The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-28-2018, 11:14 AM

Great photos Marcus! Keep on posting so I can get the feeling I'm there!
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 10-28-2018, 02:56 PM

That’s Mr Zero to you. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
First up, we have a OO Adirondack/Fiddleback Mahogany from Leo Buendia for our fellow AGF member, Jason. The guitar was so resonant that while I was tuning up the guitar, the vibrations from the body was felt in the tuner heads which made my fingers slightly numb it was a guitar with very strong fundamentals and sounded really huge! You're gonna be a happy man

Old 10-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

So great bud. I’m all the way jealous.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Michael Bashkin had a fan-fret guitar, the first I ever played. I now want one. I don't play in drop tunings, and don't want anything overly dramatic, but really liked the 25.7" - 25" feel, all the way up and down the neck. The one he brought was really stellar. It had buffalo horn inlays that wrap off the side of the neck to become the side fret markers. I was really taken with that guitar. And I think Michael's headstocks are among the nicest out there (along with Joel Michaud and Isaac Jang).

I wish I had stopped by Linda Manzer's table. I'm curious about the wedge design. I'm told it makes the fretboad rotate a touch, providing some kind of an ergonomic advantage. Not sure if she brought any with her, but that would have been nice to try.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Yeah...this one is mine.

The replacement for the 00-R that was destroyed during shipping almost exactly 2 years ago.

I had intended to pick the guitar up in-person at Woodstock, but fell rather ill on my first flight (EUG-Denver) this past Thursday. Had to spend the night in Denver, and then fly home the next day. Still recovering.

The guitar is indeed a 00-R, East Indian Rosewood, but with Euro/spruce...not Sitka...I let Joel pick this. The black top, well, let's just say we went all "Johnny Cash" on this aspect of the guitar. I guess Joel and I are outlaws at heart.

I hear that the guitar has ended up sounding pretty good (understatement), and I'll probably take delivery on Wednesday of this week.

Sorry I missed meeting you, Marcus, and also missed a whole bunch of friends.

So it goes...
I always wondered what happened after that very unfortunate incident with your first Michaud guitar. Very happy to hear that this is yours. Looking forward to your impressions on this one!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Yeah...this one is mine.

The replacement for the 00-R that was destroyed during shipping almost exactly 2 years ago.

I had intended to pick the guitar up in-person at Woodstock, but fell rather ill on my first flight (EUG-Denver) this past Thursday. Had to spend the night in Denver, and then fly home the next day. Still recovering.

The guitar is indeed a 00-R, East Indian Rosewood, but with Euro/spruce...not Sitka...I let Joel pick this. The black top, well, let's just say we went all "Johnny Cash" on this aspect of the guitar. I guess Joel and I are outlaws at heart.

I hear that the guitar has ended up sounding pretty good (understatement), and I'll probably take delivery on Wednesday of this week.

Sorry I missed meeting you, Marcus, and also missed a whole bunch of friends.

So it goes...
Was looking forward to meeting you in person Larry. Corrected the Euro in my original comment! It was a lovely guitar, and I can't wait to hear what you think as well as showing it off with your wonderful videos. Get well soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokezero View Post
That’s Mr Zero to you. LOL!
When are you receiving this guitar??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
So great bud. I’m all the way jealous.
I know you are Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Michael Bashkin had a fan-fret guitar, the first I ever played. I now want one. I don't play in drop tunings, and don't want anything overly dramatic, but really liked the 25.7" - 25" feel, all the way up and down the neck. The one he brought was really stellar. It had buffalo horn inlays that wrap off the side of the neck to become the side fret markers. I was really taken with that guitar. And I think Michael's headstocks are among the nicest out there (along with Joel Michaud and Isaac Jang).

I wish I had stopped by Linda Manzer's table. I'm curious about the wedge design. I'm told it makes the fretboad rotate a touch, providing some kind of an ergonomic advantage. Not sure if she brought any with her, but that would have been nice to try.
I don't represent Michael Bashkin but I do have to give him a shout out. His 2018 models have been the best of his work I've played so far. They were definitely one of the better guitars at the show. Only consideration for fan frets would be if you palm mute when you play. If you do, you would be picking closer to the saddle on the trebles which will make it sound tinny, so my personal recommendation is to not get one if you play that style regularly. Adam Miller palm mutes often but has a really huge fan on his Traugott which he is apparently okay with so that's just my personal preference, and you should get one either way if you feel like it

Many other builders have incorporated Manzer wedges into their guitar. It's not a perceivable difference whether the fretboard rotates or not. The main ergonomic advantage is still the thinner body under your right arm haha I quite liked playing her Baritone which also had a fan fret. It was a thin bodied 15.75" model in Koa which was very fun to play with

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-29-2018, 03:57 PM

Bob has graciously posted very nice photos on his own thread. So to prevent an overlap in photos, I will perhaps just give a small review on a few builders I thought really impressed me. But first, here are the people I managed to meet at the festival! It was incredible meeting all of you, and I'm sorry to those I did not manage to get a photo with. What an experience walking among the stars like Michael and Tony who were down to earth and so friendly. This is what makes the luthier guitar community so great!!

Michael Chapdelaine

Tony McManus

Ben

Doug

Dennis

Justin and Michael

Louie

Dustin

Dan

Vasu

McKnights x Hatchers

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-29-2018, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Marcus,
It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person. Hope you have safe travels home.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 PM

Marcus,

It was awesome finally meeting you in person, and having a chance to hang out a bit! This year was very special for me, as I had more a chance to meet more people, and actually play a bit. Some awesome pics here as well! Safe return home, and hope to see you again!
Old 10-30-2018, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Smile Thanks!!!

Great thread

Thanks so much for sharing with us all. Safe travels... or perhaps you are home already.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 AM

I was only at the Showcase for a brief time on Sunday. Because of the crowds, it was tough to meet and greet everyone. But I have a bunch of favorite moments to share:
  • I had a long dark trip up from Connecticut, but I was greeted by an even earlier riser, Louie Atienza, and we got the day going on a high note. Great to meet you Louie!
  • At the same time I got to meet Baker Rorick. I got to thank him for the event. And then I realized how he had pulled this event off over the years - simple, pure mania.
  • At one point, Dana Bourgeois was walking out of the wood tent with a big pile of wood and the biggest grin you have ever seen (what was he planning?)
  • What a pleasure running into John Thomas. My award for the happiest guitar of the show went to that GI's Gibson beater - the one that had gone off to WWII and come back. What a pleasure to play and what a great guitar.
  • I love yakking with Sam Guidry - but we never talk about guitars, we talk about our families!
  • John Osthoff was showing one of his guitars made from "the tree". I was going to play it and there was a look of horror on his wife's face. I knew it must be me, checked for zippers, buckles, - what was wrong with me? John smiled - it's your metal finger picks - there's no pick guard! A good Mom is always looking after the children!
  • At the builder's workshop, six of the most amazing luthiers in the world pretty much said three things about what makes a great guitar: the build (the wood doesn't matter that much; the player (play 'em hard) and a wee bit of magic. That's it - that's the secret!
  • I got to see Grit Laskin's work up and personal. I happily ordered his book. He happily accepted American dollars!
  • I am running into Mark Seligman everywhere. Oh, the joy of retirement!
  • Various people hanging around yakking: oh, that's Dan Erlewine, oh, there's Tony McManus, Oh, That's Michael Gurian. Just folks.
  • Looking at the beautiful wood in the wood tent and imagining the guitars that will be built from it.
  • Linda Manzer is always smiling and is just the nicest person. And. I'll add, it seems that everyone is nice at the Showcase.
  • Listening to the incredible music as these beautiful instruments were played by incredible artists. And, seeing the luthier's face when he\she hear the instrument being played to its fullest
  • The setting. Woodstock, New York is a special place in October. Everyone is buttoning up and preparing for Winter, but there are leaves on the trees and the stream hasn't iced over.
  • And last on the list of fond memories, the "pumpkin guitar" that greets you as you walk in. It's a piece of junk with Phillips screws (not countersunk) for fret dots - totally unplayable, totally authentic.

So WILS is on hiatus for a year until 2020. This will be Baker's year off. If you are anywhere near the Northeast in two years, you really owe it to yourself to attend.

Rick

Last edited by srick; 10-30-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
At the builder's workshop, six of the most amazing luthiers in the world pretty much said three things about what makes a great guitar: the build (the wood doesn't matter that much; the player (play 'em hard) and a wee bit of magic. That's it - that's the secret!
There ya go! Can we pin this on the Custom Shop subforum?

Steve
Old 10-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So WILS is on hiatus for a year until 2020. This will be Baker's year off. If you are anywhere near the Northeast in two years, you really owe it to yourself to attend.

Rick
Im extremely glad I made the 8 hr drive there after reading this...That was the most fun I've had in years!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 10-30-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hey Marcus,
It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person. Hope you have safe travels home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Marcus,

It was awesome finally meeting you in person, and having a chance to hang out a bit! This year was very special for me, as I had more a chance to meet more people, and actually play a bit. Some awesome pics here as well! Safe return home, and hope to see you again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Great thread

Thanks so much for sharing with us all. Safe travels... or perhaps you are home already.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks so much guys! It was great meeting you too. I am currently in NYC for a couple more days before heading back to Singapore but thank you for your well wishes!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I was only at the Showcase for a brief time on Sunday. Because of the crowds, it was tough to meet and greet everyone. But I have a bunch of favorite moments to share:
  • I had a long dark trip up from Connecticut, but I was greeted by an even earlier riser, Louie Atienza, and we got the day going on a high note. Great to meet you Louie!
  • At the same time I got to meet Baker Rorick. I got to thank him for the event. And then I realized how he had pulled this event off over the years - simple, pure mania.
  • At one point, Dana Bourgeois was walking out of the wood tent with a big pile of wood and the biggest grin you have ever seen (what was he planning?)
  • What a pleasure running into John Thomas. My award for the happiest guitar of the show went to that GI's Gibson beater - the one that had gone off to WWII and come back. What a pleasure to play and what a great guitar.
  • I love yakking with Sam Guidry - but we never talk about guitars, we talk about our families!
  • John Osthoff was showing one of his guitars made from "the tree". I was going to play it and there was a look of horror on his wife's face. I knew it must be me, checked for zippers, buckles, - what was wrong with me? John smiled - it's your metal finger picks - there's no pick guard! A good Mom is always looking after the children!
  • At the builder's workshop, six of the most amazing luthiers in the world pretty much said three things about what makes a great guitar: the build (the wood doesn't matter that much; the player (play 'em hard) and a wee bit of magic. That's it - that's the secret!
  • I got to see Grit Laskin's work up and personal. I happily ordered his book. He happily accepted American dollars!
  • I am running into Mark Seligman everywhere. Oh, the joy of retirement!
  • Various people hanging around yakking: oh, that's Dan Erlewine, oh, there's Tony McManus, Oh, That's Michael Gurian. Just folks.
  • Looking at the beautiful wood in the wood tent and imagining the guitars that will be built from it.
  • Linda Manzer is always smiling and is just the nicest person. And. I'll add, it seems that everyone is nice at the Showcase.
  • Listening to the incredible music as these beautiful instruments were played by incredible artists. And, seeing the luthier's face when he\she hear the instrument being played to its fullest
  • The setting. Woodstock, New York is a special place in October. Everyone is buttoning up and preparing for Winter, but there are leaves on the trees and the stream hasn't iced over.
  • And last on the list of fond memories, the "pumpkin guitar" that greets you as you walk in. It's a piece of junk with Phillips screws (not countersunk) for fret dots - totally unplayable, totally authentic.

Rick
Thanks for the awesome summary Rick! A real pity about the 2019 hiatus. I would have loved for an excuse to visit the NY state again haha

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
michaud made, new york, singapore, the golden era guitar, woodstock