The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Musical minimalist

Default Could use a little help...

struggling with a couple of chords in Adele's version of Make You Feel My Love.

Playing it capo'd at 3 in G (G-DaddF#-F-C-Cm-G-A7-D7-G) as many of the online chord charts show, but what they all have wrong are the two chords in the second like of each bridge (showing B7 and C) It's just not right.

I've been sitting here for a half hour trying to figure it out, but thought someone may know and save me some time!

Chords in question are 1:21 and 1:23...I'm guessing it's something simple I'm overlooking.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:32 AM

That first chord is a really nasty crunch. She's playing essentially a Bmaj7 chord (not B7), but she has a D# and A# in the bass, F# above that, and then the B in the middle (the note she's singing) with an A# next to it. I really don't recommend trying to copy that on guitar.
The next chord is likewise: Cmaj7, but with E bass and a B low in the chord. She sings C-B-A over this. It resolves to a plain G.

I checked three versions by Dylan - two studio and one live - and it's different each time! (One is in a different key from the other two.)
Transposed to your key of G, in the live one it's a plain B7 chord, followed by C. (I.e, those chord charts are right in this case.)

In both studio versions it's a kind of augmented chord: Ebmaj7#5. I.e. basically just the G triad (G-B-D) with an added Eb bass note. (The previous G chord has D in the bass.)
If you're using G shapes, just play it as G+: 3-2-1-0-0-3. That's also B+, of course, so it's not too far from either B7 or Adele's Bmaj7. But the #5 is critical (at least in Dylan's original), and more important than either 7th. (If you want the D in there too, try 3-2-1-0-3-x.)

Dylan's next chord (original version) is Cmaj7/E - so Adele has it right, but is still making too much of the nasty maj7 (B) low in the chord.
On guitar in G, play it as 0-3-2-2-0-0, so you get the maj7 on 2nd string, and the nice 6th on 3rd string (the melody is B-A-G). That then resolves back to a plain G.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Musical minimalist

Wow - thanks for all of that! No wonder I couldn't figure it out!

Sounds like a typical case of translating piano to guitar blues..

Thanks for taking the time to explain it all - way above my pay grade!

Old 02-09-2021, 12:55 PM

No problem - it's a great song!

I did get a little sidetracked with the various Dylan versions. There are two youtubes of studio versions - the Time Out Of Mind track, which I thought was the original (it's in Db), and a different one that claims that is the "original", and is in C. Then a live one which is in Db (and has the equivalent of those simple B7-C chords, which really ought to be good enough ).
Old 02-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Rokdog does a really nice version of this and would likely share the key and chords he uses if you send him a PM. I should know this as I play fills on mandolin, but we haven't played out in so long I've forgotten!
Old 02-13-2021, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
That first chord is a really nasty crunch. She's playing essentially a Bmaj7 chord (not B7), but she has a D# and A# in the bass, F# above that, and then the B in the middle (the note she's singing) with an A# next to it. I really don't recommend trying to copy that on guitar.
The next chord is likewise: Cmaj7, but with E bass and a B low in the chord. She sings C-B-A over this. It resolves to a plain G.

I checked three versions by Dylan - two studio and one live - and it's different each time! (One is in a different key from the other two.)
Transposed to your key of G, in the live one it's a plain B7 chord, followed by C. (I.e, those chord charts are right in this case.)

In both studio versions it's a kind of augmented chord: Ebmaj7#5. I.e. basically just the G triad (G-B-D) with an added Eb bass note. (The previous G chord has D in the bass.)
If you're using G shapes, just play it as G+: 3-2-1-0-0-3. That's also B+, of course, so it's not too far from either B7 or Adele's Bmaj7. But the #5 is critical (at least in Dylan's original), and more important than either 7th. (If you want the D in there too, try 3-2-1-0-3-x.)

Dylan's next chord (original version) is Cmaj7/E - so Adele has it right, but is still making too much of the nasty maj7 (B) low in the chord.
On guitar in G, play it as 0-3-2-2-0-0, so you get the maj7 on 2nd string, and the nice 6th on 3rd string (the melody is B-A-G). That then resolves back to a plain G.
Wow Jon!

This is terrific help you provided! Good for you! Wonderful job to help out a fellow guitar player!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write