The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-28-2021, 08:23 AM

Default Do you use a Zoom H2N ? Feedback appreciated.

I am thinking of getting a Zoom H2N recorder as a means to record nature sounds when I film with my iPhone. The H2N is multi-pattern basic unit with 5 mics. Looking for feedback from those who use it / have used it. The M/S and surround features seem quite interesting as does its simplicity, small footprint, lightweight and low price. Thanks
Old 01-28-2021, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I am thinking of getting a Zoom H2N recorder as a means to record nature sounds when I film with my iPhone. The H2N is multi-pattern basic unit with 5 mics. Looking for feedback from those who use it / have used it. The M/S and surround features seem quite interesting as does its simplicity, small footprint, lightweight and low price. Thanks
Hi Daniel
I own/use an H2n, but only for tripod mounted quick recording of multiple acoustic musicians in the same space (like at a living room jam).

I've never tried it for capturing sounds in 'nature', but I have used the H1n for that sort of use.

The mid/side setting on the H2n requires using a decoder (free). I've never tried mid/side for recording anything other than musicians on one side of the array.

I own Zoom H1n, H2n, H4n, and I use the H1n and H4n the most. The H2n looks more elegant, but I'd be apprehensive to take it out of doors if inclement weather is forecast.

It claims 4 channel surround 'live'. Perhaps someone else will address that aspect. There are plenty of video/audios posted on YouTube accessed by typing 'Zoom H2n surround' in the search field.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-28-2021 at 09:35 AM. Reason: it needed it
Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 PM

Hi Daniel,
H2N would do an awesome job capturing natural ambient sounds.
I use it for this purpose and it is great .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9e_Nz8ZbIg

wind screen is a must though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mic: Line Audio CM4
Zoom H6
Audient ID14 mk II
Black Mountain thumbpicks

https://www.youtube.com/c/SergeDenfordGuitar
Old 02-18-2021, 09:18 AM

A belated thanks to both you guys. I just bought an H2N +wind screen and look forward to putting it thru its paces for, hopefully, decent nature recordings (once the snow is gone, that is). I did try it recording my acoustics and it is more than ok for a quick reference/record.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
…I did try it recording my acoustics and it is more than ok for a quick reference/record.
Hi DG

That's what I use the H2n most for (reference recordings). I mount it on a tripod and stick it in front of people who hate mics, and they do fine with it.

It's kind of "Anything that looks like an electric razor doesn't look like very serious recorder…" and they relax.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-19-2021, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I just bought an H1 to record my acoustic guitar and am very impressed with the sound quality and ease of use - it performs far above it's price tag IMHO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD