The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-28-2023, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Best sounding practice amp under ~$200

I have a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue that I've had for more than 20 years. It's all the amp I need for any "gigging" I ever do, and I've always been happy with the tone.

I'd like to pick up a smaller amp that I can leave downstairs that sounds decent. the DRRI isn't a big amp, but it's big enough that I don't really want to leave it in my living room, or have to move it every time I want to play in a different room. I have a cheap Line6, and honestly it sounds terrible (I mean, it was $30 used, so I'm not really complaining).

Anything that I can get new or used in a smaller package than the DRRI that will give a decent tone? This will be purely a practice amp, or maybe something I'd haul over to my neighbors house once in a while. But the DRRI will get all the gig work.

I should add that I tend to like blackface or Vox kind of tone, not looking for high gain or crunch.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-28-2023, 10:09 PM

I'd recommend a Fender Frontman 25R. It has a great "clean" sound, and you can run any pedal you wish thru that clean channel. The overdrive sound is garbage, but you don't need it. They're no longer in production, but available used for good prices. I already have one, but I'd buy another if it was priced right, just because of its value.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:34 PM

Look around for an old Fender Champ. Not as cheap as they used to be, but still obtainable if you can find a good deal on one. Not sure if you can find one for under $200 now or not, though..

And highly portable..

Here's my '69.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:12 AM

A Positive Grid Spark Go can fit the bill and have lots of utility in other ways. For example, I bring it to gigs as my backup amp simulator, reverb, and overdrive (I go straight to the PA with my electric). I use it with an Ibanez Q for vacations requiring air travel. It is also a pretty good Bluetooth speaker.

You do need to enable and max out the volume of the GEQ that follows the amp model to get it loud enough in clean settings to play with acoustic guitarists. A little overdrive and you can blow them away...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 07-29-2023 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:34 AM

I also have a Fender Frontman 25. I use it often with headphones.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:57 AM

I think I'd consider waiting until I could pick up a Bugera V5 combo on sale.

Bugera V5 Combo at Sweetwater

I keep thinking how nice one of these would be with a nice custom finger jointed oar or walnut cabinet, and since I have a nice shop...

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-29-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I think I'd consider waiting until I could pick up a Bugera V5 combo on sale.

Bugera V5 Combo at Sweetwater

I keep thinking how nice one of these would be with a nice custom finger jointed oar or walnut cabinet, and since I have a nice shop...
Custom 12in speaker cab

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 07-29-2023, 09:22 AM

Gave my brother a Frontman 25, good clean channel. A Monoprice/Stage Right 15, Laney Cub 10 or 12R
Old 07-29-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Custom 12in speaker cab
Sound-wise, yes.

The OP is asking for something smaller than the Deluxe Reverb already in possession. I think a Bugera T5 head or V5 combo plus a 12" cab is going to be a bit larger...
Old 07-29-2023, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I kind of forgot about those Monoprice ones... $117 ATM, and they get a lot of love. There's also a bunch of Bugeras at GC used for about $150... either would probably fit the bill. Need to do a little research.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 07-29-2023, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I got one of those solid state made in USA broncos. They’re only 15w with 8” speaker, so pretty much they’re a frontman with the vintage tweed cab. I put a Jensen speaker in mine and love it. Sounds very close to my pro junior or Bugera v22. Obv not as much bass or volume but not far off either, and super clean.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I got one of those solid state made in USA broncos.
That was actually my first amp, bought it in 1998 and sold it a couple years later to buy the DRRI. I did like it, though.

(Call me Dan)
Old 07-29-2023, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
That was actually my first amp, bought it in 1998 and sold it a couple years later to buy the DRRI. I did like it, though.
They’re cool little amps and with the Jensen speaker I could tell an immediate difference. It went from pretty good to great. They’re kind of expensive on reverb but I got mine at my local music go round after trading in a pedal and haggling a bit. $200 for the amp + $50 for the mod 8 speaker, so a little over your budget.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I kind of forgot about those Monoprice ones... $117 ATM, and they get a lot of love. There's also a bunch of Bugeras at GC used for about $150... either would probably fit the bill. Need to do a little research.
No reverb on the Monoprice 5 watt tube amps, though. I've had three different 5 watt tube amps without reverb and it's a bit of a pain. Sure, you can add a pedal, but that's more expense and more things to hook up. A small combo with reverb makes it pretty easy to move around the house easily.

I think the newer Bugeras (Infinium version) are considered to be much better amps, so the older models might not be good used candidates.

Steve DeRosa has a very nice review topic here on the forum that's easy to find with a search. Steve knows everything there is to know about the Bugera line of tube amps, including popular modifications.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
No reverb on the Monoprice 5 watt tube amps, though. I've had three different 5 watt tube amps without reverb and it's a bit of a pain. Sure, you can add a pedal, but that's more expense and more things to hook up. A small combo with reverb makes it pretty easy to move around the house easily.
That was about the point that I had just gotten to in my research. Got me leaning toward the Bugera.

(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars