The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-03-2020, 10:55 PM

Default String suggestions for the J. 0F660

I did one search and came up with E.Ball aluminum bronze. Was thinking of going with .013-.056 this time. Not sure why other than I tried really light ones last time. I do 99.9% fingerstyle.

I've had the OF almost a year. It came with elixirs if I recall. They didn't leave a lasting impression but then the best thing about this guitar - it folds up and fits in an overhead bin on an airplane. I'm a fan not a superfan. Sounds a little tiny to me on the treble strings. The bass strings sound great.

So I'm looking to mix it up a little maybe minimize that tiny sound if that is possible.

I don't remember what is on the guitar now but I'm looking to try about 4-5 different sets/brands.

EB Aluminum Bronze is first on the list.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 AM

EB Aluminum Bronze is what I have on my OF660 and those are what I like best on that guitar. Worth a shot
Old 04-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Consider me a recent D'addario Nickel bronze convert. I don't have a Journey but I have an Emerald X20 & X30. The X20 is strung up with light gauge balanced tension (12-52) and just the other day I put 12-56 (bluegrass gauge) on the X30. Great volume and projection from these strings. I play a little bit of everything including fingerstyle.

I tried the EB aluminum bronze a long time ago and hated them. Playing fingerstyle left a weird grey residue on my fingers each time and the lower tension of the strings couldn't drive the top on the X30 (I never bothered to try them on the X20). To each their own though, strings are a relatively cheap experiment.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:29 AM

I did not like D'addario Nickel Bronze on the OF660. My favorite so far have been La Bella 710M (not your typical set of Silk and Steel- these are phenomenal) and Martin Lifespan M540T.

I'm not an Eiixir fan personally but if you liked everything about those strings except for the top end, maybe you would like Elixir HD lights? Strings 1-3 are beefed up from a light set, I think .013, .017, and .026? I've heard from others this is a good match up for the OF660 if you like Elixirs.

I'm with GuitarLuva on the Aluminum Bronze. Tonally they sound really good on the OF660, but I personally hate the feel and how they turn my fingers black. I wish Ernie Ball would make a coated set.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:16 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
got one of each.
onward and upward.

Last edited by El Duque; 04-05-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:33 PM

Default D'Addario

Recommended to me by a D'Addario rep who plays a Journey OF660:

D'Addario (of course) XT phosphor bronze 12 53. Haven't put them on yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber