The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-01-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Long distance lessons-adult learning

My oldest son lives 1,100 miles away. I bought him a guitar when he was a kid but he lacked the interest to learn.

Now, at 35, he told me “You know Dad I thought it would be fun to play with you and (his brother).” I think there was some regret in his voice and a touch of envy. (And, honestly, it triggered some regret in me.)

I asked him if he would put the time in if I sent him a guitar and we did FaceTime calls for the purpose of getting him the basics. He enthusiastically responded YES!

I’m not a teacher (though I’ve hired and trained a lot of sales people over the years), but the more I think about this I believe my best course of action is to use an established method of instruction.

Can you recommend a book based lesson plan that we can use together for the adult learner?

And please, before I get flamed to death, I want to work with him. I admit he’d probably get more out of a pro teacher but this is more than learning to play guitar.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Good for you, and him!

I had been playing for quite a while when I acquired my first teacher, to learn how to finger-pick. This is the book we used for a year or so. We didn't start at the beginning, but my memory is that is pretty basic for the first several chapters. It works!

https://www.melbay.com/Products/9344...le-guitar.aspx
Old 03-01-2021, 11:25 AM

Slothead,

Your post makes me happy and sad at the same time. I got married very late in life. I have a 12 year old son who could care less about learning to play. As most folks know when our kids get to this age they think their parents are the dumbest people in the world. Technology evolution certainly does not help that dynamic.

But I am told that as our kids get older and have lives of their own they come back around to understand that maybe we just aren't so dumb after all.

I can only hope that my son comes back to me at some point in life and asks for my tutelage on anything at all. Guitar playing or otherwise.

My suggestion would be to spend as much time with him as you can. (As long as you are not ripping each others heads off. LOL)
Old 03-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
Slothead,

Your post makes me happy and sad at the same time. I got married very late in life. I have a 12 year old son who could care less about learning to play. As most folks know when our kids get to this age they think their parents are the dumbest people in the world. Technology evolution certainly does not help that dynamic.

But I am told that as our kids get older and have lives of their own they come back around to understand that maybe we just aren't so dumb after all.

I can only hope that my son comes back to me at some point in life and asks for my tutelage on anything at all. Guitar playing or otherwise.

My suggestion would be to spend as much time with him as you can. (As long as you are not ripping each others heads off. LOL)
My son and I went through a stage. He is in his thirties now and get along well. He lives halfway across the country from me and we meet somewhere in between every summer and do a road trip. Except this last summer. But he still doesn't care about playing a guitar. It would be nice if we had that in common but we don't. It's okay. He has his own interests.I

I take lessons by Skype and it is going well, if anyone is looking for a platform.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-01-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I think the best thing for both of you is to have him sign up for the JustinGuitar beginner course and for you to go through it with him.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I think the best thing for both of you is to have him sign up for the JustinGuitar beginner course and for you to go through it with him.
That’s a great idea. Use the JG beginner course as the structure and foundation and you help him via Skype or FaceTime work through the sections of the course. Set goals and get together once a week.

Basically how I do my lessons with my teacher via FaceTime when learning new material.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write