The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-23-2022, 02:20 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I was purposely hit in the head with an ax by a neighborhood kid when I was seven. I've still got the scar from that one. The kid went on to cut off his sister's hand with a hatchet a few months later. This was fifty-eight years ago.

Crap happens. Have you noticed that we've had a turn of mass stabbings and vehicular homicides lately?

People aren't getting better. It is time to change our anthropology and teach our kids to respect other humans.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-23-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I was purposely hit in the head with an ax by a neighborhood kid when I was seven. I've still got the scar from that one. The kid went on to cut off his sister's hand with a hatchet a few months later. This was fifty-eight years ago.

Bob
Might be interesting to look him up on the Virginia Inmate Locator....https://vadoc.virginia.gov/general-p...ender-locator/
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-23-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Crap happens. Have you noticed that we've had a turn of mass stabbings and vehicular homicides lately?

People aren't getting better. It is time to change our anthropology and teach our kids to respect other humans.

Bob
There’s already a book that does that…been around for a long, long time.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-23-2022, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
What’s been happening all your life?
Mass school shootings by teenagers? Shootings in theaters? Mass shootings in bars? Shootings in retail stores? Mass shootings in churches and temples? Shootings on college campuses? Drive by shootings in urban areas? Mass shootings in the workplace?

Granted the coverage of said events is off the charts but I would challenge you to document the kinds of mass shootings in the numbers and frequency that are happening today vs when you were ten years old. There is no basis in fact.

BTW, I’m 73 as well and nothing like this was going on when I was young…anywhere.
Of course you’re right.

Overall crime is way down since we all were young, mass shootings are way up.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Bob
What is your basis for saying or thinking our species is not teaching kids to respect others? I deal with young people at scale and do not see that. My wife and her associates who teach challenged or troubled kids don't see that.

Most parents and major institutions absolutely teach that respect - explicit and implicit. Even smaller work places do that more and more. It is very much established in most programs kids are in and of course schools including most private schools.

The outliers I see in people leadership positions are usually in popular culture, pundits and leaders not really the sorts of public servants many were earlier in my boomer life.

Some insightful experience for me is only recently retired from shooting range and youth education director - 3 terms board of directors, 16 years volunteering & teaching. That is very pro gun, but a good duration of experiencing the gun culture and politics in my country that is troubling even though the core elements are important to me.

Overall, there is a lot of evidence that most all of the kids in recent times are really good, and their parents make good efforts to do the right things.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
What is your basis for saying or thinking our species is not teaching kids to respect others?
Simply my experiences as an astronaut on space ship Earth. We've gotten better and better at advocating identities, but are less and less understanding that identities are less important than the people who pin them on. People. Individuals. With whom we may often disagree. The people in the cars and grocery lines and sidewalks around us. We've also become excellent at teaching self-respect but have begun declining in teach the basics of beginning by respecting others.

As rokdog49 said it, it was discuss long ago but, sadly, has largely passed out of vogue.

Oh, and I wasn't discussing teachers as much as parents.

Bob

Old 11-25-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Simply my experiences as an astronaut on space ship Earth. We've gotten better and better at advocating identities, but are less and less understanding that identities are less important than the people who pin them on. People. Individuals. With whom we may often disagree. The people in the cars and grocery lines and sidewalks around us. We've also become excellent at teaching self-respect but have begun declining in teach the basics of beginning by respecting others.

As rokdog49 said it, it was discuss long ago but, sadly, has largely passed out of vogue.

Oh, and I wasn't discussing teachers as much as parents.

Bob
What are you doing to make sure you have good or fair data samples? I might not feel as I do if I wasn't still active in the goings on of hundreds of kids.

I'll compare your one person against a constant influx if young people that have to be showing respect at scale.

Our stores hire young people by the hundreds every year. A lot ages 16 to early 20s. They are in very different neighborhoods. Some of their training and testing hasn't changed for decades. The jobs for sure haven't changed. There are some training requirements and HR measures now with around 20 years of measuring. It's all better and wonderfully so at our store near one of the country's most challenged zip codes.

In the community volunteering I do this year has had our best turnouts and hours logged for more than a decade. Middle and high school kids logging community service seems a good measure of respect.

Something I feel is pertinent for this topic is the sports teams I help seem to be a much more respectful batch of kids. There is acceptance and love of kids with physical, emotional and gender challenges no way present in my growing up and earlier times doing the same volunteer work.

Some parents are obviously doing better because I don't think my few decades of involvement have been enough time for our species to change much.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
What are you doing to make sure you have good or fair data samples? I might not feel as I do if I wasn't still active in the goings on of hundreds of kids.
You know, I am just one little guy with one little opinion amongst a sea of experts.

Bob

Old 11-25-2022, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Bob Womack & imwjl: l've learned in 73 years that most people have and totally believe their own unique perceptions about things they observe. There is no right or wrong because everyone's unique perception is valid even if they're different from each other. You both are correct because each POV is the way that you see things. There's absolutely no point in going back forth, especially since this is supposed to be a thread about three UVa football players who were gunned down at the end of a class outing to see a play in Washington DC. Happy Black Friday...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic