The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-20-2019, 11:57 PM

Default Help! Need Advice from Emerald Owners

Hi all,

I came here a while back wanting advice in adding a humbucker to my CA Xi and some suggested I just buy an Emerald. I love the thin profile on my Xi and at the Ike had little interest in changing body size. The middle of the Xi is under 3” deep.

I’ve just pulled the trigger and ordered an X10 woody with a Zircote top and Level 3 electronics and I’ve had a moment of fear and told them to make it 1” thinner. Now I’m second guessing that choice and am having fears that it will kill the acoustic tone. Actually rarely play unplugged but still enjoy good tone.

Anyone have both a Composite Acoustics Xi and an Emerald X10 that can describe the difference in feel? Emerald tells me they feel much smaller than their measurements. Is that true?

Composite Acoustics GXi
Composite Acoustics Cargo
1991 Taylor 614ce
2003 Taylor 814ce
1988 Larrivee C10e
1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2015 Prestige Heritage
2020 Prestige Ace Coupe
2019 Emerald X10
2021 Emerald Virtuo
Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I haven't played a Composite Acoustics Xi, so can't speak directly to a comparison. However, I see in your signature that you have a couple x14 Taylors; I have an 814ce, and the X10 feels much smaller.

I ordered my X10 with the Level 2 pickups and a slightly shorter scale at 24.6". It is a very comfortable guitar, and the standard 1 11/16" nut width feels "faster" than my X20 or X10. Acoustic sound wise, the X10 has a very nice balance in tone, but is a bit quieter than I expected. (based on my experience with the X7 and X20) I would expect (but can't speak with any authority) a 1" reduction in depth would reduce the volume somewhat.

Evan has an X10 Custom thin body nylon that he finds has even better acoustic tone than he expected. Scott (Methos) has an X10 nylon that has a slim body, so maybe he will chime in on this.

When I look at my (standard body) X10, the body width appears thick. When I pick it up to play, it feels very comfortable. I like the tone unplugged, and really appreciate the tonal variety plugged in. If you aren't playing with a bunch of other acoustic players, a small reduction in volume is insignificant.

Wish I could specifically address your comparison, but the X10 is a delight.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Evan has an X10 Custom thin body nylon that he finds has even better acoustic tone than he expected. Scott (Methos) has an X10 nylon that has a slim body, so maybe he will chime in on this.

Wish I could specifically address your comparison, but the X10 is a delight.
Actually, Evan has an X7 custom thin body now but he used to own an X10 Custom slim body which I now own! Like the Captain, I have never played a CA Xi but I am in the unique position to comment on an X10 slim body. Before buying Evan's X10 Custom slim body nylon I had already been an owner of several custom Emeralds including X20's and X7's in both the old and new style body. I, too, was a little worried about a lack of tone with the X10 but I can say that I was quite pleasantly surprised with just how much tone the slim line body actually had. I'd love to compare it some day to a full width body X10 just to see.

Mine is just a level one pickup system so mine does not have as much electronics jam packed into the body as a level three which might affect your tone but whereas like me you play predominantly amplified I think you will be pleasantly surprised. What I can say for certain is that the slightly reduced slim body combined with Emerald's excellent contoured body makes this X10 the single most comfortable guitar I've ever played. The Captain is right - the X10 is a delight in every way!

I think you'll be ecstatic with your custom when it arrives. Congratulations on your order!
Old 06-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Scott, thanks for the clarification and correction - I thought Evan's red slim-line custom was an X10, well before the release of the new body X10s last year. "Mis-remembering," I guess.

I think the Level 2 pickup with the humbucking PU on top of the body (at the base of the fretboard) has to have some affect to the acoustic sound - that's quite an addition in an area that is producing sound. For what it brings when plugged in, I think it is an acceptable trade-off. When I talked with Alistair about the X10, he said if I wanted the best pure acoustic tone in that body size, go with the X7. For me, the X10 is more about the tone options when plugged in.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Guest 928

Gauci;

I call my X7 a "thin-bodied" electric acoustic--it is 2" thick. Alistair and I were both surprised at its tonal and projection qualities. Alistair is now making me a thin-bodied X10 electric acoustic because I'd like a bit more bout.

The 10 owned by Methos is a "slim-bodied" instrument, approximately the same size as what you've order. I have a full sized 10 and would say that the slim 10 equals the full size in tonal qualities and has slightly diminished projection. As an acoustic electric the slim has dynamite projection.

My comparisons are based on nylon strung instruments but should be reflected in steel string versions.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the comfort and sound of your 10.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM

I haven't played a CA Xi but my normal x10 has felt perfect size just as it is. Sure, it's not as thin as an electric but with the fancy angles and whatnot, it feels far smaller than it is... I'd try to find a forum member near you too try one out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber