The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Tell her to come back home - Fahey (and a few questions)

Hi there! Finally tried to record a full song after a long while, now that I have a good mic pair.
I tried recording in my 2 guitars to see if there was any difference.
Some other comments for after seeing the videos below:

So...
This was my first attempt trying to record more than one take in different angles and then try to glue things together in premiere.
Already thought about some things to make things more seamless next time but for now:

1- Was it noticeable? And how much? Some parts were a bit obvious to me, but I already know about the cuts. Is there some sort of visual metronome (to not be picked up by the mics) to make sure you are recording in the same beat everytime? Is there any easy way to make sure your guitar is in the same position relative to the mics when doing another take after getting up to reset the camera, etc?

2- About sample rate. From what I know youtube reproduces audio at 48khz 360. I noticed that when I record and export in 96khz, premiere (the video editor) changes the audio noticeably when exporting the video with the audio set to youtube sample rate. I wonder... Is there a better delivery? Say... Use the recorder at 96khz edit/export in daw at 96khz, render the video at 96khz, let youtube do the resampling VS record 96 export 96 render 48 VS record 96 export 48 VS record 48?

3- About mic position. From the previous recording I would say I can get pretty close to the quality I want:

But for some reason... This latest attempt doesn't sound as good.
I guess one of the main reasons, other than relative position in the room, is the mic positioning.
Is there any position that will wield good results without having to go back and forth doing small adjustments?
Old 11-16-2018, 10:26 AM

Both versions sound good! I prefer the second one because it's a bit brighter, but I think either would work.

As for your questions:
1 - I'm not good enough to notice the different tracks of audio/timing issues, but https://www.flutetunes.com/metronome/ has the visual pulse you're asking for. I also read something somewhere about a watch that vibrates in time on your hand, which seems cool but I'm not sure I could deal with that.

Another fix that I know some youtubers use is to record the audio separately, polish it up, and then do the video takes with the finished product. Most recording software will give you a click track you can listen to with headphones, which would solve timing stuff.

2 - The simple/naive way to get it not to change the audio is to work at youtube's rate to begin with, or export a "good" version for soundcloud/bandcamp/you're personal collection and a youtube version for the video.

3 - I do a couple of videos a month and I have a general mic position i start with and then have to make small adjustments every time to get the best sound. I think it depends on the day, how you're playing, how the room has changed (for those of us without dedicated studio spaces), astrological movements, etc.

Taylor 210e, Alvarez AC65, Yamaha CG 101, Cordoba C5, San Cristobal Cigar Box Guitar, Pueblo Drum

My Stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVm...UlGJ1FX1KRzszw
Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcawi View Post
Both versions sound good! I prefer the second one because it's a bit brighter, but I think either would work.

As for your questions:
1 - I'm not good enough to notice the different tracks of audio/timing issues, but https://www.flutetunes.com/metronome/ has the visual pulse you're asking for. I also read something somewhere about a watch that vibrates in time on your hand, which seems cool but I'm not sure I could deal with that.

Another fix that I know some youtubers use is to record the audio separately, polish it up, and then do the video takes with the finished product. Most recording software will give you a click track you can listen to with headphones, which would solve timing stuff.

2 - The simple/naive way to get it not to change the audio is to work at youtube's rate to begin with, or export a "good" version for soundcloud/bandcamp/you're personal collection and a youtube version for the video.

3 - I do a couple of videos a month and I have a general mic position i start with and then have to make small adjustments every time to get the best sound. I think it depends on the day, how you're playing, how the room has changed (for those of us without dedicated studio spaces), astrological movements, etc.
1-If I don't managed to get the same position/sound when changing the camera position, I could do one main video/audio recording and only play over already recorded audio when doing shots from other angles.
I've seem people that do a main perfect recording and play over in videos, but I think it feels pretty fake, since you can notice that the way the guitar is being played wouldn't sound anything like that.

2-Believe it or not the bitrate from soundcloud is worse than youtube.
I think my recorder doesn't have a 48khz recording option.
I could try to use it as a preamp and record on the daw when I'm recording in my room or use the daw to export the audio in 48khz 360kbps.

3-I guess I need to buy a extension for my earbuds and pray that the audio insert/plug never fails then.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Very nice recordings, thanks for posting.

I think both your guitars, while different, do a great job to support your playing of Fahey pieces, but I'd say I have a preference for your rosewood guitar.

As far as timing, and piecing together the takes, wouldn't a click track and an ear bud (in ear monitor) help? If that would take care of the video synchronization I think I'd use the audio from just one take (that would eliminate performance and micing differences).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell