The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-07-2020, 07:02 PM

Default A handful of questions on a LGO rebuild

Ok, have read through this forum for a while I have never posted till now, got a few questions for the repair gurus and builders. I recently picked up a Gibson LGO in pretty rough shape for 35 bucks. ( watch those garage sales people !)
The good is the neck is straight truss rod is good and adjusts frets are pretty good, but thats where the good ends. The top has a few cracks, the bracing was literally falling out of it. The bridge had been reglued by a lunatic. I have removed the back and found a few pretty bad repairs,( since then I have removed all bracing top and back. This is where my questions come into play.
1: Do I repair the cracks before or after the new bracing?
2: should I do a traditional Martin x bracing or try the new Taylor style v bracing?
3: when the bridge was removed it exposed a lot of rough surface from the last repair, how do I clean out all the old glue and garbage without tearing right through the top?

I attached a few pictures take a look, ( the bridge plate repair is spectacular! )
Old 09-07-2020, 11:21 PM

Fix the cracks before you start any bracing, once the cracks are all structurally repaired then you can lay your bracing back in

As to type of bracing, that is up to you, do you want to try and keep it semi original or go with other manufacturers bracing patterns

Me. I see so many variations of stuff, I just like keeping things close to original.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Maybe someone has an LG2 x-brace pattern. That would make for a great sounding guitar.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Maybe someone has an LG2 x-brace pattern. That would make for a great sounding guitar.
I hope this response doesn't break any rules, as I include a link to another forum.

I ran into the following diagram being represented as the bracing for a Gibson LG2. I have an '59 LG2 and my building project is based on that guitar. It is a fantastic instrument.

Here's the image:

Credit to Ksdaddy, moderator on this forum:

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/12533...intage-gibson/

Hope it helps. I'm probably going to use this diagram for my build, although I can still check the dimensions against my guitar.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Old 09-10-2020, 08:18 AM

Looking at your pics it looks like you sanded the top down a bit. You should measure the top thickness to make sure there's enough meat left to be able to be strung up.
Also when you brace it up make 100% certain that you know the top radius and that your braces match. These typically have between a 25-22 radius top to them. Measure twice and be certain you're accurate with it.

To your questions

Like steve said repair the cracks before you brace.

X bracing will give you a more traditional sound that most folks are used to. Don't get too caught up in trying to do something crazy, I'd say keep it traditional.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair