The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-02-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
After I ripped my many cd s to flac lossless, I was fortunate to have been put in touch with a local priest. He was shipping lots of material to a library that he supported in Nigeria.

So, somewhere across the ocean, there’s a village listening to Toby Walker and the Grateful Dead!

Rick
A few weeks ago, I was watching a Henry Rollins spoken word performance, and he filled up a 1TB hard drive with thousands of songs, which he's taken with him into places, where rock/jazz/punk music are not accessible or even permitted. And he's unloaded his hard drive to locals underground, so they have access to this music, which is pretty amazing, especially from a music artist. He basically said the same thing: there are kids in Iran listening to Iggy and The Stooges and Cole Porter b/c of his hard drive.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 PM

I bought a video capture card some years ago, and ripped a lot of the hard to replace VHS, or the stuff that I was to cheap to buy again. (Sorry Homespun) The cap card included software to author a DVD.

Sold some 500 cassette tapes at a store on Capitol Hill in the early oughts. Netted a pair of CDs, by Thelonious Monk and Curtis Counce. More of a highlight was meeting Arlo Guthrie while browsing, whose daughter lived there.

Ripped all my CDs, sadly to Apple Lossless instead of FLAC. I have kept them, some 1400+, plus all my vinyl. Due to a cautionary tale of a friend, who ripped some 800 CDs, and then had his house burgled and both of his hard drives, including the backup, carried away. In the meantime he had sold the originals.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Mycroft, that's where cloud storage is essential. The computer and backup drive could just as easily be destroyed in a fire, flood, etc., along with those CDs. I've used Backblaze for the last few years, in addition to my HD backup, mostly for photos, but it stores everything in the cloud for a reasonable price.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have any Irish/Celtic CDs, I'd be interested.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 03-04-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Media as in CD’s, DVD’s, VHS tapes....

I started a home cleanup project today, beginning with our over stuffed basement storage area. (After three kids and 27+ years in the same house the stuff has just piled up.)

I haven’t counted but I’m guessing there’s close to 400 CD’s, probably 200 DVD’s and 100+ VHS tapes. (Most of the DVD’s and virtually all the VHS tapes are kid related-Disney and the like.).

Digital music and streaming visual entertainment has made these items all but obsolete.

We still have a combo CD/DVD player and some items-notably Christmas music and movies-will be kept. The rest of it....

What do I do with them? Are they all just so much garbage now?

What have you guys done?
That's nothing.

I have 500 vinyl records and a couple hundred Victory Lable records from World War Two (they were pressed and sent to our military serving overseas so they would have something from home to combat the separation). I also have dozens or reel-to-reel tape.

Solution: Commit them to digital recordings if they are any good.

For the WWII stuff, putting them on mp3 players, CDs or such and donating them to retirement homes and assisted-living facilities would be a kindness much appreciated by people from that era who are still living.

Many of those people who cannot even talk clearly still respond to and sing along to music of their prime years. A blessing to all.

Congratulations to Pura Vida and Henry Rollins (post #16) for a similar (and farther-reaching) effort. Also kudos to Neil K Walk on his earlier post (#8)

Last edited by Lost Sheep; 03-04-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
We still play vinyl all the time. I keep thinking that someday my kids will find all those cassettes and CDs in the attic of the garage and go bonkers over them. I do have a number of vinyl albums though that are new. Some things never go out of style.
I have noticed that used record players' prices on Craigslist are moving up lately.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
A few weeks ago, I was watching a Henry Rollins spoken word performance, and he filled up a 1TB hard drive with thousands of songs, which he's taken with him into places, where rock/jazz/punk music are not accessible or even permitted. And he's unloaded his hard drive to locals underground, so they have access to this music, which is pretty amazing, especially from a music artist. He basically said the same thing: there are kids in Iran listening to Iggy and The Stooges and Cole Porter b/c of his hard drive.
Henry Rollins - a name I haven't heard in a while. Put aside his hardcore look and metal music he's a nice and clean guy and keeps healthy. Funny too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
I have noticed that used record players' prices on Craigslist are moving up lately.
That makes sense. There's been a resurgence of interest in records over the past few years and bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden are even re-releasing old albums now on vinyl.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
Didn't someone say that vinyl is starting to outsell CDs now? Both likely have a vastly smaller cut of the market than streaming.

BTW, I don't even use iTunes all that much - at least not for digital download. I get tired of songs after so many listens, though it's nice to be able to pause and even rewind.

OTOH, I do miss being able to listen to entire albums and be able to hear the music whispering off the needle as well as coming out of a set of speakers with woodgrain cabinets.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:03 PM

I still trying to decide what to do with my 8 track tapes.....

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo
Old 03-06-2021, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Henry Rollins - a name I haven't heard in a while. Put aside his hardcore look and metal music he's a nice and clean guy and keeps healthy. Funny too.
Two friends online post daily birthdays of musicians, so Angry Hank's was last month. They constantly send me down musical wormholes. For example, today is David Gilmour's 75th birthday, so I'm sure I'll be playing "Breathe" or "Wish You Were Here" on guitar later this evening.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Two friends online post daily birthdays of musicians, so Angry Hank's was last month. They constantly send me down musical wormholes. For example, today is David Gilmour's 75th birthday, so I'm sure I'll be playing "Breathe" or "Wish You Were Here" on guitar later this evening.
David Gilmore was 75 yesterday ... wow. Going to play Wish you were Here later today. That was one of the first songs I learned on guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic