The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:28 PM

If it had playability and tone to die for, I would consider keeping it.

If not, I'd send it back. I'm sure there's nothing "wrong" with it, but I think it's ugly and looks like they made a mistake in manufacturing.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 11-16-2018, 04:58 PM

I guess this would be considered really ugly. Or is it ok to have multicolored wood on the back of a guitar?

1714red3.jpg
Old 11-16-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I guess this would be considered really ugly. Or is it ok to have multicolored wood on the back of a guitar?

Attachment 15574

I kinda like that! Reminds me of an old surfboard I once had.
scott
Old 11-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I have a classical that looks very much like that on the back except not quite as much sapwood. I think it's more traditional reserve highly figured woods or special features like sapwood for the back of guitars. Of course, there will be exceptions. Maybe that's because there's nothing "interrupting" that piece of wood like the bridge, fret board, strings, rosette, and sound hole on the top. Perhaps people think it would look too "busy" on the front because of those factors.

I remember on my first small-shop custom, I designated a center back strip on a moderately-figured ziricote back. The builder said he'd do it, but he'd hate to put that strip on such a beautiful back. And I was glad I went with his advice and left the back plain.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 11-16-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:22 PM

At the risk of keeping the Ebony derail going, Taylor is doing some cool side projects that are designed to utilize ebony that’s not suitable for instruments. They just introduced an Ebony slide that I’m hoping to find in my Christmas stocking and Bob Taylor has been working with a Japanese company on a chopstick. Cool stuff
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 11-16-2018, 06:28 PM

GC Corporate came through! "Women's intuition" on the integrity was right.
Spoke 5 x's via facetime to the GM or corporate relations for GC. After his initial shock, had me take closeup of every part.

*It is DEFECTIVE. 1" split in the sapwood below the bridge . Incorrect paint color. Even at GC cost, he recommended I return it. Unfortunately, there aren't any more available (despite the GC and MF websites) except for 47 scattered around the country in stores.

We found 1 unplayed in a glass display case. I like the look and feel of this edition, so if all goes well tomorrow it will be mine. If not, I'll move on.

Either way, I'm done with GC as this was my 3rd gtr with either cracked wood or dead spots from the striped African ebony fretboard in 9 months. Thanks for all your advise. I learned a heck of a lot.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Attachment 15574

That’s gorgeous!!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
That’s gorgeous!!

Oh my I love that!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnut View Post
Spoke 5 x's via facetime to the GM or corporate relations for GC. After his initial shock, had me take closeup of every part.

*It is DEFECTIVE. 1" split in the sapwood below the bridge . Incorrect paint color. Even at GC cost, he recommended I return it. Unfortunately, there aren't any more available (despite the GC and MF websites) except for 47 scattered around the country in stores.

We found 1 unplayed in a glass display case. I like the look and feel of this edition, so if all goes well tomorrow it will be mine. If not, I'll move on.

Either way, I'm done with GC as this was my 3rd gtr with either cracked wood or dead spots from the striped African ebony fretboard in 9 months. Thanks for all your advise. I learned a heck of a lot.
Sounds like you have clarity, and a plan. Good!

If I were in a store with lots of guitars hanging on the wall (including Mr. Stripey), I wouldn’t reach for the striped one at first. I think the stripe is not a harmonious visual element, and it puts me off a bit. If I eventually played it and loved the tone, that might override my initial aversion to its appearance.

Now that a structural defect has been identified, the decision is very easy.

I hope you find a superb guitar!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Attachment 15574
No, it isn't, George - you need to send that back RIGHT NOW!! It's completely unacceptable, and I'm shocked and surprised that you need the rest of us to tell you that.

As your third grade teacher might have said to you: "I'm VERY disappointed in you, George..."

Beachnut: if you can score a guitar that you like better, more power to you. I hope it sounds as good as the one you're sending back.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Either way, I'm done with GC as this was my 3rd gtr with either cracked wood or dead spots from the striped African ebony fretboard in 9 months.
Three defective guitars in nine months? I’m not trolling here, but were they all Taylors? If so, you may be boycotting the wrong corporation.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:40 AM

Sorry for any guitar I would play before purchase
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
No, it isn't, George - you need to send that back RIGHT NOW!! It's completely unacceptable, and I'm shocked and surprised that you need the rest of us to tell you that.
How could I have been so stupid? It's the best guitar I've ever played! I thought this was THE ONE and now you tell me it isn’t. I made a big mistake and will have to send it back. Life can be cruel sometimes. I’ll look for another one without any stripes.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Glad it's working out for you. I think some posts have come across as quite condescending towards you, and that's disappointing. While I don't agree with you that the sapwood on the top is a "defect," the spit in the wood obviously is, and indicative that the instrument has not been kept in a suitable environment. And I can totally understand wanting a more traditional look to the top than sapwood down the center and being disappointed at what you got. Honestly, that type of top wouldn't have even crossed my mind as a possibility of getting, but you learn something new everyday!

Last edited by jhmulkey; 11-17-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Three defective guitars in nine months? I’m not trolling here, but were they all Taylors? If so, you may be boycotting the wrong corporation.
Unless GC isn’t storing them in a humidity controlled warehouse or environment suited to guitars.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion