The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-05-2022, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Playing above the 12th fret

I have just splashed out on what I hope is my lifetime keeper classical. I opted for a non cutaway, so I went for a Pavan TP-30-64, deciding that I may as well spend the time to learn the correct way to play classical above the 12th.
I have looked at a few YouTube videos, does anyone have any technique tips or suggestions on things to look at?
I was going to a teacher earlier in the year, but he was primarily a Jazzer and played a cutaway…
Old 11-05-2022, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar.
Gohar Vardanyan is a very talented player, and this "lessonette" video of hers offers some good info on the topic:

One thing that she doesn't mention, and that I found useful and also learned in lessons, is to dip the left arm and shoulder when accessing the frets beyond the 12th, bringing your chin closer to the upper bout. It gives you better control over your fingers. She leans forward instead, which is probably very similar.
Bottom line though is that a cutaway is not necessary. You can accomplish the same thing with technique tweaks.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 11-05-2022, 03:19 PM

Also helps to drop the thumb to the bottom part of the neck
Old 11-05-2022, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I drop my left shoulder many inches and move my LH thumb much closer to the edge of the neck on the treble side. These actions facilitate use of the LH fingers on the fretboard above the 12th fret.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the tips and advice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical