The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-01-2019, 05:01 PM

Default Fingerstyle ring finger problem

I've been playing fingerstyle for quite a few years and have always used all the fingers except the pinky. Lately though, I've really started to notice that when I play the top string with my ring finger, it just doesn't sound as full/rounded as when I hit it with the middle finger. In fact, it sounds quite shrill in comparison, which isn't good at all! To be honest, I have noticed it before, but it's really started to bother me since I decided to improve my right hand technique etc.

And I'm pretty sure my nails are well cut, I just can't get the sound with my ring to match that of the middle finger, which I'm guessing is a common problem, because I notice many players don't use the ring finger...?? I do know the Africans use their thumb and first finger so there's a more even sound, but that doesn't really help because I'm used to using three fingers - it's just that the it's really jumping out at me now when I hit the top string and it sounds, well, terrible!

Any suggestions? Thanks...
Old 01-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
..I've been playing fingerstyle for quite a few years and have always used all the fingers except the pinky. Lately though, I've really started to notice that when I play the top string with my ring finger, it just doesn't sound as full/rounded as when I hit it with the middle finger......:
By "top string" what are you referring to? To me, the "top string" is always the low E or 6th string. I don't believe I have ever picked that string with a middle or ring finger. For me, that is always going to be thumb or index finger. That's not to say you shouldn't or can't but I see no purpose for doing so. Also, using the pinky is fine too.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:08 PM

Not unusual, same with me. I think it's because my ring fingernail is thinner, more flexible, and has less mass than my other nails. Compare the tone produced when plucking the high E with a thin, flexible pick followed by a heavy, rigid pick. I've tried changing picking angle, nail shape/length, etc. with minimal effect.

Could be why some very accomplished pickers only use their thumb, index and middle finger.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC

Last edited by GGSanders; 01-01-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Practice playing the top string (aka string 1 (high E)) with your ring finger (aka 3rd finger) with a rest stroke to see what kind of tone you can get. Put a little of that angle of attack into your playing. You may be clawing the strings and pull them up some as you pick them. It would likely be a more pronounce upward pull with the ring finger than the others. You don't have to play a full (come to rest on the next string) rest stroke but the idea behind it may help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRmE4GipMc

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-01-2019, 06:48 PM

I used to have the same problem. I “ramped” (angled) the shape of the ring finger nail so it’s higher on the side of my middle finger. I also ramp my index finger in the opposite direction. I found out ramping/angling the nail shapes is pretty common among classical players, which is where I got the idea from. Works for me.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:55 PM

You’re gonna think I’m nuts, but do you polish the under side of your nails?

I had that same problem until I started using super-fine sand paper (or emery boards) on the under side of my ring finger nail.

Gary
Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 PM

When I've had this issue it has turned out to be a nail problem even when I was sure my nails were fine.
after filing my nails I now run a super fine buffing block across them to fine polish the underside of the nail.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
When I've had this issue it has turned out to be a nail problem even when I was sure my nails were fine.
after filing my nails I now run a super fine buffing block across them to fine polish the underside of the nail.

I agree with the above . I had the same problem for the first six or months of playing fingerstyle till I started reading classical guitar websites regarding ramping fingernails for tone . Now before and after each practice session I polish my nails including the underside
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-02-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
By "top string" what are you referring to? To me, the "top string" is always the low E or 6th string. I don't believe I have ever picked that string with a middle or ring finger. For me, that is always going to be thumb or index finger. That's not to say you shouldn't or can't but I see no purpose for doing so. Also, using the pinky is fine too.
By top string, I'm referring to the high E. To be honest, I've never heard of the low E being referred to as anything other than the bottom string, but each to their own. Maybe a left-hander using an upside down guitar would play the low E with their ring finger, but I definitely play it with my thumb...
Old 01-02-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGSanders View Post
Not unusual, same with me. I think it's because my ring fingernail is thinner, more flexible, and has less mass than my other nails. Compare the tone produced when plucking the high E with a thin, flexible pick followed by a heavy, rigid pick. I've tried changing picking angle, nail shape/length, etc. with minimal effect.

Could be why some very accomplished pickers only use their thumb, index and middle finger.
All agreed. That said, I added a steeper 'ramp' to the thumb side of the nail, whilst shortening it, which has definitely made a difference as the longer the nail the higher the tone seemed to be. Hopefully, that may well have solved the problem.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Practice playing the top string (aka string 1 (high E)) with your ring finger (aka 3rd finger) with a rest stroke to see what kind of tone you can get. Put a little of that angle of attack into your playing. You may be clawing the strings and pull them up some as you pick them. It would likely be a more pronounce upward pull with the ring finger than the others. You don't have to play a full (come to rest on the next string) rest stroke but the idea behind it may help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRmE4GipMc

Excellent! Will practice this today. Many thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
I used to have the same problem. I “ramped” (angled) the shape of the ring finger nail so it’s higher on the side of my middle finger. I also ramp my index finger in the opposite direction. I found out ramping/angling the nail shapes is pretty common among classical players, which is where I got the idea from. Works for me.

Yes, I did exactly that late last night, and it's definitely helping. Many thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
You’re gonna think I’m nuts, but do you polish the under side of your nails?

I had that same problem until I started using super-fine sand paper (or emery boards) on the under side of my ring finger nail.

Gary
Yes, done that too, which definitely helps (so perfectly sane! ). Thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
By "top string" what are you referring to? To me, the "top string" is always the low E or 6th string.
The convention is to call the 1st string the top string, because it's highest in pitch. Physical position in normal playing is not relevant.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 AM

Clive Carroll demonstrates a useful RH exercise here: controlling different dynamics for each p-i-m-a finger:

(You can do it on any chord you like, it doesn't have to be those juicy Villa-Lobos chords!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write