The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 07-18-2018, 06:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Optima Vintageflex - the Newtone Heritage competition

Hello All,

We are happy to announce that the Optima Vintageflex strings are now available... and on sale until Wed July 25th 10 AM EST. It's too bad that Newtone decided to cease sales to dealers in the USA, but there is a great alternative for low/even tension phosphor bronze strings, please read...

A/B Comparison
I had two gigs within 3 days of each other. Played the Newtone Heritage 11's on the 1st gig for 3 hours straight, then the Optima Vintageflex 11's on the 2nd gig, which was 4 hours straight. I must say that the Optima's had a clear edge over the Newtone's, they are a higher quality string. Now right off the bat, the Newtones had a cooler piano like bang, but that goes away very quickly.

Plain Strings
The plain e & b of the Newtones were tarnished and trashed by the end of the gig, whereas the Optimas retained their like new sheen and sparkle.

Wound Strings
Both are hand wound strings. The wound strings seemed to go dead on the Newtones by hour 2 and the Optimas retained their tone and playability throughout the 4 hour gig.

Gauges & Playability
By comparing the gauges on paper they are identical, but after playing them back to back, I can tell you that the Optimas are a touch lighter in tension, which to me, was better for such a long gig. I did not break out a micrometer, but I assume the cores of the Optimas are either a touch thinner, or the metal is softer.

Conclusion
So in conclusion, yes, the Optimas are higher priced (and are MAP, so you'll see the same bottom price anywhere), but you get what you pay for - a string that lasts longer and out performs in the long run.

The nitty gritty - Price
The Vintageflex are a firm MAP price no lower than $15.15, but right now we have them at a special introductory offer of 20% off - USE COUPON CODE VF20 during checkout to bring the price down to $12.12 per set.

SHOP OPTIMA VINTAGEFLEX

Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM

Are single strings available or custom sets? I like to beef up the E and A strings.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Going to place an order now
Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings By Mail View Post

Played the Newtone Heritage 11's on the 1st gig for 3 hours straight

The plain e & b of the Newtones were tarnished and trashed by the end of the gig

The wound strings seemed to go dead on the Newtones by hour 2
I'm sorry, but I'm going to call you out on this.

I understand you are trying to promote a new product.... but... This is in no way , at all, in any way, my experience with Newtone Heritage strings. Which, I have used for several years now and even bought them from your website.

I found Newtone Heritage strings to be long lasting and hold their tone for a long time compared to other non-coated strings. I also suffer from acidic hands and I never experienced tarnishing of the plain e/b strings like you describe. They would have to be on my guitar for months before that would happen.

I might try The strings you are promoting, but I can't agree, at all, with your assessment of the Newtone strings. I can almost guarantee that other's experiences match mine more so then yours, especially after chating with other Heritage users on this board.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 07-18-2018, 02:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Mercy - we will certainly look into stocking singles. As a special order we can get them no problem, but may take a few weeks.

Wasper - I don't doubt you have had great experiences with Heritage strings, many players do, hence their popularity. But in no way have I warped my review for promotional purposes. Every player experiences a set of strings a different way.

I probably should have prefaced the review with:
I am a string killer, can only get my go to gigging strings to last up to 8 hours for my personal taste, so the numbers and opinions I am presenting are from my hands only.
On my regular gigging strings, I can only get 8 hours, which I have been using just this year. For 8 years on the set I played before, direct comparison strings from a different manufacturer, could only get 4 hours. I've come to accept this string fate... and happy that I get strings at an employee discount, replacing every 1-2 weeks.

The Newtones, as described do have that piano like sparkle/bang when brand new... but not all sets. We've had many complaints about Newtones dead on arrival, which is one reason why we started carrying the singles, for quick replacement, which can happen from time to time across many manufacturers.

Ben Richey
Operations Director - SBM
Old 07-18-2018, 06:01 PM

Im a big Heritage fan. Too bad they are currently not available. It is my understanding that they are negotiating an exclusive dealership with a US company or store.
Anyway my experience is that the first day they are just wonderful. Each day after they loose some of that sparkle to the place where in a week I cant determine any loss. They still sound good and for a long time, months, but when they get to the place they wont tune its time to put a new set on.
In all the years Ive been using them Ive only had one set, from SBM, that was bad. Newtone sent me a new set, no charge for even the postage.
I am anxious to try these Optima's though as I really like SBM.
I will say that it will be cheaper to buy Newtone's direct than to buy Optima's from SBM, it just will take longer.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:40 PM

I put a set of Newtones Heritage on my J45 about a month ago.
So far they are holding up well and haven't lost much. I have played a couple of three hour gigs with them and I play the guitar a bit everyday.
I'll try the Optima's and see how they work.
I also have some Curt Mangan Round Cores on order to try.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Try the Newtone website

Newtone strings are easily purchased via their website (at least for us Aussies).

Their service and postage are outstanding. I am happy to use their Heritage strings and also several other types of string that they make.

Quote:
I probably should have prefaced the review with:
I am a string killer, can only get my go to gigging strings to last up to 8 hours for my personal taste, so the numbers and opinions I am presenting are from my hands only.

Ben Richey
Operations Director - SBM
I'm glad you added the qualification Ben...it was certainly needed.

Last edited by colins; 07-19-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Hello All,

We are happy to announce that the Optima Vintageflex strings are now available... and on sale until Wed July 25th 10 AM EST. It's too bad that Newtone decided to cease sales to dealers in the USA, but there is a great alternative for low/even tension phosphor bronze strings, please read...

A/B Comparison
I had two gigs within 3 days of each other. Played the Newtone Heritage 11's on the 1st gig for 3 hours straight, then the Optima Vintageflex 11's on the 2nd gig, which was 4 hours straight. I must say that the Optima's had a clear edge over the Newtone's, they are a higher quality string. Now right off the bat, the Newtones had a cooler piano like bang, but that goes away very quickly.

Plain Strings
The plain e & b of the Newtones were tarnished and trashed by the end of the gig, whereas the Optimas retained their like new sheen and sparkle.

Wound Strings
Both are hand wound strings. The wound strings seemed to go dead on the Newtones by hour 2 and the Optimas retained their tone and playability throughout the 4 hour gig.

Gauges & Playability
By comparing the gauges on paper they are identical, but after playing them back to back, I can tell you that the Optimas are a touch lighter in tension, which to me, was better for such a long gig. I did not break out a micrometer, but I assume the cores of the Optimas are either a touch thinner, or the metal is softer.

Conclusion
So in conclusion, yes, the Optimas are higher priced (and are MAP, so you'll see the same bottom price anywhere), but you get what you pay for - a string that lasts longer and out performs in the long run.

The nitty gritty - Price
The Vintageflex are a firm MAP price no lower than $15.15, but right now we have them at a special introductory offer of 20% off - USE COUPON CODE VF20 during checkout to bring the price down to $12.12 per set.

SHOP OPTIMA VINTAGEFLEX

Hi Ben,

I am interested in trying these but see that on a traditional light gauge set the low E string is a 51 gauge. That sounds a little skimpy to me as I am used to 12-54's and like a good solid bass tone. Any experience with what that 51 gauge sounds like or if I am used to 12-54's in other sets would I be happier with the Optima 13-55s?

Thanks for your input.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 AM

you would probably like replacing the E on that set with a heavier one. That is what I do with the Newtones. The 11's come with a 47 and I replace it with a 51 and put the 47 on the A. The set A doesnt get used.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
you would probably like replacing the E on that set with a heavier one. That is what I do with the Newtones. The 11's come with a 47 and I replace it with a 51 and put the 47 on the A. The set A doesnt get used.
Thanks, mercy. Makes sense.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
As I previously said, I have the Newtone 13-55's on my J45 right now.
They play pretty easily and the 45 is set up a little higher than what my other guitars are. I like them, they are loud and the bass is strong.
I'll likely go with the 13's on the Optima's as well for a trial run.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-21-2018, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Thanks, mercy. Makes sense.

Best,
Jayne
Hi Jayne - Newtone have increased their range of gauges - https://newtonestrings.com/shop/mast...stic-6-string/

I have been putting 11-52 on my Wingert (after luthier Laurie Williams got me hooked on them), but may buy some 12-54 and see how they sound.

Col
Old 07-21-2018, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

Ben,

Have you compared the Optima low tensions against the Thomastik Infeld Plectrums?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:36 AM

I generally just stick with the Newtone Masterclass rather than the Heritage. The one exception is my two old 12 string guitars one of which is a pre-War instrument and has no neck reinforcement. So the obvious question is are the Optima strings currently available in a 12 string set. If not any inkling that they will be down the line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace