The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Aaron, first time I seen you in this neck of the woods, welcome! I missed the live stream due to work but I did watch the full video last night and enjoyed it. I used to own a BI-WS1000N2 a few years ago. The guitar looked amazing and the body was quite nice, reminded me of a grand auditorium. The only reason I parted with it is because of the N2 neck at all. I just couldn't bond with that neck. This topic does come up from time to time in this subforum and many others feel the same way and there are others who have no issues with it. After watching the video, hearing what he said regarding the original N1 neck and how people complained it was too thin (I never tried an N1 neck) and they listened to customer feedback and redesigned it I feel they went dramatically the other way. I'm mentioning this not to knock Rainsong or cause a ruckus on here it's because I like the direction that the company is going, especially with the vintage models, but I will never buy another N2 neck guitar. Maybe if Rainsong had a presence here on this subforum they could get some feedback regarding the neck and redesign it. Maybe a size in between the N1 and N2 neck? I really do think they could increase sales with a different neck. This is just an opinion from someone who would like to have a Rainsong in their collection!
Great to hear from you. Honestly my favorite necks are the Martin high performance and their new modern deluxe necks. Having said that I used to be VERY against the N2 and thick necks but I’m playing the N2 every day without issue. I would say if it was SLIGHTLY thinner it could be an improvement but this area seems as subjective as guitar pickups. Certainly good for thought and I appreciate you watching. I have James May from Tone Dexter on next week.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aaron, first time I seen you in this neck of the woods, welcome! I missed the live stream due to work but I did watch the full video last night and enjoyed it. I used to own a BI-WS1000N2 a few years ago. The guitar looked amazing and the body was quite nice, reminded me of a grand auditorium. The only reason I parted with it is because of the N2 neck at all. I just couldn't bond with that neck. This topic does come up from time to time in this subforum and many others feel the same way and there are others who have no issues with it. After watching the video, hearing what he said regarding the original N1 neck and how people complained it was too thin (I never tried an N1 neck) and they listened to customer feedback and redesigned it I feel they went dramatically the other way. I'm mentioning this not to knock Rainsong or cause a ruckus on here it's because I like the direction that the company is going, especially with the vintage models, but I will never buy another N2 neck guitar. Maybe if Rainsong had a presence here on this subforum they could get some feedback regarding the neck and redesign it. Maybe a size in between the N1 and N2 neck? I really do think they could increase sales with a different neck. This is just an opinion from someone who would like to have a Rainsong in their collection!
If you want to experience a truly thin front-to-back, RainSong neck profile, try to find a Korean-made RainSong Advanced A-WS1000 that was marketed circa 2006 to 2008. Before I bought my first real RainSong, a WS1000 Classic Series model, I bought two of the lower-cost Advanced A-WS1000 models back in 2006, both new, one after the other, and returned them both to my local dealer during my trial period. The necks were so thin that it was difficult for me to exert a decent amount of pressure when forming barre chords. The Advanced A-WS1000 models sounded darn good, though!

Here's a review from January 2008: RainSong Guitars Review - Compare the Classic WS1000 and Advanced A-WS1000
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-28-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Great to hear from you. Honestly my favorite necks are the Martin high performance and their new modern deluxe necks. Having said that I used to be VERY against the N2 and thick necks but I’m playing the N2 every day without issue. I would say if it was SLIGHTLY thinner it could be an improvement but this area seems as subjective as guitar pickups. Certainly good for thought and I appreciate you watching. I have James May from Tone Dexter on next week.
Having James on is a great idea. Tonedexter has been a game changer for most of us. Pretty excited for the firmware update that will allow gain adjustment for your wavemaps.

If you're looking for some questions to ask him I have one. I'm wondering if they plan on (in a future firmware update) allowing us to manipulate our wavemaps created by Tonedexter from a PC. I'll explain further. Right now if you export your wavemaps from Tonedexter to your pc they're basically for backup purposes only. They export as a .wm file. I'm assuming that this is their own exclusive file type. I tried all my audio software programs to open it and none worked. I have one guitar with a wolf note that amplifies badly. With Jonfields IR, I was able to add my own notch filter to the IR which eliminates it completely. It would be nice to be able to do this with Tonedexter wavemaps as well. Yes I can notch it out after the fact but not having to do that would be even better. Yes I've been spoiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
If you want to experience a truly thin front-to-back, RainSong neck profile, try to find a Korean-made RainSong Advanced A-WS1000 that was marketed circa 2006 to 2008. Before I bought my first real RainSong, a WS1000 Classic Series model, I bought two of the lower-cost Advanced A-WS1000 models back in 2006, both new, one after the other, and returned them both to my local dealer during my trial period. The necks were so thin that it was difficult for me to exert a decent amount of pressure when forming barre chords. The Advanced A-WS1000 models sounded darn good, though!

Here's a review from January 2008: RainSong Guitars Review - Compare the Classic WS1000 and Advanced A-WS1000
Ken, congratulations on winning the t-shirt and thanks for the info I had no idea those existed. I'm not big on necks that are too thin either so I can understand why they opted to change it. Now if they offered something in between the 2 profiles that would be great.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Having James on is a great idea. Tonedexter has been a game changer for most of us. Pretty excited for the firmware update that will allow gain adjustment for your wavemaps.

If you're looking for some questions to ask him I have one. I'm wondering if they plan on (in a future firmware update) allowing us to manipulate our wavemaps created by Tonedexter from a PC. I'll explain further. Right now if you export your wavemaps from Tonedexter to your pc they're basically for backup purposes only. They export as a .wm file. I'm assuming that this is their own exclusive file type. I tried all my audio software programs to open it and none worked. I have one guitar with a wolf note that amplifies badly. With Jonfields IR, I was able to add my own notch filter to the IR which eliminates it completely. It would be nice to be able to do this with Tonedexter wavemaps as well. Yes I can notch it out after the fact but not having to do that would be even better. Yes I've been spoiled!

Ken, congratulations on winning the t-shirt and thanks for the info I had no idea those existed. I'm not big on necks that are too thin either so I can understand why they opted to change it. Now if they offered something in between the 2 profiles that would be great.
Absolutely, something in between would be great! I wish guitar companies, when looking to develop a new neck-profile, would look at and feel Taylor and Gibson necks and try to model their neck profiles similar to those. Martin also has some nice neck profiles from which to choose.

Years ago, I bought a black RainSong T-shirt and still have it, so along with the new one that's coming, all I need now is a new RainSong guitar!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-28-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:12 PM

Enjoyed the program! I thought I knew a lot about RainSong guitars, but definitely learned some things.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-28-2020, 06:18 PM

Since I geek out on this kind of stuff I pretty much knew everything stated in the video about RainSong. i also acquainted myself with Emeralds history and was shocked to hear that they nearly went under at one point. Thank you Aaron for doing this video with Dave- I've spoken with Dave via email a few times, a classy guy for sure.

I knew it wouldn't be long before this thread went into another discussion about the RainSong necks. I've said before that I had a love/hate relationship with that NS neck. Oddly comfortable in the first positions but pretty clubby as you move up- and it's a real PITA to find a good capos for them, especially when you use partial capos like I do. (BTW, I don't even need to buy a Thalia to know I wouldn't like them- way too bulky and look super heavy). i'm a Shubb fan and even the classical Shubb with a flat radius didn't fit the Shorty very good.

I really love their guitars though and my Shorty is the only guitar I ever regret selling. Aaron, you make a great point in the video that there probably isn't a universal neck that most buyers would consider "perfect". I will say that I liked the NS neck slightly better than the neck on the Mcpherson Sable, so there is that. You just have to try them.

That video makes me consider giving RainSong another try
Old 03-29-2020, 01:58 PM

With any luck a company as small at RainSong will still be able to keep operating through this current mess? Maybe? Not sure what the shutdown criteria is right now in the various areas of the US.

Up here they would be shutdown right now unfortunately.

Interesting times right now to say the least.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I think we would consider any guitar manufacturer "essential"
Old 03-30-2020, 09:47 AM

Dagnabbit, I knew I shouldn't watch that whole video. Now that jumbo Nashville is haunting me.

Edit: Had to grab my X30 fan fret and those Nashville cravings have now passed. But, that was a close call. I may even dig out my Breedlove blond jumbo and get a little helping of wood to help put a lid on the gas bubbles.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String

Last edited by jwellsy; 03-30-2020 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Reality Check
Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 AM

@AeroUSA

Thanks for posting the vid. Too bad I missed the live stream. I had a few questions for Dave about the vintage series that would have been nice to ask.
I own 2 Rainsongs (2009 Jumbo N1 neck, 2018 Parlor N2 neck) and it was interesting to learn the history of the Rainsong name and the shark inlays.

On another note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
... i'm a Shubb fan ....
I use the G7th Newport capo's (normal, parial 3 and partial 5) on both my rainsongs and really like them. They are a shubb style (clamp and thumbscrew tightening) and, for me, they work equally well on the N1 and N2 neck. The N2 does 'stretch the limits' up at the 7th fret but the Newport partial 5 still works in that region for the tunings and songs I play.
The G7th newports are really lightweight and sleek. Easy to reach behind the partial capo, 6th sting, at the same fret position the capo is clamped.
Give it a try, if you haven't already.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber