The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

What a perfect time for Tim, Adrianne and myself. Having you, Isaac and Howard beside us was an easy set up for a great time.

You have great pictures here!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:10 PM

So as we all know, Woodstock is usually accompanied by an AWESOME party hosted by our very own Mike D with ~25 INCREDIBLE guitars, as well as food prepared by Mike himself - lobster, steak, shrimp, shellfish, cheese platter, wine... thank goodness dinner is soon!

Mike is just the best host where he was busy cooking and entertaining the guests, while we were merrily eating/drinking and picking guitars right off the stands. Mike did not care about who was playing the guitars and that is just so big hearted of him to share such valuable instruments. Rest assured, I kept my eyes peeled and did not notice and mis-handling of the instruments

I've asked Mike for permission to post these photos (but if you take it back Mike, just let me know and I'll take them down) so sit back and enjoy! Some of the luthier guitars that were present would be T. J. Thompson, Jeff Traugott, Kim Walker, Ken Parker, Michihiro Matsuda, Leonardo Buendia, and about 10 pre-war Martins, most of which seemed to be in the 1930s - just an incredible collection.

Traugott

T. J. Thompson

Matsuda

Kim Walker

Ken Parker

My personal favourites were the Matsuda and Kim Walker, the latter which belonged to John Thomas

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-30-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
What a perfect time for Tim, Adrianne and myself. Having you, Isaac and Howard beside us was an easy set up for a great time.

You have great pictures here!
Thanks so much for your hospitality Mary and Tim, giving all us AGFers our badge which wore proudly, as well as some awesome goodies too

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-30-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Yeah...this one is mine.

The replacement for the 00-R that was destroyed during shipping almost exactly 2 years ago.
Joel gave me the opportunity to try your new guitar, facing the wall as Marcus said, to hear it better! It's a fine guitar and one of the most beautiful and distinctive guitars at the show. I think you'll be happy with it.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 10-30-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
So as we all know, Woodstock is usually accompanied by an AWESOME party hosted by our very own Mike D with ~25 INCREDIBLE guitars, as well as food prepared by Mike himself - lobster, steak, shrimp, shellfish, cheese platter, wine... thank goodness dinner is soon!

Mike is just the best host where he was busy cooking and entertaining the guests, while we were merrily eating/drinking and picking guitars right off the stands. Mike did not care about who was playing the guitars and that is just so big hearted of him to share such valuable instruments. Rest assured, I kept my eyes peeled and did not notice and mis-handling of the instruments

I've asked Mike for permission to post these photos (but if you take it back Mike, just let me know and I'll take them down) so sit back and enjoy! Some of the luthier guitars that were present would be T. J. Thompson, Jeff Traugott, Kim Walker, Ken Parker, Michihiro Matsuda, Leonardo Buendia, and about 10 pre-war Martins, most of which seemed to be in the 1930s - just an incredible collection. (snip)

My personal favourites were the Matsuda and Kim Walker, the latter which belonged to John Thomas
Wow, great pics Marcus! And to echo your comments, Mike D. is a class act! It was almost surreal, playing guitars that otherwise I would have never had access to, and I thank him immensely for the rare opportunity! John Slobod's guitar (at the front of the MEGA-RACK) was one of my favorites - the neck profile was perfect for me. It's amazing how the guitars such as John's and Jeff (Traugott's) shatter notions of what a maple bodied guitar could sound like. I didn't want to put the Buendia "Tree" guitar down, it made every simple thing I played sound epic! I could say the same for the Matsuda - Michi's aesthetics are so unique yet blend so perfectly that they could be considered modern "classics." One Martin looked like a reissue but was an original 1928...Not having access to any pre-war Martins beforehand, I understand now why many of these are so highly sought and coveted now, and why many builders today aim for that level of sonic heaven!
Old 10-30-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:

That was a wonderful evening and Mike is an extraordinary host!

Quote:
... and Kim Walker, the latter which belonged to John Thomas
It once belonged to me. Sigh. I enjoyed visiting it.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
That was a wonderful evening and Mike is an extraordinary host!

It once belonged to me. Sigh. I enjoyed visiting it.
Oh you poor thing! Ha ha ha. Don't get any tear drops on that killer black Walker that I drool over on a semi-annual basis!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Joel gave me the opportunity to try your new guitar, facing the wall as Marcus said, to hear it better! It's a fine guitar and one of the most beautiful and distinctive guitars at the show. I think you'll be happy with it.

Thanks for this.

The guitar has been in my hands for the past few hours, and I think it will work out just fine (intentional understatement).

I have been playing OM sizes guitars the past many months, and even as a brand new guitar Joel’s 00-R is holding up rather well on it’s maiden voyage.

More, later...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Oh you poor thing! Ha ha ha. Don't get any tear drops on that killer black Walker that I drool over on a semi-annual basis!
Yeah, I had 3 Walkers. These 2 seem sufficient:

Old 10-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hate you. Hate.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:31 AM

The pair from Isaac Jang are breathtakingly elegant — I can’t stop thinking about them. Somehow, I can see how richly balanced they will sound.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Hate you. Hate.
You're always welcome to stop by to play them!
Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Thanks for this.

The guitar has been in my hands for the past few hours, and I think it will work out just fine (intentional understatement).

I have been playing OM sizes guitars the past many months, and even as a brand new guitar Joel’s 00-R is holding up rather well on it’s maiden voyage.

More, later...
I hope that the guitar brings you more joy than sorrow this time around Larry! Joel continues to build incredible instruments and we are very fortunate to own one

Looking forward to your videos!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:

When are these going to be sold (read as donated) to me?

Just stunning guitars. Kim Walker is certainly one of the best builders out there! Unparalleled balance.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-31-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
The pair from Isaac Jang are breathtakingly elegant — I can’t stop thinking about them. Somehow, I can see how richly balanced they will sound.
Hi David, I feel that Isaac's guitars look even better in person. Really immaculate workmanship and design. Before seeing them in person, I suspected that due to the complexity of the design, it might not be as clean as they are in photos, but they really are!

They definitely sound great too - very responsive and dynamic with a clear voice. Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] if you would like to discuss about his tone in detail

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
michaud made, new york, singapore, the golden era guitar, woodstock