The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-03-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Having just looked inside one of my McPherson Sables, I saw that the area where the label is, is recessed in the perfect size for their label. Even that small detail is precision workmanship.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I'm surprised no one has done a tone comparison, with and without the label.

I'm surprised about that too, Captain (or can I call you Jim?) - given the depths of minutiae that we can descend to.

I did, however, waste several minutes in chasing old threads, and find it supremely ironic that the oldest thread I could find regarding labels falling off actually involved a Taylor.

In 2003.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ighlight=label
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-03-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I think you both missed April 1st by a couple of days...
Nope, don't think so. I'm being quite serious. I have a 15 year old 100 dollar laminate guitar that has been environmentally abused beyond belief. Label is still on there. The basics are still in place...lol

I know many friends with acoustic guitars and I have never heard of such a thing happening. I don't recall rampant posts on here or any other forums I follow either where this is a thing.

Having said this, perhaps it is a weird one-off. Fine. Things happen. To be fair, I don't recall Emerald owners coming out in droves complaining about such an issue so I'll give ya that
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Nope, don't think so. I'm being quite serious. I have a 15 year old 100 dollar laminate guitar that has been environmentally abused beyond belief. Label is still on there. The basics are still in place...lol

I know many friends with acoustic guitars and I have never heard of such a thing happening. I don't recall rampant posts on here or any other forums I follow either where this is a thing.

Having said this, perhaps it is a weird one-off. Fine. Things happen. To be fair, I don't recall Emerald owners coming out in droves complaining about such an issue so I'll give ya that
So why then, does Emerald 'clearly need to sort this out'?

Silly.
Cordoba Stage

Old 04-03-2020, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

David;

I can see a need to sort things out just because it is an opportunity. Emerald has done a great job of revising standard protocols in order to improve the product. Maybe a better glue would be better? Maybe a better position would be better?

In my dreams there's a kind of CNC machine that could print a desired label on carbon fiber, that could then be incorporated into the body. That would be different and an end to loose label.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Remove it from the guitar, lay it face down on something you don't mind getting overspray on (like a Martin guitar), and spray it with 3M Spray Adhesive. Then, stick it.
Whoa there Captain, Emeralds are cool but let's not get all crazy

Commander "Martin owner" steelvibe
Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
So why then, does Emerald 'clearly need to sort this out'?

Silly.
I clearly struck a chord with you, and in retrospect, my reaction was a little strong. I figured you would have taken that from my last post, but I guess not.

Part of the reason it hit me the way it did, and I reacted the way I did, is that this is not the first quality issue I’ve read about with Emeralds. I think I put this together with other issues that I have read about over time on this forum. On this singular issue here with the label you’re right...I overreacted. This is the best explanation I can give you.

I know there is lots of love around here for Emerald. Overall I think that love is warranted. They are putting out a pretty compelling product for sure. I would like to have a jumbo at some point. Their x30 is appealing for sure, because it solves the ergonomic/size problems that are usually associated with jumbos.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 04-03-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I clearly struck a chord with you, and in retrospect, my reaction was a little strong. I figured you would have taken that from my last post, but I guess not.

Part of the reason it hit me the way it did, and I reacted the way I did, is that this is not the first quality issue I’ve read about with Emeralds. I think I put this together with other issues that I have read about over time on this forum. On this singular issue here with the label you’re right...I overreacted. This is the best explanation I can give you.

I know there is lots of love around here for Emerald. Overall I think that love is warranted. They are putting out a pretty compelling product for sure. I would like to have a jumbo at some point. Their x30 is appealing for sure, because it solves the ergonomic/size problems that are usually associated with jumbos.
No worries. Just trying to have some fun in our somewhat stir-crazy days. I wouldn’t dream of equating a poorly adhered label with a genuine quality issue, but I’ve been here long enough to realize that one man’s niggle is another ones dealbreaker for reasons we can’t necessarily rationalize.

I hope you have the good fortune to experience a CF guitar that excites you one of these days
Cordoba Stage

Old 04-03-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
No worries. Just trying to have some fun in our somewhat stir-crazy days. I wouldn’t dream of equating a poorly adhered label with a genuine quality issue, but I’ve been here long enough to realize that one man’s niggle is another ones dealbreaker for reasons we can’t necessarily rationalize.

I hope you have the good fortune to experience a CF guitar that excites you one of these days
I like my RainSong just fine. Great guitar. RainSong and Emerald aside, it is my personal assessment that Mcpherson has the superior carbon fiber product on the market today. That is my opinion.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-03-2020, 08:42 PM

Talking

Hi
I have two Emeralds. ( X7 and X20 ) and do not have any problems. But I do not want anyone to be unhappy, I will gladly take any Emeralds that have label problems off your hands for 10 cents on the dollar for the value of the guitar. I think that is only the fair thing to do. Its my civic duty.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Although it’s clearly not the end of the world, Emerald clearly needs to work this out. Most conventional guitars don’t have this kinda problem to contend with even after decades and decades....
Well sure. But conventional guitars have the label affixed inside onto a patch of bare unfinished wood - a fantastic substrate if you are using Titebond for example. In contrast the cured epoxy finish inside a CF guitar does not have anywhere near as much "tooth" for a contact adhesive.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I like my RainSong just fine. Great guitar. RainSong and Emerald aside, it is my personal assessment that Mcpherson has the superior carbon fiber product on the market today. That is my opinion.
Oops - I forgot you had a Rainsong. It’s difficult to keep track of who has what sometimes.

Regardless, I’m very happy that you’re happy with it. That’s all that matters, after all.
Cordoba Stage

Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm surprised about that too, Captain (or can I call you Jim?) - given the depths of minutiae that we can descend to.

I did, however, waste several minutes in chasing old threads, and find it supremely ironic that the oldest thread I could find regarding labels falling off actually involved a Taylor.

In 2003.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ighlight=label
Yes, please call me Jim. That's what my friends call me, and I consider the good folks on this forum friends that I just haven't met in person, yet. Crew and staff called me Captain. Rufus calls me Pops. The Blonde calls me James when I am in trouble for something... she calls me James a lot.

I think Emerald should use (and advertise) hide glue to attach the label. Apparently, that's "a thing" in the wood world.

I'm just having a bit of fun with this "label-gate" situation. But, what do I know... I tear the labels off pillows and mattresses.

In the words of the philosopher William Shakespeare: Much ado about nothing.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
Well sure. But conventional guitars have the label affixed inside onto a patch of bare unfinished wood - a fantastic substrate if you are using Titebond for example. In contrast the cured epoxy finish inside a CF guitar does not have anywhere near as much "tooth" for a contact adhesive.
I can appreciate what you're saying, but how is that my problem if I'm spending 3k - 5k or more on a guitar? We did our part and paid the premium price. The manufacturer should do their part and make sure that the most basic of basic elements of their build do not fall apart.

Again, at the end of the day a label matters not a lot in reality, but as someone else alluded to above, it makes you wonder what else they might be getting wrong if they can't even label their guitars properly. To be blunt, it does not leave a good impression of quality. It's just the point of it. I can assure you that these guitar manufacturers care a lot about the brand that they are trying to build. Part of that is being able to demonstrate the absolute most basic attribute of quality: Being able to competently brand their product. Don't see the irony? From a purely business perspective it's a bit embarrassing. Thank god for them it seems to be a one-off. If it wasn't, that would be a problem. Think about it.

How do you think it would look if it became apparent that Porsche didn't know how to keep the emblem attached to their cars? That would be a problem that the owners of those vehicles would not be very happy with for more reasons than one.

LOL. This whole conversation is definitely getting silly. Let me sum it up. Labels should not be falling off of very expensive guitars (irrespective of whether or not it matters).

At this point I'm speaking generally, not specifically about Emerald.

We definitely are all getting stir crazy
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can appreciate what you're saying, but how is that my problem if I'm spending 3k - 5k or more on a guitar? We did our part and paid the premium price. The manufacturer should do their part and make sure that the most basic of basic elements of their build do not fall apart.

Again, at the end of the day a label matters not a lot in reality, but as someone else alluded to above, it makes you wonder what else they might be getting wrong if they can't even label their guitars properly. To be blunt, it does not leave a good impression of quality. It's just the point of it. I can assure you that these guitar manufacturers care a lot about the brand that they are trying to build. Part of that is being able to demonstrate the absolute most basic attribute of quality: Being able to competently brand their product. Don't see the irony? From a purely business perspective it's a bit embarrassing. Thank god for them it seems to be a one-off. If it wasn't, that would be a problem. Think about it.

How do you think it would look if it became apparent that Porsche didn't know how to keep the emblem attached to their cars? That would be a problem that the owners of those vehicles would not be very happy with for more reasons than one.

LOL. This whole conversation is definitely getting silly. Let me sum it up. Labels should not be falling off of very expensive guitars (irrespective of whether or not it matters).

At this point I'm speaking generally, not specifically about Emerald.

We definitely are all getting stir crazy
This sums it up perfectly. Now that it has been said, it will be interesting to see how much farther this thread goes.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber