The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Default 12 string nylon

This topic has really grabbed my attention. Even though I have completely switched to nylon, I was debating on a 12 string for Christmas. Seems like some have had success at putting nylon strings on their standard 12 string acoustics.
So are you using ball end strings?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Ballend nylons are easier - La Bella, D'Addario and Martin do ballend sets.

I use La Bella 850 or 900 series strings (because I like them) which are loopend - I just tie one or two knots on the end of the string - works fine.

You will need to re-cut some of the nut slots to accommodate some of the wider nylon stings. Best thing is to string up first then test each string for fit - if the slot needs widening you can use a piece of folded fine grit emery paper (assuming you don't have needle files) - just lift out the string to one side, file gently, refiit the string - repeat the process until the fit is correct. Take it slow and steady.

You might also need to slacken off the truss-rod a tad but again string up first and check the neck relief.

And good luck - nylon rules.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I do not buy ball end strings mostly because I have had some failures with the plastic E,B, and G strings.
I use GHS super high tension and tie a knot. I save all the brass ends from old strings and slide one of these on. This works with a pin bridge or any other kind.
My Korean Breedlove works very well with the nylon. I had an old Martin D12-1 that I converted but I sold it. I wish I had not. It had a thin top and really was loud with the nylon. Fortunatly, the gal I sold it to plays in our band and I get to hear it all the time. The Breedlove is good but not as loud as the Martin. It has a Fishman pick up so I just plug it in but, I don't really need to. Some of the Asian builders are using a really thick wood on their tops for strength, I guess. I would recommend finding a 12 string with a thinner sound board.
I made a new bridge saddle. I didn't have to but I made it just a little higher than the original one. I then adjusted the truss rod to the action I wanted with zero string buzz.
As I have said in other threads, I do not like to play with finger picks or flat picks. I do not like the wear from steel strings on my fingernails because it effects my banjo frailing. The nylon 12 string solves all my issues.
Mine sounds very much like the one Garthman converted.
Another big advantage is that I can keep it up to concert pitch without pondering the price of a neck reset. happy to answer any other questions...john
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Garthman is right about the nut slots... I bought the files and did them exactly the same way he did. I don't think you will be able to avoid it. The action will be too high and the strings will pinch. It's a pain until this is done.
Just proceed slowly with the nut. john
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
Ballend nylons are easier - La Bella, D'Addario and Martin do ballend sets.

I use La Bella 850 or 900 series strings (because I like them) which are loopend - I just tie one or two knots on the end of the string - works fine.

You will need to re-cut some of the nut slots to accommodate some of the wider nylon stings. Best thing is to string up first then test each string for fit - if the slot needs widening you can use a piece of folded fine grit emery paper (assuming you don't have needle files) - just lift out the string to one side, file gently, refiit the string - repeat the process until the fit is correct. Take it slow and steady.

You might also need to slacken off the truss-rod a tad but again string up first and check the neck relief.

And good luck - nylon rules.
Wouldn't happen to have a sound clip or video of your set up? Would like to hear that.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 AM

You could use Diamond Secure String Ties beads by Rosette Guitar Products on any regular nylon classical guitar string set and turn them into ball-ended strings for a steel-string guitar.

Regular nylons may not have the tension to drive a steel-string top. The solution is to use...Seaguar Premium Fluorocarbon Fishing Leader. These are available in poundage that is close to plain steel strings in tension.

The classical cats use 40, 60, 80 pounds strength. Some go 60, 80, 100.

An open-minded approach is key. See if you can get off-cuts from a broken reel from a fishing tackle shop on the cheap.

As for bass strings you gotta find a tonal match for the fluorocarbon strings. Pure nickel, Monel or Silk and Steel strings work better tonally in this regard. Phosphor-Bronze or 80/20 may be too metallic bright sounding.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-14-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinbob View Post
Wouldn't happen to have a sound clip or video of your set up? Would like to hear that.
No. But I'll do a short recording tonight and post it tomorrow/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical