The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Although it’s clearly not the end of the world, Emerald clearly needs to work this out. Most conventional guitars don’t have this kinda problem to contend with even after decades and decades. This really shouldn’t be happening. Again, I know it’s not the end of the world, but still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Does it make you wonder what else is wrong with the $$$$$ guitar. Emerald needs to get on this. I've played old Martin guitars with the label firmly attached. My 20 year old Taylor label looks about the same as the day I purchased it two decades ago.
I think you both missed April 1st by a couple of days...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-03-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I think you both missed April 1st by a couple of days...
Ha,,, good one
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-03-2020, 07:59 AM

In one of my carbon fiber guitars from a well known builder, at the time, the label was garishly ugly (they no longer use that label). Further, it was placed in such a position that anyone looking at the guitar would see and focus on that even more than the guitar itself. I removed it and reattached it deeper into the guitar. It was a disappointment.

Another brand of carbon fiber guitar I own came with a label that was almost completely illegible. The name of the company could not be read at all. All the print was flaking off.

A high fiber "art" paper was used, but apparently the laser printer could not deal with the paper or bond the toner powder to it. I suspect it was like trying to run a thin blanket through a laser printer . . .

The name of the company was completely unreadable. Impossible. The model number and serial number took squinting and guessing and even now I'm not sure exactly what it is.

Anyone looking inside, curious to know the brand of the guitar, would never know.

I did write and ask about getting a replacement label. I sent a very high quality scan of the label. But it still didn't happen. Apparently not a priority.

I stopped following up eventually and removed the label and put it in storage.

Without divulging the company name (I still like the guitar a lot and now, a few years later, I have to believe they've improved on this by now) I've included a cropping from a high quality scan (1200dpi-overkill) of just a portion their label.

What you see is a small section of the corner of what is "supposed" to be a very elaborate, clear, ornate decoration surrounding the entire border of the label. The illegible text was inside this border.

I can only guess that, compared to the work put into making the guitars themselves, by the time it comes to adding a label, it probably is not a high priority. Maybe only an afterthought.

Yet, oddly, that little label carries a lot more weight than it seems. It has great value to the customer who wants to proudly read and to proudly let others know exactly what they spent time and effort deciding upon--and ultimately parting with a fair amount of cash to make their own.

I agree. It shouldn't be overlooked or underplayed.

It is the final "seal" of approval on the finished product. It's the "signature" of the builder--even if it is not actually signed.

When the label is crappy in one way or another, it diminishes the whole "new guitar" experience in an immensely disproportionate way to the value of the label itself. It's a mystery to me that guitar builders sometimes "just don't get it".

It's the finishing touch that may just turn a good guitar into a guitar the owner is eager to place into the hands of a visitor. The label is also an immediate reflection on the builders eye for overall design balance, IMO.

It's why people signing important documents prefer to use carefully selected pens and then take care to sign their very best signatures. That final signature for the signer, is reflection of the signer himself.

Adding the label for a builder is close to the last thing they do.

But for the person picking up a guitar, it's almost always the first thing he/she looks at to learn about the guitar and it's origins.

My current guitar has no label at all, nor ever will. I wish this wasn't the case and it's not what I wanted. In the end, I enjoy the guitar and the removal of the label is more of a loss for the builder, than for me.

I wish it were otherwise.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Guest 928

AC;

Well said!

Maybe interested CF makers could sponsor a contest for best label. Each maker could have a thread on this forum, forum members could tout their original designs and forum members could vote for favorite designs.

Some makers would probably not get involved in such a label search because their labels have a long and successful tradition. Newer innovative companies might enjoy and benefit from such a contest.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:02 PM

I have a question that I hope is not too far off topic on labels falling off. I own two Emerald X20's, a 6 and 12 string. Each has a label that is still adhering to the carbon fiber but shows a bit of slight lifting around the edge. What I have noticed is that both labels look to my old eyes as if they were cut from a printed sheet by someone using hand held scissors, very casually. Which is to say that the round label is cut roughly. I am curious if this is the case with other Emeralds. You folks that have had the label fall off should really be able to tell. Just a minor curiousity to me. I like the thought of a company making a high tech guitar and using a hand cut paper label.

If I were to have to re-glue a paper label back into my emerald I would use a product called Modge Podge. I have used it for sticking paper to many different surfaces. Also, I have read that early guitar makers used a thinned hide glue for this job. Not toxic and easy to clean up.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:33 PM

I better pull a couple labels off and see if it messes my guitars all up
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-03-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorehand View Post
What I have noticed is that both labels look to my old eyes as if they were cut from a printed sheet by someone using hand held scissors, very casually. Which is to say that the round label is cut roughly. I am curious if this is the case with other Emeralds. You folks that have had the label fall off should really be able to tell. Just a minor curiousity to me. I like the thought of a company making a high tech guitar and using a hand cut paper label.
The labels in both of mine appear to be perfectly round, well-printed, with the model and serial number hand-written on them. Difficult to tell if the signatures are printed or hand-written - I guess if either of them ever fall off, I'll be able to relate that essential piece of information as well.

Dang, is it slow around here, or what?
Cordoba Stage

Old 04-03-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Dang, is it slow around here, or what?
Seems to be the case..I am working too much lately...sigh..too old for this work thing

Old 04-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

It is both amazing and amusing how this subject garners as much discussion as it has. I suppose that is a byproduct of being isolated at home.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-03-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
It is both amazing and amusing how this subject garners as much discussion as it has. I suppose that is a byproduct of being isolated at home.

Tony
There’s a thread in progress in the General Discussion about ‘most overrated features’ in guitars. I’m surprised that label design, quality and adhesion hasn’t been mentioned there yet.
Cordoba Stage

Old 04-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There’s a thread in progress in the General Discussion about ‘most overrated features’ in guitars. I’m surprised that label design, quality and adhesion hasn’t been mentioned there yet.

Nice! I don't think anybody in that thread would have given this issue a second thought.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-03-2020, 02:26 PM

They should prolly put a sticky up on this thread.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
They should prolly put a sticky up on this thread.
Any suggestions for the type of adhesive that would be best?
Cordoba Stage

Old 04-03-2020, 03:34 PM

"They should prolly put a sticky up on this thread."

"Any suggestions for the type of adhesive that would be best? "

You guys are silly... but liking it!!
Old 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has done a tone comparison, with and without the label.

Yeah, I know: back in my corner.

--------

We have been out in our motorhome for the last 2 1/2 months - just got home last night. I had the X7 and the X20 with us. I played the X10 for Rufus (our cat, not the Emerald hound) last night... what a great guitar! The X20 got a lot of playing time while we were out, as I spent at least 3 days a week with my music partner. I said to myself: "Self, this X20 is the best guitar ever!" When I played the X10, I said, "This is the best guitar ever, too!"

I don't want to jinx anything, but all 3 of my Emeralds seem to adhering to their respective labels. Just kidding around. It's a label. If it seems to be coming loose, watch it. When it seems like that last 1/8" is still holding on, gently pull it. Remove it from the guitar, lay it face down on something you don't mind getting overspray on (like a Martin guitar), and spray it with 3M Spray Adhesive. Then, stick it. In your guitar. Apply a bit of pressure as you put it in place. You should be good to go for another 100 years or so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber