The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-05-2022, 12:13 PM

Default classical guitar tabs

Hi any websites that give classical TABS not Standard notation. I just don't have the time or patience to read music .Thanks.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi any websites that give classical TABS not Standard notation. I just don't have the time or patience to read music .Thanks.
Many tabs available on this site have tab and notation:

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:42 PM

Classclef is the mother lode and it has more than just classical.

Use the search function on the right sidebar.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:56 PM

If you're willing to make purchases, there's a handful of books (both digital and print) that you can purchase from websites that have both standard notation and tabs.

I've purchased many PDFs from www.melbay.com, several of which has both standard notation and tabs. You'll need to look for them though. Unless I'm mistaken, most classical repertoire is published in standard notation.

If you go back a bit further and go to lute music, that was originally written in a form of tablature, which might be of interest to you. By tuning String 3 down to F# (instead of G), the guitar matches the relative tuning of a 6-course lute, and you may find it enjoyable to play lute tabs with that tuning.

Best of luck!
Old 10-05-2022, 07:25 PM

WOW ! too many to chose from !Can anyone recommend a nice familiar piece that isn't too long or difficult? Thanks !!
Old 10-05-2022, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
WOW ! too many to chose from !Can anyone recommend a nice familiar piece that isn't too long or difficult? Thanks !!
On this page is Pachelbel's Canon in D. There's the demo video and below it the free pdf which first has the notation only pages and then tab with notation. I'd say it's a good intermediate level tune.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-06-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
On this page is Pachelbel's Canon in D. There's the demo video and below it the free pdf which first has the notation only pages and then tab with notation. I'd say it's a good intermediate level tune.
Just what I'm looking for ! Thanks .
Old 10-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

You'll never have any success as a classical guitarist without being able to read music. It's no harder to learn to read notation than it is to learn TAB. Don't want to put in the time or effort? They go hand in hand with playing guitar well. Besides, probably 99.9% of classical repertoire is only available in notation.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
You'll never have any success as a classical guitarist without being able to read music. It's no harder to learn to read notation than it is to learn TAB. Don't want to put in the time or effort? They go hand in hand with playing guitar well. Besides, probably 99.9% of classical repertoire is only available in notation.
^^^^^ What he said x 1000 ^^^^^
Old 10-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
A lot of people (like myself) just like to enjoy the sound of a nylon string guitar and play a few "classical" pieces. I'm not worried about being a success in the classical guitar world at the age of 67.

Many of the popular pieces are available in notation with tab.

Guitar common sense can tell you where to play on the fret board from just notation, but having the tab below does save a bit of time for those, like myself, who aren't fluent in reading notation.

Great discussion for another thread.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-06-2022, 07:45 PM

Sorry didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers here but I’ll start with Canon in D.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi eyesore, I don’t think you ruffled any feathers, at least I hope not.

I think that the responses from Barry, Steve, and Skip are all good advice from different perspectives, to give you a good broad perspective on the advantages and disadvantages of tab and standard notation. And I think it’s great for you to use whatever resources are available to you to meet your goals in a way that works best for you.

Best wishes!
Old 10-07-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
Classclef is the mother lode and it has more than just classical.

Use the search function on the right sidebar.
man! you aint kidding

WOW...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Hi eyesore, I don’t think you ruffled any feathers, at least I hope not.

I think that the responses from Barry, Steve, and Skip are all good advice from different perspectives, to give you a good broad perspective on the advantages and disadvantages of tab and standard notation. And I think it’s great for you to use whatever resources are available to you to meet your goals in a way that works best for you.

Best wishes!
Pretty much true. From my point of view, I don't understand the hobbyist/amateur guitarist world. I started playing in 1960 and all I ever wanted to do was play in bands and make $$$. I just never thought of it as a hobby and learning was very easy and quick for me, I guess, because I had 9 yrs of violin/school orchestra behind me so I could read and understand notation and theory. It's hard for me to understand those who decide to struggle with learning to play just for fun - it can be really hard work and time consuming and, to me, there's no point in playing if you can't do it on a professional level. Some folks seem happy to learn a few chords and play around the campfire and that's perfectly fine if that makes you happy.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:19 PM

Love your follow up Skip.

When friends/family/acquaintances of mine talk about wanting to learn guitar, I tell them about two general paths.
  1. If you're looking to just be able to get through a few of your favorite songs and mess around, go buy some tabs of your favorite bands and watch some YouTube videos, and you'll be rocking it in no time.
  2. If you're an OCD masochist who strives for perfection, wants to thoughtfully compose and thoughtfully improvise, and is ok with dying way before you get even halfway through what you want to do, then consider studying classical guitar and western music theory. Even if classical isn't your thing, you'll need it to get where you want to go.

*sigh*...I unfortunately fall under Path 2.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical