The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Lefty Archtop?

Hi folks,

I'm a lefty. As you know, this is a double edged sword. It's nice that I can't be tempted to go into a store and play 25 guitars, agonizing over which one I lust for the most. However, it is also frustrating when I want a certain type of guitar and find out it's not offered in lefty form. And makers are reducing the number of lefty models all the time.

I'm curious: are there any lefty acoustic archtops offered? Eastman has electrics, but if I wanted an old fashioned acoustic archtop, what would I do short of having a very expensive custom made?

-John
Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 AM

By and large archtops are braced symmetrically so if you find a non-cutaway acoustic archtop you like making it left handed is as easy as a new nut and a new bridge topper. Tip - vintage (as in pre-Gibson) Epiphones have a lot of the compensation at the bridge in the base, the posts are off-set. Most other brands have the posts set equalized in the bridge base, so all you need is a different topper.

Brian
Old 05-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Yep, Brian is correct.

Flip the nut, flip the bridge, flip the tailpiece.

You should be good to go.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:28 PM

DHR Music experience . Dale has them . No need to swap/switch anything .
Old 05-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengstrom View Post
Hi folks,

I'm a lefty. As you know, this is a double edged sword. It's nice that I can't be tempted to go into a store and play 25 guitars, agonizing over which one I lust for the most. However, it is also frustrating when I want a certain type of guitar and find out it's not offered in lefty form. And makers are reducing the number of lefty models all the time.

I'm curious: are there any lefty acoustic archtops offered? Eastman has electrics, but if I wanted an old fashioned acoustic archtop, what would I do short of having a very expensive custom made?

-John
Just keep in mind too, the all solid wood Eastmans are very much acoustic guitars, the pickup is usually a floater and easily removed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops