The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-14-2022, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Tell me again about the virtues of cryptocurrency...

https://www.aol.com/finance/explaine...200035968.html
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-14-2022, 03:57 PM

That seems maybe a misunderstanding or troll post. The virtues or values of the underlying technologies in cryptocurrency are very different than highly speculative and unregulated business.

If you just mean the highly speculative and unregulated business, there virtues are usually getting in early and a well timed fast exit. That doesn't generally benefit a lot of people like a retirement fund buying shares of a conventional, regulated and profitable business can.

Edit: It might also be good to know the news of unauthorized access to the exchange customer accounts isn't same as breaking cryptography in general.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That seems maybe a misunderstanding or troll post. The virtues or values of the underlying technologies in cryptocurrency are very different than highly speculative and unregulated business.

If you just mean the highly speculative and unregulated business, there virtues are usually getting in early and a well timed fast exit. That doesn't generally benefit a lot of people like a retirement fund buying shares of a conventional, regulated and profitable business can.

Edit: It might also be good to know the news of unauthorized access to the exchange customer accounts isn't same as breaking cryptography in general.
Im guessing OP’s post is a follow up to several threads that have appeared in the Open Mic sub-forum over the years, where some individuals have touted the virtues of investing in cryptocurrency.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:19 PM

The virtue of crypto currency is that had the FTX account owners chosen to hold the coins in a personal wallet instead of letting FTX have custody, they would have not lost any money due to mishandling.

A personal wallet removes any risk of insolvency of a custodial broker/company/bank.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

It would be fun if the $200 I invested in Shiba last year (with free money I recovered from Bitcoin when I cashed that out) magically goes up to $1 per share. That would make me a tidy $7.3 Million. Even 10 cents/share would be fine, lol.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:37 AM

Hang on, how does crypto work, again?

Don't answer that ... please!
Old 11-17-2022, 06:58 AM

This house of cards has just begun to crumble.

They were literally printing money out of thin air.

And then, spreading it around. Kinda brilliant, actually.

It is fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-17-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

It is fun to watch.
The conventional banking system creates money out of thin air too so it is possible I don't understand what you mean here. That difference I pointed out where the FTX exchange's issues and cryptocurrency are very different?

Well before we had an Internet age, a lot of policies of past decades or cryptocurrency, there were those formulas on money that still apply showing how lending creates money. Lending and speculation go back before any current central banks or currencies, the lending process still had the same net effect.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:02 PM

Another virtue of crypto is for international monetary transfers. It reduces the transfer time from 2 days to 10 seconds.

"The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury said that banks and federal savings associations can use stable-coins and independent node verification networks (INVNs), otherwise known as blockchain networks, to perform payment activities and perform permissible bank functions."
Old 11-17-2022, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

It is fun to watch.
to be clear, they were figuratively printing money out of thin air, yet your point is valid!
Old 11-17-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
to be clear, they were figuratively printing money out of thin air, yet your point is valid!
I'm not understanding that any more than the post you quoted. The exchange that is in trouble is not cryptocurrency. Some time might show it to have more in common with a mess like Enron. Another case of people at once hating and wanting regulation.

Making money out of thin air would go back many thousands of years. Something like when Homo sapiens figured out symbols, imagination formalizing trust or agreements and the phenomenon of what lending does.

@JonWint pointed out a tremendous virtue. If not, a whole lot of reason to aim criticism at conventional banking and seek improvements.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Another virtue of crypto is for international monetary transfers. It reduces the transfer time from 2 days to 10 seconds.

"The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury said that banks and federal savings associations can use stable-coins and independent node verification networks (INVNs), otherwise known as blockchain networks, to perform payment activities and perform permissible bank functions."
But with the value of crypto being so unstable, it’s uses for international transfers and for commerce is quite limited.

And while banks have their drawbacks, because they are regulated and thier activities make use of currencies backed by governments (some of which are very stable), they would appear to be much more trustworthy.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
But with the value of crypto being so unstable, it’s uses for international transfers and for commerce is quite limited.
That's why only stablecoins are authorized by the Feds. They are as stable as the currency to which they are linked.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:

That's why only stablecoins are authorized by the Feds. They are as stable as the currency to which they are linked.
Not necessarily. Only if they are fully transparent about exactly how much they hold in reserves of the currency or commodity that they are pegged to, and those reserves are sufficient. And there have been some problems with some stablecoins in this regard.

And, “Unlike banks and MMFs, however, most stablecoin issuers are not subject to federal regulations and protections designed to instill faith in those liabilities, such as deposit insurance and portfolio restrictions.”

Last: I am not sure what you mean when you say they are authorized by the feds. What federal agency, and authorized for what purpose or use?

And…at some point, cryptos like stablecoins start to look like a reinvention of the wheel: if they are regulated enough and are transparent enough to be stable and trustworthy at a level that approaches a government-backed currency that is exchanged and loaned by banks, what exactly is their benefits? I think many people are interested in crypto because they hope they can “get rich quick”, or because they are involved in activities where the use of normal banking would bring unwanted “attention”. Do stablecoins offer benefits to folks that don’t fall into such categories?

Last edited by buddyhu; 11-17-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Last: I am not sure what you mean when you say they are authorized by the feds. What federal agency, and authorized for what purpose or use?
Answer contained in Post #9

Quote:
"The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury said that banks and federal savings associations can use stablecoins and independent node verification networks (INVNs), otherwise known as blockchain networks, to perform payment activities and perform permissible bank functions."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic