The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 PM

Default Zoom R8 help

If you are familiar with the Zoom R8 recorder, I would like any tips you may have for me. I am just now taking delivery of one of these and ready to be overwhelmed by the technical aspect of being a guitarist/vocalist. Thanks in advance for any tips or help.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:30 AM

I have the R24. I am guessing the basic recording features should be the same. I am totally challenged with most all technical stuff. I was able to record multiple tracks right away. You should have no problem. Have fun with it. Post back if you have issues.

RPK
Old 05-14-2015, 11:38 AM

One tip I have.....be sure to get the best SD card you can find. I forgot what they are called but they are more $ than the regular type card.

RPK
Old 05-14-2015, 02:42 PM

Darn, you already beat me to the post. I've been using a Z8 for 2 or 3 years, and I feel like I'm scratching the surface. In fact, I'm hunting for some good instructions, hopefully someone can point both of us in the right direction.

My only hint, is that you name each project with a real name instead of using the sequential numbering. It's really easy and fast because the letters are picked out using the spinning dial in front. Just started doing it a couple weeks ago, and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 PM

These are some great ideas. I like naming the projects as song names and I am going to do that. Today I totally edited the effects and got them where I want them, the ones that I will use. There are some great acoustic guitar eq options and got my guitars sound awesome.
This weekend I plan to record and get the vocals going through this thing.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:55 AM

You might find some useful ideas on using the R series on my "Simple Homestyle Recording" page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 AM

Doug et al.

What I'm thinking is that I would transfer individual tracks to my DAW and do the final mixing on my PC. Is that what you are doing? Or are the zoom individual tracks proprietary until you do a mix-down? Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm ready to start doing more serious recording and editing.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:53 AM

My R16 made WAV files that I could easily transfer to a computer DAW for editing. I'm confident the R8 does the same.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-15-2015, 10:56 AM

I am not wanting to use my computer for any part of this. I want to get a good recording just off the R8 to use as demos. I will use some rhythm as well off the R8 and record two or three guitar tracks with different effects, eq and one vocal with harmonizer(outboard). That will all go onto a HD card in the R8. From there it will go onto a CD using my computer but the final mix down will be done on the R8.
Yesterday I found some awesome effects on board for guitar. I am very impressed with this so far. Haven't recorded yet.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
I am not wanting to use my computer for any part of this. I want to get a good recording just off the R8 to use as demos. I will use some rhythm as well off the R8 and record two or three guitar tracks with different effects, eq and one vocal with harmonizer(outboard). That will all go onto a HD card in the R8. From there it will go onto a CD using my computer but the final mix down will be done on the R8.
Yesterday I found some awesome effects on board for guitar. I am very impressed with this so far. Haven't recorded yet.
You COULD get an acceptable "demo" mix using only the R8. It's a bit clunky to do this when it's so easy to edit on the computer, but it's your project.

The R series has the ability to select 44.1 or 48(?) khz wav files in either 16 or 24 bit. Make sure your mix is 44.1 / 16 and you can burn it directly to CD.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:04 AM

Thanks. How do I record the internal drum sounds onto a track. Cannot find this anywhere in the manual and tried everything I can think of. I can play the drum sounds but they do not record onto a track. or so it seems. Help.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM

I would look at the "Bounce" function. P. 34 of the manual.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Thanks. I will check that out tonight.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 PM

Default Moving starting time of a take

Anyone here still using Zoom R8? I just made first recording with mine, after sitting in original box for 3 years. (The recorder that is, not me . ) I have a track recorded I like (solo, one track) but it occurs between 6:50 and 9:45 of a few attempts. When I mastered that specific part, the master track maintained the same position, meaning dead air until 6:50. How do I move that portion of file to start at 0:01? (For mp3 conversion)
Is it a mistake to keep the recorder going like that for multiple takes? (I dont have DAW working yet, so hoping for unit-based solution.)
Thanks!

Last edited by FrankHS; 01-01-2020 at 02:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD