The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2019, 03:14 AM

Default Is anyone using a single LDC Mic for live solo singer/songwriter gigs?

Hi all,

I did a small support gig the other day where I sang and played though a single LDC (a Studio Projects B3 I think so nothing fancy)... it as really nice and I got a lot of compliments on the sound.

So I've been thinking this is something I could do for some of my own small gigs - I have a Rode NT1a but, when I hooked it up to my AER Compact 60, it feeds back almost instantly even at home volumes.

Is the RODE an appropriate mic for this setup through a PA? Is it the AER that's at fault perhaps (it can be a bit honky/toppy at time)...

If anyone is using a single LDC for gigs what are they using?

I'm aware that going down this route is reliant upon quiet venues and not using monitors so I don't need to be told that - a lot of my gigs are folk clubs and similar so I'd only be using this setup at appropriate venues, i have my pickups for other gigs...
Old 06-24-2019, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

My band uses four ETL ‘Louise’ LDC mics - one per member - for instrument and voice, through a Bose L1 with the B2 bass module. They sound superb. If I was looking for a mic for solo work, that’s the one I’d go for.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 AM

I use a single AT 4050 for solo, duo, and four piece band gigs. I have dozens of various mics and plenty of PA gear , but prefer this set-up. I do sometimes use a single ribbon (cheap MXL with slight mods) as well.
I do feel most performers I see/hear would fair better if they got rid of most of their gear and focused more on their performance and mic technique.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

From my experience with singer songwriter gigs, assuming it’s a “listening room”, any decent mic, being a LDC, SDC, or dynamic mic is better then a pick up. As canerod states you do have to have some technique when using a mic, such as Knowing we’re to place the mic, limited movement and working the mic for dynamics. Having both a pick up and an external mic for the guitar gives you loads of flexibility.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerod View Post
I use a single AT 4050 for solo, duo, and four piece band gigs. I have dozens of various mics and plenty of PA gear , but prefer this set-up. I do sometimes use a single ribbon (cheap MXL with slight mods) as well.
I do feel most performers I see/hear would fair better if they got rid of most of their gear and focused more on their performance and mic technique.
That's almost my train of thought on this - in the right venues just having a mic would mean that the volume would HAVE to be appropriate, whereas sometimes I feel that by plugging in you're almost tempting the soundperson to start cranking it and adding reverb, and more low end and a bit of top and, before you know it, the sound's all messed up...

My current rig of K&K's with a Grace Felix allows me to send a pretty good signal to the desk and I try to emphasise to the sound techs that it can be quiet if it needs to be...

Anyway, been looking into this over the last few days and it seems to be a bit of a minefield - for everyone saying 'x mic' works great, someone else says 'x mic doesn't work' - the only mics people seem to be consistent on are the ETL Mics, but they're a bit pricey for me at this point as I don't know how often I'd be in the position to use this setup...

I have a low volume gig at the weekend in a small venue that I'm tempted to take my RODE NT1a along to to see what happens - my fear is that the NT1a seems to be quite sensitive and a bit bright so I'm not sure how that will work, but I suppose there's only one way to find out?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:19 PM

My band uses an ETL Josephine. We add a second mic, AT 40?? if there are too many of us for the 1 mic. It works well, sounds great, but it can't go very loud.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
- the only mics people seem to be consistent on are the ETL Mics, but they're a bit pricey
I've noticed this as well. I wonder if there is a poll on here of single mic users and preference?

I may search when I have more time.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but I did a show the other day using a Shure KSM32 that belongs to a friend of mine as my only amplification. It was a small gig in an old church with a seated (and listening) audience so probably the ideal situation for a single mic'd performance.

I really enjoyed it! Soundcheck was dead simple - basically we just bought the mic up in the FOH until it was on the edge of feeding back and then backed it off and made sure you could hear the guitar and the voice.

I had lots of positive feedback from the audience, and not just from guitar players (who normally are the only people who mention the sound rather than the songs) and I definitely will be looking to go down this route at more gigs.

Here's a video (from my phone) of the performance:

I've also tried this mic through my AER at home and it's a lot less prone to feedback than my Rode NT1a... I think this is due to the fact there's less highend boost going on, and also the pickup pattern appears to be really consistent throughout the whole range...
Old 10-26-2019, 06:29 PM

That sounds great. Somehow it's more involving to listen to.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
That sounds great. Somehow it's more involving to listen to.
Thanks - I also found it more involving to play - there wasn't that sense of 'detachment' from the sound which I think you can sometimes feel when amplified...

Been doing more research into this the last few days and it seems the KSM32 is a well regarded mic for this, but I'm still intrigued by the ETL Edwina (despite some people complaining about the cheapness of the parts).

To be 100% honest part of the appeal is the look, which I know is shallow of me but it is SHOWbusiness at the end of the day, and I think the ETL mics look great. I've also read nothing but praise for them from people using them for the same thing that I want to do...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification