The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-16-2020, 08:52 AM

Default Will the Next Emerald Select Series Be Matte Satin?

We haven't seen an Emerald Select Series in several months, so hoping that is because it will be an entire range of matte satin guitars and that we'll see the next one soon.

Simon, any input for us?!
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM

March select series just went live. 5off X20s, quilted maple green with inlays!
No matt this time, maybe next time though i'll have a word

Last edited by Simon@Emerald; 03-16-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:05 AM

Simon,

Now that you showed us the beautiful inlays, how about the next select series be matte satin?...pretty please
Old 03-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

The inlays ARE awesome....but green guitars make me feel a little ill. Sorry...I know it's just me.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Simon,

Now that you showed us the beautiful inlays, how about the next select series be matte satin?...pretty please
Would you buy one if they did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
The inlays ARE awesome....but green guitars make me feel a little ill. Sorry...I know it's just me.
I have to admit it’s not my first choice of colour - but at least 5 people disagree with me, as they’re all sold
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-22-2020, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I have to admit it’s not my first choice of colour - but at least 5 people disagree with me, as they’re all sold
Yeah, I know it's me and I would be willing to bet that they look a LOT better in person. Sitting on my knee perhaps. LOL Great to see them sell so quickly.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Simon,

There are no plans at the moment to offer a full select series in Satin finish.
However are are now able to offer it on customer guitars as a special option.

Unfortunatly I dont have any good photographs and Chloes guitar is still awaiting finishing (customer guitars come first )

If your interested in a Satin guitar, maybe with some special inlays or other ideas, shoot Chloe and myself a message: [email protected], [email protected] (include your forum name so i know who you are)

I know there has been a lot of interest on here in the Satin finish, so maybe if serveral of you guys are interested we can put them all through at one time and start a thread following their progress! let me know your thoughts!

And yes, the select series this month has been one of our most popular. Its great to see! I design the inlay myself and took great pride in being the designer of the first inlays that emerald offered. If you guys have any other ideas on what type of inlays you like or inspiration, please feel free to share them here
Old 03-23-2020, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
If your interested in a Satin guitar, maybe with some special inlays or other ideas, shoot Chloe and myself a message: [email protected], [email protected] (include your forum name so i know who you are)

I know there has been a lot of interest on here in the Satin finish, so maybe if serveral of you guys are interested we can put them all through at one time and start a thread following their progress! let me know your thoughts!
Simon: Just sent you an email.....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-23-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Hi Simon, I just sent you an email
Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
have any other ideas on what type of inlays you like or inspiration, please feel free to share them here
Simon, I just LOVE the inlays in the March select series. Great job on the design! Your role may grow, I could see you becoming Alistair's Official Muse!

Inlays are the one thing I've always wanted in an Emerald. I hate to admit it, but I put inlay stickers on my two X7's...as aesthetically horrible as that is, they help me when learning new tunes. I've toyed with having a luthier put real ones in, as I did with a Webber wood guitar a few years ago (turned out wonderfully!). If you think that could be done with an Emerald neck without destroying it, please share (or PM) your thoughts.

For inlay ideas - thank you for asking. I would offer 4 suggestions:
(1) Shamrock motif (as you did - they look great!)
(2) Small, tasteful Celtic crosses,
(3) Irish-style vine inlay (not overdone)
(4) Diamonds - perhaps stylized a bit, vs straight "Martin" type

If all options chosen were offered in several colors and/or abalone/shell/other cool materials, Alistair would go crazy trying to manage the complexity - and you may be "out" as his muse. But if he could do it, the ability to take stunningly beautiful customization to the next level would be insanely great - for me and perhaps others!
Old 03-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...However we are are now able to offer it on customer guitars as a special option.

If you're interested in a Satin guitar, maybe with some special inlays or other ideas, shoot Chloe and myself a message: [email protected], [email protected] (include your forum name so i know who you are)

I was able to add a satin finish to my Black Limba X30 which I ordered in January. This should be fun to watch...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-26-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Simon, I just LOVE the inlays in the March select series. Great job on the design! Your role may grow, I could see you becoming Alistair's Official Muse!

Inlays are the one thing I've always wanted in an Emerald. I hate to admit it, but I put inlay stickers on my two X7's...as aesthetically horrible as that is, they help me when learning new tunes. I've toyed with having a luthier put real ones in, as I did with a Webber wood guitar a few years ago (turned out wonderfully!). If you think that could be done with an Emerald neck without destroying it, please share (or PM) your thoughts.

For inlay ideas - thank you for asking. I would offer 4 suggestions:
(1) Shamrock motif (as you did - they look great!)
(2) Small, tasteful Celtic crosses,
(3) Irish-style vine inlay (not overdone)
(4) Diamonds - perhaps stylized a bit, vs straight "Martin" type

If all options chosen were offered in several colors and/or abalone/shell/other cool materials, Alistair would go crazy trying to manage the complexity - and you may be "out" as his muse. But if he could do it, the ability to take stunningly beautiful customization to the next level would be insanely great - for me and perhaps others!
Thanks for your suggestions! I think we are gearing towards having a number of "standard" designs for inlays that we will be able to offer, with then the additional option of customising it. Ive already added a few names to the 12th fret etc on a a few builds! I think all of your suggestions there are in line for what we are aiming for!

On adding inlays to your own guitar; its difficult. Im not sure if your guitars have the newer unidirectional carbon fretboard or the gloss finish one, but either has its challenges. In both cases, i found that traditional wood engraving tools to have poor results.

Also worth noting in the newer boards, whilst being an extremly hard wearing surface, its is also a thin surface. Generally id advise against adding them to a guitar because carbon is a very different beast than wood (lord knows it took us long enough to nail the inlays ). Even an experienced luthier wouldnt have "feel" for the carbon fiber.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Generally I'd advise against adding them to a guitar because carbon is a very different beast than wood
Makes sense, I'll stick with (fretboard) stickers for what I have today. Excited to see the possibilities come alive for future Emerald builds!
Old 03-26-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions! I think we are gearing towards having a number of "standard" designs for inlays that we will be able to offer, with then the additional option of customising it. Ive already added a few names to the 12th fret etc on a a few builds! I think all of your suggestions there are in line for what we are aiming for!
I still think Rufus belongs in there somewhere...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-23-2020, 02:29 PM

@Simon or Chloe,

Any update on Chloe's guitar which is being finished in matte? Can't wait to see another example of the matte!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber