longer, while the years grow shorter”
Old 05-24-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Shazamm , no wonder I have aged so quickly living at 8000 ft
Thats going to be my excuse from now on
And you can say that Einstein tells you so.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-24-2023, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's true! We can only know what we can know at any given time. We have no idea what's beyond the universe, or if that construct even makes sense.

A pretty good reason to raise one's eyebrows when they suggest they know how it all came about. At some point, "we don't know" is always the right answer. But we know an amazing amount, and what we've learned in the short span of my life blows my mind. I remember when black holes were a wild hypothesis. Now we have images. Incredible.

What is really amazing is our creativity in developing our understanding of the incomprehensible.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, good one. I think this was where I got my information on the topic: The Birth of Time: How Astronomers Measure the Age of the Universe -- John Gribbin. I see now it's somewhat dated (2001). I think its independent methods for determining the age of the Universe are still applicable (if not always yielding equal accuracies).

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-25-2023, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
And you can say that Einstein tells you so.
Upon reading the post you replied to, that was my immediate thought. But you seem to have a great grasp on such, would you care to expand on that for a bit cuz I'm not exactly sure why! TIA if so!
Old 05-26-2023, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, good one. I think this was where I got my information on the topic: The Birth of Time: How Astronomers Measure the Age of the Universe -- John Gribbin. I see now it's somewhat dated (2001). I think its independent methods for determining the age of the Universe are still applicable (if not always yielding equal accuracies).
Thanks for the link. I tried to find a synopsis, but nothing online that I could easily find. Not sure I'll get to reading it TBH, but I appreciate ya.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And what is time? We only age the universe at 14 billion years because that is what we can see with our amazing, but very limited tools. We really have no idea what is out there and what it is all about.

I am pretty sure, though, that if we do encounter extraterrestrial life, it won’t fit our anthropomorphized image of it.
Water and carbon are pretty solid starting points.

The search for life is essentially a search for negative entropy.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
To minimize this effect, you'll want to stay in the lowlands since a clock on top of a tall mountain moves relatively faster than a clock at the base of that mountain. (OK, the difference is barely detectable, but hey. )
Why is that? I always thought that gravity slowed time... Ok, I just answered my own question.... but is it because of lower gravity at higher altitudes or because the higher altitudes are going faster rotationally than the lower altitudes...... Or is it because an African sparrow flies faster than an European one.......

I have a headache now

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-04-2023, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Why is that? I always thought that gravity slowed time... Ok, I just answered my own question.... but is it because of lower gravity at higher altitudes or because the higher altitudes are going faster rotationally than the lower altitudes...... Or is it because an African sparrow flies faster than an European one.......

I have a headache now
Bear in mind that it's all relative (as Mr Einstein proved). There is no absolute 'slowing' of time.

Two observers, one at sea level (A)and one at 10,000 feet(B)

A will observe B's clock to run fast. B will observe A's clock to run slow. Both are right.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I love this thread.

I think about this stuff all the time. I'm just as delightfully gobsmacked as anyone here in pondering such questions, and I continue to be dazzled by the findings of the Hubble and now the Webb telescopes. I can hardly wait for their next revelations.

I'd just like to add that, for those who find randomness an unsatisfactory feature of what we know about the Universe and everything in it, the idea of a Creator naturally arises (however we tapdance around it here), but just because we don't yet know the answer to a question doesn't mean we can substitute a supernatural one without evidence.

Just because we don't yet know the answer to a question doesn't mean there isn't one.

The pursuit of such answers is the whole purpose of science.

And now, back to the unfathomable majesty and mystery of the universe...

Last edited by jmagill; 06-04-2023 at 10:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic