The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 04:06 PM

Liquid metal - no.
Liquid nails - yes.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Liquid metal - no.
Liquid nails - yes.

I love it when you post photos of some of the cutting edge modifications you make to your guitars, Bruce....I think we can all agree that that’s visually elegant as well as sonically impressive!

Wade Hampton “I Wish I Had Your Touch” Miller
Old 11-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

I read the link Jon, very interesting and new to me...did I mention I’d been wrong before? So injection molded like MIM, but no dewaxing or sintering? Any idea on the cost comparison? Since these are bridge pins vs. something requiring highly specific technical properties I assume the time/process reduction is economical and the driving factor. Is the cost comparable to polymer injection molding?

I’m retired now, but used to be involved in these type processes...so now I’m just curious. Thanks for the info
Old 11-28-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
I read the link Jon, very interesting and new to me...did I mention I’d been wrong before? So injection molded like MIM, but no dewaxing or sintering? Any idea on the cost comparison? Since these are bridge pins vs. something requiring highly specific technical properties I assume the time/process reduction is economical and the driving factor. Is the cost comparable to polymer injection molding?

I’m retired now, but used to be involved in these type processes...so now I’m just curious. Thanks for the info

I don't have cost info. I read about them 2 yrs ago and have no further interest. Sounds like hocus-pocus.

I prefer ivory or bone pins.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Sounds like hocus-pocus.
Actually, in order to increase profits Martin Corporate decided to leave out the hocus, so they are only gonna pocus with this reimagined innovation.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Call me stupid but if bridge pins make that much of a difference, why would something better that cost so little not already be employed by a guitar builder?
...I'm listening.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-28-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Actually, having pins that look good, don't get bottom slot spread, don't impact the sound in a negative way and last a good long time is always a good idea. I'll be interested in trying a set or two
I had a bad case of bottom slot spread once, but I got better.

Think I'll go for a walk.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Liquid metal - no.
Liquid nails - yes.

If this is the new “distressed” top, I doubt bridge pins are even necessary.

Also, this is why my wife never asks me to repair stuff around the house when it breaks.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:08 AM

With the "reimagining" going-on on bridge pins, will they start tapering their bridge pin holes again so that they properly fit tapered bridge pins? Or will the new pins be cylindrical, without taper?

Part of the justification that owners of older Martins give for the sound is the use of the heavy T-shaped metal non-adjustable truss rods. How does that square with the "reimagined" lighter-than-steel titanium rods?

"Good" sounding guitars, by definition, have sufficient volume and sustain. How much more volume and sustain do players want in a steel string acoustic instrument? With an amplified instrument it becomes largely moot.

It's a tough tight-rope to walk being the traditionalist in the market place while attempting to grow market share by doing something new to appeal to a greater audience.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:50 AM

"Liquid Metal" seems either too toxic (Mercury) or Skynet (Terminator) to be practical. . . .

Though perhaps Bismuth might be fun as it melts from the energy of string vibration . . .
Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 AM

I just thought that I'd be the one to make it 3 pages before noon... but I guess not.

Last edited by Mr Bojangles; 11-29-2018 at 08:15 AM. Reason: change
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I stand corrected on the 3 pages. Maybe everyone punched themselves out in the other thread.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 11-30-2018, 12:04 AM

LiquidMetal is a company based on the zirconium-based bulk metallic glasses invented by my PhD advisor. Due to their amorphous, non-crystalline structure these materials have high strength and low damping while being pretty light. So they might make good bridge pins. They have been used in golf clubs and electronic cases as well as some military applications.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbsBruce View Post
LiquidMetal is a company based on the zirconium-based bulk metallic glasses invented by my PhD advisor. Due to their amorphous, non-crystalline structure these materials have high strength and low damping while being pretty light. So they might make good bridge pins. They have been used in golf clubs and electronic cases as well as some military applications.
Which implies that C.F. Martin thinks that zirconia-based bridge pins create a big enough improvement to be marketable. That's very interesting!
Old 11-30-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Which implies that C.F. Martin thinks that zirconia-based bridge pins create a big enough improvement to be marketable. That's very interesting!
Which implies that C. F. Martin believes that by marketing zirconia-based bridge pins consumers will believe that the pins create a big enough improvement for consumers to buy them.

They don't have to "prove" that the pins do anything, good, bad or indifferent, they just have to have consumers believe it. And, they really want to.

If you manufacture a product, and want to sell more of that product in an already "full" market with lots of competition, you have to offer something consumers perceive as new or better, something that differentiates your product from the rest of the market. There are many examples of that being done by guitar manufacturers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion