The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM

Default '79 Takamine C128 vs.'87 C132. Relative $ ?

Greetings all,
Presently, I'm a bit torn between buying a '79 C128 classical or an '87 C132s. Both are Takamines, and very nice looking guitars. The C128 has fewer bruises. I live in a rather warm and dry area, where the laminated top C128 might hold up better. However, I hear that the solid top guitars sound MUCH better. I can get the C128 for what would probably be $xxx less than the C132. Being that it will be my first classical guitar ( I have played electric and steel stringed acoustic since 2004), does anyone have any suggestions that might sway me towards one or the other? The '79 has the earlier headstock. The '87 does not. Thank you for any help.

Last edited by Forensicguy; 06-07-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: price discussions not permitted per forum rules
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM

I have a c132 from the 70's.
I ain't no expert.
I know nothing about the c128.
this is just my opinion.
I would get the c132.
read some reviews.
mine plays well. and sounds ok.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM

Thanks for your input. I spoke to a couple of friends today who both said the same thing. One plays mostly steel string, acoustic and electric, the other has played classical off and on over the years. So there we have it.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Default Another try

Greetings:
Well, I received my guitar from the Ebay seller a while back but had to return it. It was a nice guitar that was fine aesthetically, but had a bad case of backbow in the neck. There was no getting rid of the buzz without a fret job and neck planing. While that would have fixed it, it would have turned a very good deal into a very bad deal. Since the seller had stated that the guitar had no buzz, he reluctantly, but reasonably, took it back and issued a refund. It cost me a bit for the shipping, but not bad.
Now its replacement, a younger guitar at '91 build, is 12 miles from me at the UPS warehouse and should be here tomorrow sometime. It looks nice. I hope it sounds as good as the '79 but has a straight neck. I'll report back on impressions. FWIW.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Default New guitar is sweet, and perfect.

Well, the replacement for the earlier C132s came today. I couldn't be more pleased. It's a '91 and looks like it has <20 hours of playing time on it. The way the case fits, I'd think that it was original. The case is marked "Made in Canada", so whatever that tells one about originality...
The guitar even has the added bonus that I was hoping for, in that it has an adjustable truss-rod. I wasn't sure if a '91 would have it. This one does. I look forward to many years of playing pleasure on this beautiful little classical guitar.
Cheers.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Default What a difference new strings make.

When I received my C132s guitar, I marveled at its condition for being 20 years old. It was/is beautiful. However, the overall sound was a bit weak compared to the other one that I sent back with the bad neck. The strings didn't look old to me, and were tied off at the bridge and tuners very cleanly. I now suspect that they were factory installed, i.e., the original strings on the guitar. The wrapped strings actually looked brass to me. When I removed the first string from the tuner roller/post, I noticed that it had once been a silver color, like my new strings.
Once I installed the new strings, I couldn't believe how the sound of the guitar came to life. It was night and day on how the guitar projects. I'm thinking now that 20 years may be the high end of how long to leave strings on a classical guitar, no? Now I've just got to wait for them to stretch and settle in a bit. It's a great little guitar.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 PM

I enjoyed reading this, thanks! I just purchased a Takamine, so I'm "reading up".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical