The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-17-2022, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Problem Solved

So I have this Yamaha digital piano that I play occasionally. I like to use for it transcribing and arranging. A crackiing sound began coming from the speakers a few years back that I found to be a nusance but I ignored it since I was not performing with it.

I tried to correct the problem with a line filter, switching to batteries only, and cleaning beneath the keys. None I my efforts proves successful.
Two weeks ago, I decided to buy a new piano and donate this current one, to a local thrift shop, thinking someone might know how to correct the problem. Someone with more knowledge about this equipment, might take a chance on it, if the price was reasonable.

Before I began to dismantle the unit to put it in my car, I powered up one last time. The crackling noise was gone. I put the tools away. It's been two weeks and the crackling has not returned.

While thinking about what could have caused my problem and why it "solved itself", I remembered recently purchasing a new microwave oven. I don't remember when the crackling noise began but it could have been about the time that I bought the old microwave.

So I go to the basement, and plug in the old microwave. The crackling noise returned to the piano. Unplug the microwave, the crackling goes away.

I was planning to donate both the piano and microwave. (The microwave works fine. My wife wanted a new one.) I'll keep the piano. Maybe I should add a disclaimer to the microwave.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

That's a good story. Funny. Thanks for sharing

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-17-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

If the microwave is so un-shielded that the piano is affected from the basement, you may not want it in your house! That can’t be good…
Old 11-17-2022, 10:29 AM

When things like that happen to me, my thoughts go to....I threatened to get rid of it and the fear of leaving my home was enough to fix it. Does not work with laptops unfortunately.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-17-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
If the microwave is so un-shielded that the piano is affected from the basement, you may not want it in your house! That can’t be good…

Yeah, maybe I should take it to the scrap yard.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:19 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
When things like that happen to me, my thoughts go to....I threatened to get rid of it and the fear of leaving my home was enough to fix it. Does not work with laptops unfortunately.

A few years ago I bought a new laptop and about 3-4 months later the screen started flickering - bear in mind this is a laptop that NEVER left the stand it was on...obviously I wasn't very happy.

I went out and bought a 22" TV and hooked it up as the monitor, and about three days later I had the laptop hooked up to the charger and tripped on the cord...sending the laptop spiraling to the floor.

Almost 7 years later the screen had not flickered once again (repair completed) - but last weekend it's life ended and I had to replace it.

Old 11-17-2022, 02:56 PM

In the late 1980s somtime my girlfriend asked if I could fix her microwave.Yeah right. I had no idea how one worked.so I looked at it and discovered it had fuse and it was blown. at the time I had 1971 Chevy c-10 pick up,the fuse was exactly the kind I had in that truck. the round glass ones. welp it worked,I was a hero.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

I listen to audiobooks on my iPhone every day - free from the library on the Libby app. Phone stays in my hip pocket and connects to my hearing aids via Bluetooth. They connect well most of the time, but they cut out, fade and pulsate when I use the microwave. Hmmm... Therefore, I don't hover right next to the microwave even when I'm not listening to a book. Waaay past fathering any more little ones, but still, there's something radiating there.
----------------
Had a beater '95 Dodge Dakota that was really frayed around the edges, but it had a V8 and was good for towing a ski boat. Out on a dark, curvy country road one night, the headlights quit. Didn't even flicker. Just plain quit. YIKES!!!

Didn't give it a thought, I just banged the dashboard hard with a fist and they came right back on. Problem solved. Never happened again.

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-17-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:50 AM

I had an annoying buzz coming from my amps and it was my noisy sockets. Invested in a power conditioner and it’s much more quiet now.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:44 AM

So wait...

The microwave made noise through the piano, even if it (the microwave) was not in use?

Just plugged in, not turned on?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-18-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
So wait...

The microwave made noise through the piano, even if it (the microwave) was not in use?

That was what I thought too and why I recommended getting rid of the microwave.

That can’t be safe!
Old 11-18-2022, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
So wait...

Yes, just plugged in. The digital clock on the microwave is unlike any other that I have seen. The readout is hard to describe. I wonder if that is the source. I have removed it from my house. The local waste management area has a specific disposal area and apparently a specific disposal procedure. I left the microwave with these (I hope) experts.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:45 AM

Interesting topic.

Last edited by Inyo; 12-13-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:07 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:39 PM

I recently noticed some low-level crackling noise when recording. I started turning off other electrical appliances, but still had the issue. I recently got new internet service and a new WiFi router that was in the same room I record in... sure enough, turn off the router, crackling noise went away. Apparently the new WiFi radio is powerful enough to induce some current in the mic at that distance!

Since I didn't want to regularly disrupt my internet connection, and got a 1/8" thick piece steel, about 18"x18", and propped it up in front of the router. No crackling, problem solved! It may negatively affect WiFi reception in other areas of the house, I suppose, but so far so good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic