The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-03-2021, 03:04 PM

Default Alvarez Yairi

The owner of a 1990 Yairi CY135 loaned it to try out and potentially purchase. Neither of us is sure what value to ascribe to it.

It’s in very good condition and has a wonderful sound.

I’ve searched but found no comparables on the internet. I am interested in buying it and want to make sure the pricing is fair for both of us.

Appreciate any insights or information you may have to share on how to determine value for it.

Last edited by JonWer; 12-03-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:40 PM

"The owner of a 1990 Yairi CY135 loaned it to try out and potentially purchase. Neither of us is sure what value to ascribe to it"

I did a quick google search on this particular model and yeilded two listing...

one was at Guitar Center in Gorgia.... Price = $899 and change for a "good shape"

Then there is a 1975 CY135 model on sale at Reverb for $825.00

note: not sure if it matters to you or not but the sides and backs on these are laminated.

If you like the guitar and it has no construction issues (neck, frets and fretboard, no signs of cracks or excessive checking in the finish) make them an offer you think you can live with. And while I am at it, contact you ISP and ask them why your internet searches came up with no results. You might want to also consider using a more robust search engine.

Best of Luck
Old 12-03-2021, 08:17 PM

Thank you very much for this information
Old 12-03-2021, 09:56 PM

$800 - $900 is what I would have said.
I have a CY-120 and I love it. I have played classical guitars that cost far more than it, and the tone was not as good.
Steve Hackett, Genesis ex lead guitarist, plays a CY-118.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 12-04-2021, 06:10 AM

Thanks Warren,

This one has a pickup as well, would that be standard or something to factor in cost? Thanks
Old 12-04-2021, 07:28 AM

Since Guitar Center is selling a CY-135 at $899, a private sell is something like $600 to $700, depending on the condition. Most buyers would prefer to install their own favorite brand of pickup and so the installed pickup in your Cy-135 is not a factor in the pricing in my opinion.
The CY-135 MSRP in 1981 was $800 ( in 2021 is about $2,500) and it was the second most expensive Alvarez Yairi classical guitar in their lineup.
If you like the tone and the neck feel, go for it.
Ron, let us know how everything turns out for you.
Robert A.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:13 PM

I have a CY117,CY118,CY132 and a CY140. Around 650$ for the CY117 & CY 118, 750$ for the CY132 and 950$ for the CY140.
All craigslist buys in the San Francisco Bay area in the last 5 years. I thought all were a bargain.
My favorites are the CY117 & the CY140. The CY118 & CY132 are equally good but the CY140 is clearly the best.
The CY117 is called the "Commemorative" I think to honor Torres, very light weight with an ebony nut - a very Spanish sound I think & just very special.
The CY132 is a cutaway & that annoys me (just because...) so I'm selling it soon for maybe 800$. Love me some Yairi... Moe
Old 10-25-2022, 10:10 AM

Default Question on the Yairi CY117 1990

Hi, Moe. Is this guitar laminated or solid wood?

Thanks!

john
Old 11-08-2022, 08:42 PM

All Yairi guitars are solid wood top and laminated back and sides.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-09-2022, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroddy View Post
Hi, Moe. Is this guitar laminated or solid wood?
Thanks!
john
John: Welcome to AGF! As a newcomer you may not have noticed that Moe's post is 11 months old. He may not be reading this thread anymore. Anyway...again welcome.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
All Yairi guitars are solid wood top and laminated back and sides.
Well, not all Yairi's....mine is solid back/sides/top..but it's a K Yairi custom.
Don't know about Alvarez Yairi's or S Yairi's, although my sister has a S Yairi that has solid back/sides/top as well.

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 11-12-2022, 10:52 AM

Well, not all Yairi's....mine is solid back/sides/top..but it's a K Yairi custom.
Don't know about Alvarez Yairi's or S Yairi's, although my sister has a S Yairi that has solid back/sides/top as well.

How do you know is not laminated? The Japanese are experts at matching grain on their veneers.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsWeB View Post

How do you know is not laminated? The Japanese are experts at matching grain on their veneers.

Well, it's a Masterworks Guitar. When I custom ordered it they said solid one piece back and sides…and the specifications on the Lacey Act Form specifically state the wood used for each part of the guitar and the weight of each piece of wood used. It also has a subtle grain pattern with grain blemishes that is identical inside and out, and its very lightweight (which corresponds to the Lacey Act Form). But it’s a K Yairi, not and Alvarez Yairi….same makers but different shops. My Japanese friends have visited the shop as well in Kani, Gifu and the factory tour includes an explanation on the construction of their custom shop guitars. http://yairi-france.com/shop/cyt/
As far as the S Yairi, it’s from the 70’s, and the grain matches as well, as I remember, enough so that you can see minor blemishes in the grain both inside and out. But, you're right, it could be laminated as it's a steel string acoustic, but they would have had to match it superbly down to the blemish!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar

Last edited by canuck7; 11-12-2022 at 01:27 PM. Reason: additional
Old 11-13-2022, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePorter View Post
I have a CY117,CY118,CY132 and a CY140. Around 650$ for the CY117 & CY 118, 750$ for the CY132 and 950$ for the CY140.
All craigslist buys in the San Francisco Bay area in the last 5 years. I thought all were a bargain.
My favorites are the CY117 & the CY140. The CY118 & CY132 are equally good but the CY140 is clearly the best.
The CY117 is called the "Commemorative" I think to honor Torres, very light weight with an ebony nut - a very Spanish sound I think & just very special.
The CY132 is a cutaway & that annoys me (just because...) so I'm selling it soon for maybe 800$. Love me some Yairi... Moe
You need to find a CY127 and complete the set!

A CY140 was my first truly quality classical guitar. Was a wonderful instrument and I only sold because I was having serious issues with my right arm going numb, due to what I [many years later] discovered was being caused by a crushed neck disc (I detailed my little story in a print issue of Classical Guitar Magazine a few years ago). Though I've owned a few nylons that were all-solid and higher-end since I sold my CY140, I do find myself missing it from time to time. That beautiful rosette and dark, figured jacaranda back and sides were very nice. And I liked the Ramirez headstock, because I wanted a 1A so bad at the time and they were well beyond my reach.
Old 11-13-2022, 05:56 PM

rather than refer to the Alvarez Yairi guitars as 'laminated', I say they are 'layered'. Typical laminated construction is with two outer plies and a center cross ply of cheaper wood, like poplar. Think of the plywood at the local lumber store. Yairi used just two layers, both running the same direction, with no center cross ply ( this is my understanding anyway). So to say they are laminated is something of a misnomer. They did this supposedly to prevent cracks and other issues during shipping from Japan to the US.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical