The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Zoom R16 Internal Mics and interface

I`m looking to pull the trigger on an R16 to record some songs...Would the internal mics suffice to record vocals and acoustic guitar?
Also would i be able to connect my Nord electro 3 keyboard to it and record straight on cubase in sync with the tracks I have on the R16 itself?

I would also like to purchase some sort of drums VST, so would i be able to record it in sync with the R16 tracks if i use cubase?
Thanks!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma89 View Post
I`m looking to pull the trigger on an R16 to record some songs...Would the internal mics suffice to record vocals and acoustic guitar?
Also would i be able to connect my Nord electro 3 keyboard to it and record straight on cubase in sync with the tracks I have on the R16 itself?

I would also like to purchase some sort of drums VST, so would i be able to record it in sync with the R16 tracks if i use cubase?
Thanks!
Do you know about the Zoom forum? It's a real handy place to learn about Zoom recorders. Here's the R16 forum: http://zoomforum.us/viewforum.php?f=17

I found the internal mic inadequate for acoustic guitar and vocals. I didn't try picking up the unit and holding it close to my voice or guitar, though. But my brief experience caused me to always use a mic with the R16.

You cannot use it to play back tracks while in interface mode. You can't use the interface mode while playing or recording to the R16 memory.

You can use the R16 as an interface but it is much less convenient than a conventional interface because of the lack of a software mixer.

You can connect the audio output of your keyboard to the R16, record through it to Cubase, but not while playing tracks from the R16. You can transfer tracks recorded on the R16 to the computer then overdub them there. Or you can overdub within the R16. But you can't combine the record/playback function with the audio interface function.

This is basically the same story we went through with the H4n, right?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-14-2012, 04:15 AM

If you are considering this unit, also take a look at the Zoom R24. This model has the advantage of providing phantom power to as many as 6 microphones at once (the R16 only gives phantom power to two mics). It also allows you to accumulate up to 24 tracks if you are doing overdubbing (vs 16 with the R16).

The R24 also has some built in percussion features, which I suspect I will never use, but it sounds like you might find useful.

See:

http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/produ...recorders/r24/

and

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/support/faq/r24.php#01

I have not yet decided what I think about the onboard mics on my R24. I think they are probably pretty much comparable to any of the other Zoom mics (though I have limited experience with other Zoom units). If you crank up the gain, they are quite sensitive, and I don't think they sound too bad. But mostly I have been using my Zoom R24 with external mics plugged into it.

I like the convenience of a stand alone recording device like this much better than using an interface and recording on a computer. The Zoom is much more convenient.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM

From my experience, when comparing the mics on the R16 to the mics on the H4, H4n, H2, H2n, or Q3HD, all those are cardioid (directional) and the R16 mics are omni. This results in more reflected sound at the same mic distance. And the R16 is a lot less convenient to mount close to the source.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD