The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Question A little mahogany problem

I'm doing my first complete restoration on my old Guild d40. Thing have been going pretty well. Especially with all the Youtube help. The problem is that I have a small hole in the side caused my my over sanding. I sure am learning a lot doing this! I think I know how to repair the damage I've done but I need to find a small piece of mahogany about an inch and a half square that's the thickness of the side of the guitar which is probably about an eight of an inch. My question is where in the heck do I find a small piece of mahogany like that. Since this is my first try restoring a guitar I don't have any leftover wood laying around, especially mahogany. Any suggestion would be very much appreciated... Thanks in advance....
Old 02-25-2019, 03:49 PM

Where in the world are you? I've got cutoffs I could stick in an envelope and send you, if you want to pm me your address. Attaching a photo might be helpful.
et al
Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 PM

That is a very generous offer, and nice to see

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-25-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Where in the world are you? I've got cutoffs I could stick in an envelope and send you, if you want to pm me your address. Attaching a photo might be helpful.
This is one of the many reasons that I love this forum. It's filled with good people helping one another.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-25-2019, 07:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you sanded through the side in a small area, it seem improbable to me that you did not make the surrounding area nearly as thin. If so, you'll need a bigger piece of mahogany, to say the least.

It sounds like you plan to plug the hole. If it were me, I'd do a careful join along the grain, but on the end grain portion I would do a long scarf, with something like a 5 to 1 thickness to length ration.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:06 AM

Sanded through the rim..... Yes a larger portion of the side is now too thin and a larger patch than what you see will be needed. The patch will also need bent to match the curve of the rim. Fir that reason I usually start with a much larger piece that I can bend on my iron to match the profile and then cut the matching plug from it at the best fitting location.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 AM

a picture would be helpful. Could this be laminated, and he just sanded through the outer face? I am not that familiar with guild guitars.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Default a little forum help

I took a photo of my guitar to show you all but I'm having trouble posting it. When I go to the image icon it asks for a url... my photo doesn't have a url...How do post a photo here... thanks
Old 02-26-2019, 11:46 AM

I checked out the scrap pile and I have a piece of mahogany about 5"x20"x 1/8" thick. It's got a little cupping, but not too bad. It's too thick to use as a patch, but I can thin it down for you. As others have mentioned, the best repair method depends on exactly the repair needed. Is it a laminate side and you sanded through the top layer, or a solid side and you sanded all the way through? And where exactly is it located? I'd guess it's an area with a lot of curvature, which will require bending the patch. If that's the case, I'd probably use two pieces, with the interior piece cross grain.
Mr. Sexauer's method is the better, but cutting the cross grain scarfs to match might be a bit beyond your tools and abilities.
Anyway, I've got some mahogany that's plenty big enough for your repair and I'll get it off to you when I get a little better idea of what you need.
et al
Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM

Default Hi Rodger

I'm been trying to figure out how to post the photo I took but I can't figure how to do it. When I click on the insert image above it says "Please enter the URL of your image: My photo doesn't have a url. And if I try to drag into this message it doesn't work. Joe
Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerv8 View Post
I'm been trying to figure out how to post the photo I took but I can't figure how to do it. When I click on the insert image above it says "Please enter the URL of your image: My photo doesn't have a url. And if I try to drag into this message it doesn't work. Joe
You need to host your photo online somewhere. All my photo's go up to Google Photo's for example and I can grab the URL from there and paste it in. Others might use some sort of cloud storage like Flickr or Phto Bucket etc...
Old 02-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
a picture would be helpful. Could this be laminated, and he just sanded through the outer face? I am not that familiar with guild guitars.
Roger Knox also asked :”Is it a laminate side and you sanded through the top layer, or a solid side and you sanded all the way through?..”

A Guild D40 should be all solid mahogany body.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:43 PM

It's solid mahogany.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:46 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qVvrTfTUDFPAeJL66

Last edited by tigerv8; 02-26-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: trying to learn how to post image
Old 02-26-2019, 03:51 PM

I've gotten a photo from the OP, and it doesn't look like what we would call a sand through. I'll post the photo tonight, I have to upload it to my website and I can't do that from here.
edit: nevermind, the link is working
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair