The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Default D string buzz

I’m using D’Addario EJ 45 NT strings on 3 of my guitars and there is a buzz on the D string 2nd fret (E) note. There is no fret buzz and nothing’s loose. A couple people told me the strings are bad but that doesn’t seem possible since I’ve been having the same problem with many sets of these strings.They can’t all be bad, can they? What else could cause the buzz? Thanks to all.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:18 AM

One thing comes to mind, which may not be correct. Are any of the string ends, where tied behind the bridge, resting on the top? The resonance of the played note may have an extra 'kick' that triggers a buzz.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Default D string buzz

Thanks for the idea but that’s not the problem.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Then, do you do a classic/standard tie? In front of the tie block, where the string loops beneath itself, with your fingernail press the loop back towards the tie block to firm up the contact. Other than that I've got nothing.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Use a 6" straightedge and strong light to find possible high spot on a fret. If no dice there, use ears and stethoscope to narrow down the (apparent) buzzing area. A second guitar player could help there. How do you know nothing is loose? A loose top brace is possible. I once had a buzz which turned out to be a loose spindle (string post, whatever its called) in headstock. Sympathetic vibrations are tricky.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM

One string, one fret, multiple sets of stings, probably the third fret. Take a short straight edge, such as a short ruler or edge of s credit card that straddles the second to fourth frets. If it rocks on the third fret, the third fret is high. If that proves to be the case, we can discuss remedies.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:53 PM

There is a sort of off-the-wall problem that does show up more on Classical D strings than any other, where the string buzzes on every note. It has to do with the 'zip' tone of the string being very close in pitch to an odd numbered partial; in this case, the seventh. This seems to happen fairy frequently with all brands: about one string in three. It can be remedied fairly easily most of the time.

The 'zip' tone pitch is a function of the elasticity of the core and the mass and length of the string, but is not affected by the tension (much). The pitch match with the odd partial has to be pretty exact for it to be a problem, so a small change in the string mass can suffice to fix it. Remove the string from the tuner roller, and, holding it out under a bit of tension, twist it so that you're tightening the winding. Re-install it, without allowing it to untwist. The string 'unwinds' a bit as you tighten it, which lowers the mass slightly and raises the pitch of the 'zip' tone. Winding it up should end up with a slightly lower 'zip' pitch, and may miss that seventh partial.

This is a long shot diagnosis, but it happens from time to time, and will drive you nuts if you don't know why. The couple between the 'zip' tone and the partial splits the partial into two peaks, and the buzz is the difference tone between them.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:46 PM

Default D string buzz

I tried twisting the string as you recommended. I tried it in both directions but neither had any effect at all. Thanks for trying. What should I do next?
Old 09-01-2019, 07:38 PM

Did you check the fret height as Charles suggested?

Something easy to try: tie a rag around the strings between the nut and the tuners.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Default D string buzz

I’ve been trying to ignore the buzz having tried all suggested remedies. The one thing I learned is that if I apply extremely high pressure on the string against the fret, the buzz stops. However, there’s no way I can play applying such extreme pressure on the string. Only the D string buzzes and only at the second fret. I also put a new string on and nothing changed although it’s possible that 2 strings in a row are defective. Again, there is no fret buzz and nothing on the guitar is loose.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontooth View Post
I’ve been trying to ignore the buzz having tried all suggested remedies.
Mostly likely, the third fret is high or loose. Did you take a straight edge that straddles the 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets to see if it rocks over the 3rd fret?
Old 09-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Interesting discussion on this over at Usenet/Google Groups:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ar/RS9kmNT78e0

John R.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Wish I could be of help, but I have the exact same problem on my Cordoba. Like you, I can stop the buzz if I fret extremely close to the third fret using lots of pressure. My third fret does not appear to be high, using the straight edge method.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 PM

Default D string buzz

In a way I’m glad to learn that I’m not the only one with this problem. Several sources have told me that a buzzing D string isn’t all that unusual. One dealer said that he’s seen many sets of strings with buzzing D’s and keeps changing them until he finds a good one. One guy said that EJ 45’s tend to have buzzing D strings. My Cordoba C9 Parlor is fitted with the D’Addarios and the D is fine. Does your Cordoba have the original Corums? If I find the answer I’ll be sure to post immediately. Until then, I’ll be pursuing a resolution. By the way, the problem is especially bad on my Yairi CY 118.

Last edited by Dragontooth; 09-10-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: More information
Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragontooth View Post
In a way I’m glad to learn that I’m not the only one with this problem. Several sources have told me that a buzzing D string isn’t all that unusual. One dealer said that he’s seen many sets of strings with buzzing D’s and keeps changing them until he finds a good one. One guy said that EJ 45’s tend to have buzzing D strings. My Cordoba C9 Parlor is fitted with the D’Addarios and the D is fine. Does your Cordoba have the original Corums? If I find the answer I’ll be sure to post immediately. Until then, I’ll be pursuing a resolution. By the way, the problem is especially bad on my Yairi CY 118.
Yes, mine has the original Corums.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical