The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-09-2022, 03:49 PM

3 of my 4 guitars are 50's Archtops, and the one non-archtop is 90 miles away at my soon to be ex-wife's and I do not miss it...

Do I fingerpick tasteful new age instrumentals ? No I do not

Do I try to play so beautifully you weep with sentiment ? No

Classic jazz ? No

Somewhat assaultive and percussive, palm muting, slide or no slide, standard and open tunings, use thick heavy pick and dig in pretty good at times, other times lightly, like to use full range of dynamics

Great for swampy bluesy or vamping, palm muting and throwing in lead accents when not singing

Think it was Mississippi Fred McDowell that turned me onto archtops for what I do, they have a great vibe and "get my mind right" Boss

Have has countless dreads, many Martins, Braz Adi Bourgeois, Gallagher - but it's these nuthin fancy 50's Archtops that I play now

So I vote YES
Guild Acoustic Fretless Bass
Old 11-16-2022, 09:59 PM

Hey Pine Martin. Totally concur. I have primarily been playing my small 14 1/2 inch 1941 Epiphone Ritz for quite a spell. Love playing it. Play everything on it. It is a little thin on the Bass side of things, but I really like the note distinction. It takes time to learn to coax the magic out of a smaller arch-top, When I am just kicking around playing solo, but I have kept at it and enjoy the nice quick action the fingerboard has. I do tend to play little more Jazzy blues stuff with it, but started singing and playing songs I have written and the little Jazz box does fine. But honestly if I tried playing in a small group singing my songs it probably would be a struggle. But if I was just playing lead instrumental to what others were playing the Ritz would shine pretty good. I have toyed with slapping a floating D Armond pick up on the Ritz and try solo performance with it. Maybe you might consider another larger Jazz Box. A 17 inch Box would kick up the Mid Bass a bit, but then the little Jazz box guitars are such a joy to play. Hang onto that little Kalamazoo!!! I had one of those 30 years ago, along with a half dozen Kalamazoo Flat tops. Those old 30s Kalamazoos are feather light and awesome unique guitars. I Will probably always play one of my arch tops about 50% of the time now as I primarily am a instrumental player and have grown to love arch tops more these days. Like you I play several different instruments. The last few years, I have grown to really dig the percussive tight response and clarity they produce. Best! Sage

Last edited by Sage Runner; 11-16-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Runner View Post
Hey Pine Martin. Totally concur. I have primarily been playing my small 14 1/2 inch 1941 Epiphone Ritz for quite a spell. Love playing it. Play everything on it. It is a little thin on the Bass side of things, but I really like the note distinction. It takes time to learn to coax the magic out of a smaller arch-top, When I am just kicking around playing solo, but I have kept at it and enjoy the nice quick action the fingerboard has. I do tend to play little more Jazzy blues stuff with it, but started singing and playing songs I have written and the little Jazz box does fine. But honestly if I tried playing in a small group singing my songs it probably would be a struggle. But if I was just playing lead instrumental to what others were playing the Ritz would shine pretty good. I have toyed with slapping a floating D Armond pick up on the Ritz and try solo performance with it. Maybe you might consider another larger Jazz Box. A 17 inch Box would kick up the Mid Bass a bit, but then the little Jazz box guitars are such a joy to play. Hang onto that little Kalamazoo!!! I had one of those 30 years ago, along with a half dozen Kalamazoo Flat tops. Those old 30s Kalamazoos are feather light and awesome unique guitars. I Will probably always play one of my arch tops about 50% of the time now as I primarily am a instrumental player and have grown to love arch tops more these days. Like you I play several different instruments. The last few years, I have grown to really dig the percussive tight response and clarity they produce. Best! Sage
All very well put! I could not have said it better.

My small archtop is a ‘35 Epi Zenith(14-1/2”). Then, for a change, I play my 17” Gibson-made National 1135.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:32 PM

I've played dreadnought for maybe 20 years. Just got a OM. I only played a few cheap, plywood archtops and they sounded dead and unimpressive. I just always assumed that archtops just don't sound as "good" as open soundhole guitars.

That is until I played a solid, carved top archtop (entry level vintage). Wow I couldn't believe the resonance I heard. It wasn't as loud as dread but there was something I could not pinpoint that I loved about it. I could not put it down. Also the look of some of the ones of yesteryear are gorgeous. Maybe I prefer that look too.

So here I am selling a few guitars and on the search for that accessibly prived, solid top, mahogany, walnut or rosewood (preferably x braced) B/S 30s 0r 40s archie. I'd prefer a Regal or Harmony made and not the Kalamazoo or the like (to basic looking) Message me if you have one for sale!
Old 12-15-2022, 07:20 PM

I have a fair number of guitars (see my signature) of many types: acoustic, acoustic-electric, 12-string, solid-body, carbon fiber, and one even with an aluminum body! So, when it came to getting a custom-made guitar, what did I decide on? An archtop.

I have a 1957 Gibson ES-225, an Ibanez AG95QA, a Gibson ES-335 (which isn't really an archtop, but I lump it in with them). So why did I choose that form factor to be my "dream" guitar? For the reasons already given: I can play any style of music on it, from bone-crunching rock-n-roll, dripping wet blues, dreamy pop and everything in between.

It took eighteen months from first contact to the day it arrived at my door. I was worried it might not live up to my expectations, but those fears were dispelled the moment I picked it up and started to play. If I had to get rid of all my guitars except one, this would be it.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

One thing I have done is to put 80/20 strings back on the Kalamazoo. I had Martin Retro Monels for a while, and on this guitar they really bring out the midrange punch and quick decay. That's great if you're specifically flatpicking jazzy melodic lines or comping chords, but it feels like more of an all-round balanced sounding instrument with the 80/20 set.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 12-16-2022, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I have a Kalamazoo KG-21 that I've had for about 12 years. I play a mix of styles, a little jazzy and bluesy, a lot of influence from folk music of the British Isles too, but what I don't really do is to focus on the older styles associated with acoustic archtops in any sort of "authentic" way. At the time it was a fairly impulsive purchase, I just saw it in a shop, found the sound compelling and went for it.
As I've settled down with it over the years, I go through spells of getting really into what it can do, and spells of finding the dry, uncompromising sound frustrating. It sounds good with a firm touch - bare fingers and thumbpick, or a fairly heavy pick with a similar feel to how I'd play mandolin. I enjoy how the notes on the upper strings have mandolin-like punch too, and how distinct the notes within a chord sound. But for some styles it's a little strident, tight in the bass and lacking in lushness. Sometimes I toy with the idea of trading it in for a good dreadnought or OM, but I have got quite attached to it. I like that it's a little different too - people will see and hear it and be curious about it, which is quite fun.
So I guess I'm looking for thoughts on letting yourself get wedded to a quirky and less obvious instrument like this. My finances are such that if I ever wanted a better flat-top, the Kalamazoo would have to go, and while that would probably be the "sensible" route I just can't quite bring myself to do it!
"I just can't quite bring myself to do it!" and why on earth should you?

we of the acoustic guitar fancy buy/sell, trade, collect, all looking for the "ideal" or "ultimate" instrument (or instruments).

Seems to me there is no "ultimate" guitar for all, but it seems that you might have found the ultimate one for you, and that's great!

It didn't do a certain David Rawlings any harm!!

The thing about dreads and jumbos is this longing for "bass". That's the fashion for Martin dreads.
Archtops are about a condensed sound with projection, but not short on tonality ... or anything really.

I am a jazz/comping failure with three archtops, driven, initially by the sounds that Mr Rawlings presented, I even have a 1934 Gibson L-4 (f-holes) that cost a silly amount, and hangs on my office wall laughing at me.

In the words of Jackson Browne "don't confront me with my failures - I have not forgotten them"

I'd heartily recommend that you hang on to your Kalamazoo, and retain your original sound (which of course, we'd all love to hear!

Best, ol'Andy
Old 12-16-2022, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
One thing I have done is to put 80/20 strings back on the Kalamazoo. I had Martin Retro Monels for a while, and on this guitar they really bring out the midrange punch and quick decay. That's great if you're specifically flatpicking jazzy melodic lines or comping chords, but it feels like more of an all-round balanced sounding instrument with the 80/20 set.
Nothing wrong with 80/20s. I now use D'addario NB on my archtops and:
a) thy sound like ... they should, and
b) they seem to last for ages.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
"I

I'd heartily recommend that you hang on to your Kalamazoo, and retain your original sound (which of course, we'd all love to hear!

Best, ol'Andy
It's not exactly a performance, but here's about a minute of me noodling around just to say "Sounds like this"

https://youtu.be/kSuP1rCabaw
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...

Last edited by PineMarten; 12-18-2022 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Edited link
Old 12-18-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

As my “primary” acoustic instrument? Well no. But as one type among a number? Most definitely. Acoustic archtops are designed to do certain things well. Namely, have fast attack, string-to-string clarity, balance in volume across the strings/up and down the neck and projection. They can be manipulated to create more acoustic overtones, bass response and sustain, but this is not typical in my experience.

I will share three of mine:

16” Buscarino Monarch: This is a straight ahead 16” acoustic archtop with a Kent Armstrong low output floating pickup for electric play.

16” Comins Zelig: This is a “hybrid” acoustic oval hole guitar with a carved top, tapered rims and ladder braced flat back for enhanced bass response.

17” Trenier Artifex: This is a straight ahead 17” archtop in the tradition of Jimmy D’Aquisto. It has a floating Kent Armstrong single coil pickup for electric play.

When not using nickel strings for electric play (Thomastik BeBops), I like both 80/20s or D’Addario NB strings as well.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:27 AM

Each of those guitars is beautiful! What a lovely trio.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:52 PM

45+ years ago I taught myself to play on my dad’s old 1948 L48. I’ve had that guitar and his others in my collection for several years now. Upon his passing last month I inherited his last guitar: his prized 1969 L7C he custom ordered from Gibson with an extra narrow neck (so he could switch easier between tenor banjo and guitar while performing NO/Dixieland). It’s kind of strange because that was the one guitar no one could touch when I was a kid. The clarity, punch, and accuracy on this 17” carved top/back are better than any guitar I have including my 3 16” Gibson archtops. This is definitely the guitar I would keep if I ever had to pare down to one. I can’t put it down. I’m blown away by the difference between a 16” prewar L50 or post war L48 and a 17” L7C. I can’t put it down. 😋
Old 12-19-2022, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Archtops, real, traditional acoustic archtops, are beautiful creations.

I am a failed jazz/swing player, but I have three of the things. here's a couple of videos if interested :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops