The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Default Carbon Fiber Pickup in Binding?

I've been wanting to experiment with CF as a pickup/transmission material for a long time. I know some companies are making carbon fiber pickups that are more after market type pickups and can plug into onboard electronics etc..

*but*

Has anyone given thought to actually incorporating the carbon fiber pickup into the actual structure of the guitar for example my dream pickup system would be like this..

1) Carbon fiber pickup installed all around under the binding (think a ribbon of CF under the binding, totally hidden and is on both the top *and* back binding.

2) Also a carbon fiber pickup laid under the neck!

3) Lastly a CF pickup under the saddle, possibly also from the sadle bridge into the braces out from there to the binding..

I think this thing would rawk! My dream is to test something like this one day. I think when I have a guitar built I am going to explore doing this as an experiment..

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I think it would be the most accurate pickup system out there, and with a good controller would be able to blend easily the neck, front and back binding pickups, and the saddle/bridge pickup..

Dang it, it NEEDS to be done!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Are you wanting a pick up actually made of CF? And able to carry a current? And maybe a filament of CF in a CF what ever?? Doesn't seem possible to me.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

I question how much useful signal would be picked up from the binding. Seems to me that that would be a fairly inert area.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

....whoa...that sounds like a whole lotta work....it so much easier to just step up to a mic...seriously...thats a pretty far out idea...i'm guessing that if you don't do its never gonna happen....of course i want to offer all of my encouragement and wish you the best of luck...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM

Carbon fiber is a conductor and might not be the way to go. Fiberglass might be better and it won't conduct and cause issues.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 AM

Some nice ideas re placement and not seeing the pickup etc, but what's the carbon fibre bit? Where does carbon fibre come in to it? I've never heard of a carbon fibre pickup. I dare say someone has housed a pickup in CF before now, but... Dunno! explain what role you see the CF bit fulfilling please!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification