The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 AM

Default Follow-up: K&K mini installed in my GC8

Here is my original thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...57#post3068157

I installed the K&K in my guitar on Saturday using the instructions I found online. What was funny is that the gluing of the sensors is what i was most worried about, and it ended up being the easiest part (after taking a few minutes to make the jig). What I had the most trouble with was getting that crazy endpin mounted. First I didn't take off all of the smaller washers. Didn't work. Then I took them off, and of course the jack went through TOO much. Then I had to adjust the nut to where it wouldn't go though too much. This took sever trial and errors, and each time, I had to use an old E string to pull the jack towards the hole, and it was a little ornery at times. Finally got it sized just right, got everything mounted, but forgot to put in the lock washer. Back off again. What a pain. It's now done, but not after about 2-3 hours of working on it from start to finish.

Also, the superglue they send with it does not dry nearly as quickly as the regular store-brand superglue. I let the guitar sit for an hour before messing with the jack, and unfortunately the glue wasn't all of the way dry. So, I ended up with glue on the tips of my fingers, the backs of my fingers and fingernails...and somehow, some way, I ended up with a little dollop of it on the tip of my nose that I didn't discover until after it was dried. Classy. Luckily, everything held perfectly.

So, Sunday rolls around, and I'll have to say that all of my hard work was well-worth it. It's amazing how quiet the pickup is. No hiss, crackle or anything. I used an active DI. The sound guy did some minor EQ, and what came through the PA was my guitar...just louder. What a great natural sound this thing gives.

Couldn't be happier to have a mini in my GC8. If I ever get another Taylor, I'll probably just go full acoustic again and get another K&K.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM

I have the K&K mini in two of my acoustics and couldn't be more pleased. My one guitar has the feather in it and that sounds very good also.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM

I never use the gel superglue. I wipe CA accelerator on the bridgeplate, let it dry, and use medium-thick CA.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 AM

Hi,

What did you try with the Mini ? Your active DI and something else ? Tube Preamp, direct to amp....?
Did you find the better way to use those pu ?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusashiChan View Post
Hi,

What did you try with the Mini ? Your active DI and something else ? Tube Preamp, direct to amp....?
Did you find the better way to use those pu ?
It was an active DI (nothing fancy. I think that it was just a direct box that was plugged in), and I think that it went straight to the board after that. We have lots of different effects (I played it at my church).

It did fantastic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
gc8, k&k, mini, taylor gc