The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-01-2022, 06:02 PM

Wow Glen. What a Awesome produced video. I think your best! Stellar instruments and Vocal. Someday I just might have to spend some dough for a decent recording set-up. Or just learn to tackle Garage band or one those Computer studio programs. Thanks for sharing! Sage
Old 12-01-2022, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Wow, very well done, love it!

and like they say in Goodwill on senior day....

55 or BETTER for 25% off ..... you're just a little bit better than most
Old 12-02-2022, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Runner View Post
Wow Glen. What a Awesome produced video. I think your best! Stellar instruments and Vocal. Someday I just might have to spend some dough for a decent recording set-up. Or just learn to tackle Garage band or one those Computer studio programs. Thanks for sharing! Sage
Hi Sage!

Thank you for taking time to watch! I appreciate your comments here very much! I'm glad you feel this comes across well! This was a rewarding project for me, so I'm very pleased that you like how it came out.

This whole thing about video and recording and how to do it well is a constant learning process. I spent some money about three years ago on improved mics and mic preamps and upgraded DAW software, and I think it has helped my videos to sound just a little bit better. But, I'm sure you realize, there is no end to the money you can spend on this stuff between instruments and various kinds of cameras and recording gear.

Thank you again for your kind comments, Sage! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 12-02-2022, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
Wow, very well done, love it!

and like they say in Goodwill on senior day....

55 or BETTER for 25% off ..... you're just a little bit better than most
Thank you Docwatsonfan!

Much appreciated! Thank you for your kind comments and for taking time to listen! I'm so very pleased that you feel this came out well!

Wicked Game is a very cool song. What I particularly appreciate about Chris Isaak's music is not only his singing voice, but how good his backing band, The Silvertones, are. I particular appreciate the lead guitar player. He knows how to play a Strat through a clean amp and make it sound really, really good. It's a skill few electric players have today, something that players knew how to do 50-60 years ago. I really appreciate their music and I love the lead player's guitar work.

I hope all is well for you! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 12-02-2022, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Sage!

Thank you for taking time to watch! I appreciate your comments here very much! I'm glad you feel this comes across well! This was a rewarding project for me, so I'm very pleased that you like how it came out.

This whole thing about video and recording and how to do it well is a constant learning process. I spent some money about three years ago on improved mics and mic preamps and upgraded DAW software, and I think it has helped my videos to sound just a little bit better. But, I'm sure you realize, there is no end to the money you can spend on this stuff between instruments and various kinds of cameras and recording gear.

Thank you again for your kind comments, Sage! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Glenn I think there are two things that really stand out for me, in this production ( beside your typical excellent rendition of the original )
#1 how well suited your voice is for this song
#2 how clean the audio is, especially the vocal,, very very pro sounding

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Glenn I think there are two things that really stand out for me, in this production ( beside your typical excellent rendition of the original )
#1 how well suited your voice is for this song
#2 how clean the audio is, especially the vocal,, very very pro sounding
Thank you Kevin!

I really appreciate this, your taking time to give such quality feedback!

It is true that this song fits my voice. It's a reminder that a person doesn't have to sing everything in the stratosphere to sound good. We don't all have to be high tenors. Chris Isaak is clearly a baritone and he uses his particular vocal range in his songs extremely well. My vocal range just happens to fall in the same place, so this is simply a stroke of good luck, and it's certainly a good lesson to me.

Regarding the audio mix and production, thank you for your comments on that as well. I had Chris Isaak's song as sort of a model on how to mix this, and his voice is way out front. So I followed his lead on that. Also, I have been tending recently to mix my videos so that my voice is more up-front, less buried in instrumentation, and so that probably prepared me for doing a decent job on this particular mix.

Thank you Kevin! Your comments are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated!

Be well out there!

- Glenn
Old 12-02-2022, 03:24 PM

Dont mind me asking but what is your setup??..Including mic used??
Old 12-02-2022, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Dont mind me asking but what is your setup??..Including mic used??
Hi CASD57,

I use a Warm Audio WA-47 mostly in cardioid mode for my voice, I use two Warm Audio WA-84 SDC mics for the guitar to record in stereo, I have a couple of Warm Audio WA-273 mic preamps, I use a Steinberg UR44 interface to my Windows computer and I use Cubase 10 Pro for my DAW software.

I use Cubase because that's what my son, Ian, uses, and I figured if I got stuck, he could help me. And that has turned out to be really beneficial.

I think the WA-84 SDC mics are excellent. If I had to buy a vocal mic again, I might just buy the WA-87 R2, but right now the WA-47 is on sale at Sweetwater for $750, $200 off. I have not had any trouble with my WA-47, and I like the way it sounds, but I'm not sure the tube preamp in the mic is worth the bother. However, I have never used a WA-87, either.

I did put together a video in the past about how I make videos with good quality sound. I have upgraded mics and mic preamps since this video, however. It's shown below.

I hope this helps.

- Glenn
Old 12-02-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi CASD57,

I use a Warm Audio WA-47 mostly in cardioid mode for my voice, I use two Warm Audio WA-84 SDC mics for the guitar to record in stereo, I have a couple of Warm Audio WA-273 mic preamps, I use a Steinberg UR44 interface to my Windows computer and I use Cubase 10 Pro for my DAW software.

I use Cubase because that's what my son, Ian, uses, and I figured if I got stuck, he could help me. And that has turned out to be really beneficial.

I think the WA-84 SDC mics are excellent. If I had to buy a vocal mic again, I might just buy the WA-87 R2, but right now the WA-47 is on sale at Sweetwater for $750, $200 off. I have not had any trouble with my WA-47, and I like the way it sounds, but I'm not sure the tube preamp in the mic is worth the bother. However, I have never used a WA-87, either.

I did put together a video in the past about how I make videos with good quality sound. I have upgraded mics and mic preamps since this video, however. It's shown below.

I hope this helps.

- Glenn

I'll be to sure to watch it this weekend Thanks
Old 12-05-2022, 06:13 PM

Wow Glenn. You’ve done a lot of excellent covers but this takes the cake for me. Impressive.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Wow Glenn. You’ve done a lot of excellent covers but this takes the cake for me. Impressive.
Thank you Ernie!

How wonderful to hear from you! I'm so pleased that you felt this came out well! I always admire your recordings and your terrific singing voice, so I am really pleased that you like what I did here!

You've made my day, Ernie! Thank you!

- Glenn
Old 12-08-2022, 10:17 PM

Glenn, I don’t stop into this part of the forum very often but I’m glad I did tonight. I’ve always liked this song and agree with the other comments made.

What really grabbed me with your rendition was you captured Chris’ original feeling and sound but still added your own interpretation, building on the original version. This is not easily done, great job.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 12-09-2022, 05:57 AM

Absolutely brilliant Glenn. I love this song and it suits your voice so perfectly. It actually made the hairs stand up tingling on my arms. Superb in all respects!!

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 12-09-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Glenn, I don’t stop into this part of the forum very often but I’m glad I did tonight. I’ve always liked this song and agree with the other comments made.

What really grabbed me with your rendition was you captured Chris’ original feeling and sound but still added your own interpretation, building on the original version. This is not easily done, great job.
Thank you Ian!

I really appreciate hearing from you! I also greatly appreciate your comments and your careful listening to this cover of mine! I am so very pleased that you felt this came out well! Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment here!

I hope all is well for you. Enjoy the coming holiday season!

- Glenn
Old 12-09-2022, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
Absolutely brilliant Glenn. I love this song and it suits your voice so perfectly. It actually made the hairs stand up tingling on my arms. Superb in all respects!!
Thank you Phil!

Knowing what kind of musician you are, your comments have really made my day, Phil! Thank you so very much for your kind comments! They are greatly appreciated and mean a great deal to me.

Thank you! I hope all is well for you! Enjoy the holiday season and be well!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell