The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-21-2019, 04:37 PM

Default David Gilmore's Black Strat sold for $3.9M

You may have heard that David Gilmore's (Pink Floyd) guitar collection was auctioned. The guitars sold for $21.5 M. His 1969 Fender Strat sold for $3,975,000. It's been customized over the years and is called the Black Strat. Great piece of guitar history.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/david...uction-2511676

Your thoughts?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Default David Gilmore's Black Strat sold for $3.9M

I know that this “black strat” has gotten tremendous press the last couple years, but what is puzzling me is that big Dave was reported to have a fender strat with serial number 00001 at one time. Supposedly the first production strat ever offered to the general public. Where is that guitar, I’d like to know. I couldn’t afford his, but I still have mine!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:28 PM

Man! That is just amazing. I would have wanted 0001 more then the black Strat but so it goes... Wow! Good for him and great for his charity!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I know that this “black strat” has gotten tremendous press the last couple years, but what is puzzling me is that big Dave was reported to have a fender strat with serial number 00001 at one time. Supposedly the first production strat ever offered to the general public. Where is that guitar, I’d like to know. I couldn’t afford his, but I still have mine!
Normally a Telecaster/Stratocaster type of guy but man, that Jazzmaster of yours!
Old 06-22-2019, 04:34 AM

Thank you Steel, it’s a great playing guitar. Real pretty too!
Old 06-22-2019, 06:50 AM

Default That 0001 strat

Found this in a description on Reverb for a replica:

The cool backstory on 0001, a bit of a Frankenstein guitar: In 1976 Seymour Duncan, then a Santa Barbara California guitar repair tech, came into possession of a 1957 Stratocaster body. He found a '57 neck for it, and wound a set of pickups for it. He sold it to Phil Taylor, Gilmour's guitar tech, who later sold it to Gilmour for $900. While the neck plate is stamped 0001, it is not the first Stratocaster built. Gilmour first used the guitar on his 1978 solo album, and then extensively on The Wall album.

https://reverb.com/item/6761572-fend...-olympic-white
Old 06-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You may have heard that David Gilmore's (Pink Floyd) guitar collection was auctioned. The guitars sold for $21.5 M. His 1969 Fender Strat sold for $3,975,000. It's been customized over the years and is called the Black Strat. Great piece of guitar history.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/david...uction-2511676

Your thoughts?
My personal thoughts are that it's great that money like can be raised for a good cause . But personally I have never desired to own any of my guitar "heros" personal instruments, or felt the compulsion to own a piece of history.

Although in full disclosure I do own a limited run first edition, of the Allen Hines signature "Soul Driven" Drive pedal by Xotic

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-22-2019, 09:32 AM

I suppose in an imaginary world where I could afford that sort of thing, I'd be in the bidding, as romantic as that sort of thing is. The only practical time that I was tempted was an Ebay auction for a Fender 52 Tele re-issue that claimed it was documented Robert Quine-owned being sold shortly after his death.

I think it went for roughly the price of just another 52 RI Telecaster, a model I was in the market for at the time anyway.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-23-2019, 04:18 PM

I learned two things just now. The 1954 Stratocaster with serial number 0001, owned by Mr. Gilmore sold at his auction for $1.8 million dollars(as reported by Rolling Stone magazine). This is very interesting to me that the Black Strat fetched over two times that amount, being a mongrel guitar with countless changes made to it over the years. But, undoubtably, it was the body of work recorded and played on it giving undeniable provenance to fetch that $3.975 million in the sale.

Bravo I say. I wonder if Leo Fender would understand this love affair we have with his creations?

Secondly, all proceeds of the auction were being given to a charity concerning global warming. Good on you Mr. er, ah...which one’s Pink?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM

Here's the new owner

https://fox59.com/2019/06/21/colts-o...rly-4-million/
Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 AM

That's the most expensive guitar case I've heard of!!

https://fox59.com/2019/06/21/colts-o...rly-4-million/
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 AM

For a second there I thought seeing a typo, but a quick gogole search proved that Strads still auction at a lot higher prices than this hunk of wood with its collection of various metal wires O:-)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Chump change for Irsay.

Glad he has it though because, like Paul Allan, he really appreciates what musicians like Gilmour and Hendrix accomplished with their gifts.

BTW, it is well documented that the Strat with serial #0001 is NOT the first Strat. It is an early one though and that's very cool indeed.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Pretty wild. So Jim paid 3.9 for David's and 957K for Jerry Garcia's Tiger. Those numbers should be the other way around IMO but Tiger was bought long ago and set records then. God knows what Tiger would auction for on the open market this day and age. I'm glad too that Jim bought them because he is known to let the guitars out and be played. Jerry's Wolf guitar was just loaned to John Mayer at the most recent Dead & Co. NYC show. I still think the owner of Wolf is secret. I think I read The Met was who loaned it out. John was offered to play Tiger by Jim a few years ago but he declined as he was not ready to do that. I think he's ready now. I'd love to see him playing Tiger up there.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I learned two things just now. The 1954 Stratocaster with serial number 0001, owned by Mr. Gilmore sold at his auction for $1.8 million dollars(as reported by Rolling Stone magazine). This is very interesting to me that the Black Strat fetched over two times that amount, being a mongrel guitar with countless changes made to it over the years. But, undoubtably, it was the body of work recorded and played on it giving undeniable provenance to fetch that $3.975 million in the sale.

Bravo I say. I wonder if Leo Fender would understand this love affair we have with his creations?

Secondly, all proceeds of the auction were being given to a charity concerning global warming. Good on you Mr. er, ah...which one’s Pink?
Leo Fender was a genius with his amps and guitars. Wish he could have seen this guitar go for $4M.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars