The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-02-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Default NGBD.......

Those of you who guessed "New Gig Bag Day" nailed it. Recently I've picked up two amazing Fender electrics from AGF members, and I wanted a way to move and store them. I know that we're divided as to the use of gig bags, but between my ailing back and limited travel, I fall squarely in the camp of those who think that decently padded gig bags are the way to go. I'm 69 and live in the woods so I won't be strapping one of these bags to my back - is that even a thing? - and hopping on my skateboard or bike.

Perusing Craigslist as well as MF/GC, I found a Schecter Guitar Research double electric bag that lists for $229 listed for $40 - and to sweeten the pot, it was new with tags still on it. In addition, the seller had a Schecter single electric guitar for $30 (lists for $179), also new with tags. I wasn't real familiar with the brand but at these prices, it seemed worth a trip to Northern Virginia to check them out. Besides, I'd promised my lady friend a car ride yesterday and coupled that with a visit to our favorite seafood restaurant, Legal Seafood, so it would not be a wasted trip if the bags were a no-go.

Well, the bags were a definite go-go. Turns out the seller was a musician, and Schecter gave them swag for which he had no use. The bags are amazing, and I just couldn't be more pleased. They cradle my "new" Fender Telecaster and Robert Cray Strat quite nicely. The double gig bag will do a great job storing my Fenders at home or on-the-go in my Honda CRV. The single will perform equally well for my public performances (tongue in cheek) or jam sessions (more tongue in cheek). My ladyfriend who bemoans the fact that my guitar buying & selling is generally in the red was giddy with the notion that I could sell these bags for 2-3 times what I paid - or maybe it was the pinot grigio and sherry from Legal Seafood. Nevertheless a good day was had by all, and the Cream of Crab soup was to die for....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Very nice find! I always love finding good deals. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Tele as well.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Very nice find! I always love finding good deals. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Tele as well.
I am. It's found three comfortable new homes: my cabin in the woods, the single and the double gig bag...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-02-2019, 01:35 PM

That is a nice score!

I keep my Tele in a gig bag. Much more convenient to me than a hard case, though I do think the hard cases look very cool. And I figure the Tele is pretty bullet proof.

The acoustic I keep in a hard case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars