The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-23-2015, 05:13 AM

Default Anyone install a pickup in their resonator -and are happy with the results?

I have a square neck wooden body resonator and need to amplify if for playing with a band.

What solutions have you guys found that works well?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Sounds like you probalby have a spider cone.

Rob's article is a great place to start. http://squareneckjournal.com/2015/02...onator-guitar/

It's a much easier question to answer with National style guitars as there are so few choices...
Old 09-23-2015, 10:35 AM

I play round neck. I have a Goldtone spider bridge (wood body) and a National M-1 wooden tri-cone. I have had 3 pickups in the Goldtone and zero in the National. ( both Lace models and a K and K). None of them come close to producing the sound of the resonator. The tri-cone p/u's are very expensive and because of the results in the Goldtone, I am not even going to try one. I have been playing with different mic's. I really believe that is the way to go for best enhancement of that reso sound.
I have been reading what Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch did years ago. They completely got away from p/u's and went to SM57's. They said in an article that because QC on SM57 is not the best, each one has different nuances from the other. They carry , I don't know 10 or so, different ones with them and sound test them for different venues. Volume control is simply closer or farther away. I know this isn't the answer for everyone but it is simple, effective and inexpensive. Plus, I can't argue with those two....
( I realize Dave and Gillian don't play a reso, but Dave's guitar has certain reso characteristics and it is harder to achieve good amplification than a flattop)

Last edited by MartyGraw; 09-23-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 PM

First the good news - yes, there is a pickup made specifically for Squareneck resonator guitar - Fishman Nashville Series resophonic guitar pickup/Aura pedal - and it works very well indeed. There's no bad news per se, but the total costs of the pickup, installation and reverb and/or delay pedals that you'll want/need to make your plug-in rig sound at its best is not cheap. In addition it's important to note that the installation of the pickup is definitely not a DIY project for most folks.

I'd estimate the cost of the pickup and installation (and in many cases shipping to/from qualified repairman) in the neighborhood of $500-$600 and another $150-$300 for spatial effects (reverb and/or delay). The pickup sounds much, much better with spatial effects in most cases.

At this point in time the Fishman Nashville Series Pickup / Aura pedal is hands down the best pickup for Squareneck resonator guitars available. For more information I recommend visiting www.reso-nation.org

I've had this pickup in my guitar for the past couple of years and I've played in many different venues and in most cases it sounds great. It took me awhile to dial in the sound I was looking by trialing different reverb/delay pedals but once I got it dialed it in it has given me way better consistency in sound from one gig venue to the next. It allows me to get the sound I like and cut through the mix in places which were previously impossible. All of this comes with a fairly steep price tag however. So it's definitely not for everyone

Here's a YouTube video demo of my guitar with the Fishman pickup which gives you a sense of how the pickup sounds with/without the Aura pedal as well as different settings on the pedal itself

Hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/Vi1U81KwQII

Last edited by Rob Anderlik; 09-25-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:02 PM

I installed a GHS mic and found a company in the UK that makes a single AA battery holder that allows access from the outside so you don't have to remove anything change the battery. A little extra work but easy access.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Rob knows what he's talking about, and I agree with him. The Nashville system is a close to a universal "best" answer as you're going to find.

That said, it is really expensive. I only play the dobro on a few songs per gig, and went with the standard Fishman "donut" piezo pickup. It puts out a really low-level signal so it needs the right preamp and EQ, but otherwise I think it sounds pretty darned good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Anderlik View Post
First the good news - yes, there is a pickup made specifically for Squareneck resonator guitar - Fishman Nashville Series resophonic guitar pickup/Aura pedal - and it works very well indeed. There's no bad news per se, but the total costs of the pickup, installation and reverb and/or delay pedals that you'll want/need to make your plug-in rig sound at its best is not cheap. In addition it's important to note that the installation of the pickup is definitely not a DIY project for most folks.

I'd estimate the cost of the pickup and installation (and in many cases shipping to/from qualified repairman) in the neighborhood of $500-$600 and another $150-$300 for spatial effects (reverb and/or delay). The pickup sounds much, much better with spatial effects in most cases.

At this point in time the Fishman Nashville Series Pickup / Aura pedal is hands down the best pickup for Squareneck resonator guitars available. For more information I recommend visiting www.reso-nation.org

I've had this pickup in my guitar for the past couple of years and I've played in many different venues and in most cases it sounds great. It took me awhile to dial in the sound I was looking by trialing different reverb/delay pedals but once I got it dialed it in it has given me way better consistency in sound from one gig venue to the next. It allows me to get the sound I like and cut through the mix in places which were previously impossible. All of this comes with a fairly steep price tag however. So it's definitely not for everyone

Here's a YouTube video demo of my guitar with the Fishman pickup which gives you a sense of how the pickup sounds with/without the Aura pedal as well as different settings on the pedal itself

Hope this helps!

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 10-02-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Anderlik View Post

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I have a vintage RQ Jones resonator. How much cutting, hacking, sawing, jack hammering, etc. does the pickup install require?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:29 PM

With regrets, I can't answer your question since I had mine professionally installed by luthier Kent Schoonover

That said, from everything that I've read over the years, unless you really know what you are doing, have extensive experience with resonator guitars, etc, this is not a DIY installation.

One of the most common issues that DIY's have experienced is damaging the pickup by jamming it in the spider during the setup. I opted to have Kent replace the spider in my guitar with his modular spider which is designed to work with the Fishman Nashville Series pickup. It costs an extra $80 but it works perfectly. Beard Guitars offers a similar spider as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 PM

I have an old D-60 Dobro that I put the Beard/Fishman Classic Active in ages ago.

It works fine, although I'm sure more sophisticated stuff is around nowadays. But it was relatively inexpensive and simple.

I put a hole in the body below the factory strap button, because the jack preamp would run into the cone otherwise. The battery is just inside one of the screen holes and easy to access, but the battery lasts forever.

Last edited by kydave; 10-04-2015 at 04:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments