The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2021, 10:23 PM

Question Fishman Loudbox Artist ext. Speaker?

Hey y'all! I am currently a solo performer! Prior to all this Covid19 junk I used my beloved Fishman Loudbox Artist (FLA) every weekend. I love it. I've also used it when standing in for a popular cover band in the area and was recently asked to be a more permanent member. For this band I will be playing acoustic guitar and my sax. I'd like to continue using my FLA for both but it isn't loud enough to keep up with the Marshall stack, Ampeg stack, and drums! I generally run my FLA into a powered speaker for my solo performances using the DI out. Are there alternative options for keeping up with my friends' rigs? I've considered FRFR speakers and powered bass cabs with XLR inputs. Before I pull the trigger and buy something I might regret, I'd like to see if any of you have any ideas!
Old 01-02-2021, 05:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by escampbell026 View Post
Hey y'all! I am currently a solo performer! Prior to all this Covid19 junk I used my beloved Fishman Loudbox Artist (FLA) every weekend. I love it. I've also used it when standing in for a popular cover band in the area and was recently asked to be a more permanent member. For this band I will be playing acoustic guitar and my sax. I'd like to continue using my FLA for both but it isn't loud enough to keep up with the Marshall stack, Ampeg stack, and drums! I generally run my FLA into a powered speaker for my solo performances using the DI out. Are there alternative options for keeping up with my friends' rigs? I've considered FRFR speakers and powered bass cabs with XLR inputs. Before I pull the trigger and buy something I might regret, I'd like to see if any of you have any ideas!
If the band has a PA system that is up to the sound levels they're already creating, the vocals are then adequately heard, right?

So you could also plug your Mix DI output into the PA system and have it through the front and monitor mix as well. If you really need to buy something else simply buy another acoustic amp of your choice instead of something that will only have one purpose, ie a powered speaker.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 01-02-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:16 AM

I've found that it's almost impossible to fit in mix wise with an acoustic guitar if the other guys are wailing away like there's no tomorrow.

You may first need to have a discussion about volume control. The drummers almost always set the bar here. If he's a heavy hitter, you're going to have to figure out how to get there.

A powered speaker on a pole, driven off the LBA DI Out would work, you'd want something with some serious beans tho..
Old 01-02-2021, 08:13 AM

I agree with rmp. Somehow try to convince the band to turn down during your acoustic stuff. The band might even find that a lower volume acoustic song here and there might be a nice change of pace. The FLA sounds soooo good. That's probably one reason why the band asked you to join. I can't imagine an acoustic guitar ever being able to go up against a Marshall stack. And I would think that a mic'd sax through the PA would suffice. Just my opinion, though.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:36 AM

I was having similar thoughts to those mentioned above-- using the outs on the FLA to go right to the PA AND lowering the stage volume.

BTW, as a lifelong drummer with thousands of gigs under his belt, I can say with certainty that the volume problems are inevitably the electric guitar player's fault. ESPECIALLY if he plays a Les Paul.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 01-02-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Pert View Post

BTW, as a lifelong drummer with thousands of gigs under his belt, I can say with certainty that the volume problems are inevitably the electric guitar player's fault. ESPECIALLY if he plays a Les Paul.
...now hang on there a second bubba lou... (!LOL!)
Old 01-04-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Pert View Post
or the vocalist and lead guitar player fighting it out over who needs more of themselves in the monitor mix. Just sayin'....
Old 01-04-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escampbell026 View Post
I use a QSC K10 when the room is too big for my Loudbox alone and I don't want to haul the entire PA along. Works great.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
or the vocalist and lead guitar player fighting it out over who needs more of themselves in the monitor mix. Just sayin'....
I know right..
words,, who needs em anyway!?!?! Pffft...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
alto sax, alto trouper, fishman loudbox artist, taylor 210ce