The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Default FG 180 advice on repairs, mods, concerns...

I have a 67 FG 180 that I brought to life from the dead. (cracked bridge, bowed top with a "belly",neck issues etc..) After fixing the bridge, eventually re setting the neck and making a brass nut for the guitar I have the action at 2.8 mm at the 12th fret. No real buzzing issues or anything like that.
The brass nut improved the sound of the guitar greatly. I am wondering if a brass saddle would also help (thinking of grooves on each side to reduce the mass). Also- the back bracing below the soundhole is very bulky- has anyone shaved down those thick braces? Any improvements?
And finally- the frets are really worn- it seems the previous owner kept filing them down and lowering the nut to deal with the bowed body/neck.. Would replacing them get the action even better?
Lots of questions- but feel free to give input on any. Or any relavent advice.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 AM

New frets may well play, feel and sound better.

Brass saddles never really caught on though you do see the occasional example.

I see no real improvement modifying back braces on most any instrument.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am surprised to hear of the ”cracked top”, as I believe the FG150/180 had laminated top/back/sides. Why anyone would want to add the weight of a brass saddle to the middle of a top is beyond me.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:37 AM

Yes- the top is laminate. The only part that cracked was the bridge- it was split in half when I got it. Its good now.
I was thinking of adding a brass saddle to increase the tonal properties of the guitar. The brass nut improved the sound a good bit. I though if I made a brass saddle and put grooves on the side (like an I beam) I could have a saddle in similar weight to the plastic one on their now.
It seems though that the work to make one would not be worth it. Though I may do it anyway to see what happens.
thanks for the advice on the back braces- I will just leave that be too.
I have a uke I might be able to trade for new frets. I suppose I should just bring it to a shop and see what they say
Thanks for the replies
Old 01-30-2019, 06:07 PM

The Fg180 model is well sought after, even being a laminate guitar as they sound relatively good as is.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 PM

My FG 180 has issues. Epoxy under the bridge inside the guitar, non circular bridge pin holes -don't work on a guitar drunk... and odd cheese cloth like mesh glued to the middle of the x brace and other braces in what must have been an attempt to deal with the sunken body/belly at the bridge.

Its got a "muddy" tone. which is why the brass nut helped- its made its tone more "crisp". I was hoping a brass saddle might make it even better.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:43 AM

That cheese cloth you’re seeing on the x brace is how it’s reinforced. Likely factory.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:07 AM

Really? It looks very ...amateurish... Plus its not applied in an even manner and its randomly on some braces and not on others.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
That cheese cloth you’re seeing on the x brace is how it’s reinforced. Likely factory.
I do not believe the cloth we see in the X juncture on many guitars (Martins) adds any strength, but rather it is there to hide the ugliness.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I do not believe the cloth we see in the X juncture on many guitars (Martins) adds any strength, but rather it is there to hide the ugliness.
Ha!

I and my recollection of engineering school agree with you. Capping the X joint with a solid piece is more structurally significant.

Perhaps I should have worded that "purportedly reinforced".

Edit -
OP, here's another thread discussing tape/cloth on bracing:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=148260

Last edited by Skarsaune; 01-31-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-31-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I suggest it is there to trade one ugliness for another: a gap and glue vs. a glue-soaked rag. Not my idea of aesthetic improvement.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:19 PM

Come to think of it - the only brace that is broken is one of the ones without the cloth on it.
I guess the "Muddy" tone I am hearing is just me being a crappy guitar player...LOL
Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow creek View Post
My FG 180 has issues. Epoxy under the bridge inside the guitar, non circular bridge pin holes -don't work on a guitar drunk... and odd cheese cloth like mesh glued to the middle of the x brace and other braces in what must have been an attempt to deal with the sunken body/belly at the bridge.

Its got a "muddy" tone. which is why the brass nut helped- its made its tone more "crisp". I was hoping a brass saddle might make it even better.
A properly fitbone/tusq/whatever saddle will make a significant difference; by,"properly fit", I mean that w/o strings, you should be able to pick up the guitar by the saddle with a pair of pliers.

Original Yamaha plastic saddles were loose. Not good.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 PM

"Original Yamaha plastic saddles were loose. Not good."

Yup- you nailed it. The saddle is most certainly loose then. Would the tight fit apply to the ends of the saddle as well? Mine can wiggle left to right just barely....Thanks for the tip- I had never given any thought to the saddle being loose
Old 02-02-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I mean that w/o strings, you should be able to pick up the guitar by the saddle with a pair of pliers.
Umm, that is too tight of a fit, a well fitted saddle will not rock back and forth, will sit flat in the recess and will resist falling out being turned upside down, if you can lift the guitar vee the saddle with a pair of pliers, you have a problem.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair