The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-10-2022, 02:32 PM

Default Cordoba GK Crossover

Hi I have been seeing this guitar advertised like crazy .thinking of sending for it. Any thoughts ,especially on sending away for it. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:47 PM

If there's a Guitar Center near you, then the returns are easy if you're not happy with it.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:39 PM

Agree, best to play a few for the one that is right for you. Many b/s options including cypress, maple, etc. Have fun….
Old 11-10-2022, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I had the cypress GK Studio for a couple years and it probably got more play time than my high $$$ guitars. I didn't plug it in but the tuner seemed to work OK. One of those I wish I hadn't sold. Local GC has a 'negra' version that I need to check out again. Pretty good guitars IMHO.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:29 AM

I have a GK Studio Negra that I got as a “blemished” guitar. I’ve looked the thing over with a fine tooth comb and can’t find a single thing wrong with it.

It has great action and great tone.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

The GK stands for “Gipsy Kings”. I believe that The Gipsy Kings guitarists influenced the design of the Cordoba GK pro and GK studio. So the GK guitars are meant to be flamenco style guitars, low action with flamenco growl. The GK guitars have a 50 mm nut width and a flat fretboard. Most flamenco guitars, like classical guitars, have a 52 mm nut width. The GK has a 59 mm string spacing at the bridge, and the most common string spacing at the bridge on classical guitars is also 57 mm.

‘Crossover’ is a term that has no specific definition. Most guitars marketed as crossover guitars have a 48 mm nut width and a fretboard with a radius, so as to be more familiar to steel string guitar players. Many “crossover” guitars also have closer string spacing at the bridge than classical guitars.

I hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Cordoba does have a few models that they designate as being crossover guitars:

C9 crossover
C10 crossover
Fusion crossover
Fusion Orchestra CE
Old 11-12-2022, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I agree with CecilG, the word "Crossover" is used loosely with guitars. The intention, IMO, is a 48mm nut width and a slightly radiused fretboard.

I also had a GK Studio and like Skip says, it's a decent enough instrument and I played it a lot. I had the cypress version. And CecilG makes some excellent points about features of this model. I knew this when I made my purchase (here on AGF) - I just needed an inexpensive nylon-stringed guitar, after some major chemo/radiation.

The GK Studio body is also quite thin. All of its features helped me get back to playing with some dexterity, without getting tired or feeling discomfort (which was happening with my larger guitars). It was also a great into nylon strings. So I did what many do here - sold it and moved up the food chain.

I currently have a Cervantes I that I consider a true crossover: 48mm nut, slight radius to the fretboard. You can find them used for <$2000.

I couldn't resist trying the Kenny Hill New World Player. I figured I'd try it a bit and move it on but I've now had it a few years and still enjoy it. It's a 50mm nut (which many advertise as "crossover" but again I don't agree). It's also a 628mm scale on a small (nearly Parlor) body. A sporting little thing.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical