The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
I really like Sennheiser mics. I switched several years ago. For about a month I had a Bose L1C, and I thought the SM58 sounded best through that. With the Fishman 330x and pretty much everything else I've used, I prefer Sennheiser.

I have the 935 and 945. Both are fantastic. I don't see myself buying another brand. I use the 945 steadily as I find it works best for my voice.
Ditto here. I wanted as much clarity as I could get 'cause my voice certainly does not provide that.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

e945 has been my go to vocal mic for years. When the mic went dead, Sweetwater replaced it n/c despite using it for many years at 200 shows a year.
I have a Beta 57a as my backup which is good but the e945 is better suited for my voice.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

I have three 935's.....really great bang for buck and super great vocals out of these. Big fan here!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 05-20-2022, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

While this thread cost me money, it did upgrade my vocals. I have been bouncing back and forth between an e835 and am SM57 with foam windscreen. Historically have used an SM57. The 57 sounds fairly flat with my voice (low baritone) which isn't bad, just not exciting. The e835 had a bit more sparkle and richer lows but could sound a bit edgy to me when pushed.

Bought an e935 based on this thread and last night did an A/B between the e835 and e935 into my Udo. Big difference. I have been on the fence with the Udo, in part because the vocals sounded so-so. Turns out that is pretty mic dependent as the e935 opened them up with no hint of edge as I pushed it (my voice can get very loud).

tl;dr - this mic is well worth the $200 price, as it does sound over 2x better than the $100 mics I've used. Your voice may vary...

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-20-2022, 09:45 PM

I did a mic shootout at my local music store in their PA room a few years ago with all the usual mics from the big brands. I left with the E935. It was not the most expensive, but it sounded the best for me.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:41 AM

I chose e935 when I was shopping for a vocal mic. Contenders were AKG D5, some Shures and others but the Senny was a clear match for my voice. Haven't felt a need for an upgrade ever. I do EQ my channel a bit, little boost for treble and little cut for mids and bass.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:16 AM

835 user here. This thread has me wanting to to try a 9x5. What is the difference between the 35 and 45?
Old 05-22-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildF20Guy View Post
835 user here. This thread has me wanting to to try a 9x5. What is the difference between the 35 and 45?
Cardioid and supercard. Pick yer poison

Edward
Old 05-22-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Cardioid and supercard. Pick yer poison

Edward

Yes. At this point in time, with portable line arrays being so popular, I would recommend getting the super-cardioid version of whatever mike you get, which in this case is the Sennheiser 945. It is a little more directional, and hence a little less susceptible to feedback when the speaker is behind you and off axis a little.

Plus, it takes a little practice to get used to a super-cardiod vs a regular cardioid. It is less forgiving if you get a little off axis. The thing is though, that super-cardioids are very popular, and if you get used to singing through the more directional mic, you can do exactly the same technique with a regular cardioid. Once you are used to a super-cardioid, you’ll have one technique that works well for most mics.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Yes. At this point in time, with portable line arrays being so popular, I would recommend getting the super-cardioid version of whatever mike you get, which in this case is the Sennheiser 945. It is a little more directional, and hence a little less susceptible to feedback when the speaker is behind you and off axis a little.

Plus, it takes a little practice to get used to a super-cardiod vs a regular cardioid. It is less forgiving if you get a little off axis. The thing is though, that super-cardioids are very popular, and if you get used to singing through the more directional mic, you can do exactly the same technique with a regular cardioid. Once you are used to a super-cardioid, you’ll have one technique that works well for most mics.
+1... I’ve been using the e945 for years and totally agree and can attest to all your points. The e945 works well with my voice and the fact that it’s a bit more directional benefits me because the majority of my shows are at tiki bars on the coast so wind noise is slightly reduced.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:27 PM

Sennheiser e9xx are excellent mics.

I hope isn’t too OT but: Cardioid mics are directional but they have a rear-facing pickup node
(It’s physics!). So don’t have the butt of the mic pointed at your monitor speaker.
The more directional the mic the more pronounced the effect. Keep all speakers off axis.

Cheers, _Roger
Old 05-23-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Sennheiser e9xx are excellent mics.

I hope isn’t too OT but: SuperCardioid mics are directional but they have a rear-facing pickup node
(It’s physics!). So don’t have the butt of the mic pointed at your monitor speaker.
The more directional the mic the more pronounced the effect. Keep all speakers off axis.

Cheers, _Roger
FTFY.

(Otherwise, +1).

Cardiod "null" (deaf spot) actually is the "butt" @180° from your face.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 05-23-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:19 AM

I've had an 835 fir

I was a long time SM58 or nothing.

the response of my SM58s is nothing compared to the sennheiser. not even in the same ball park I don't use the SM58s any more.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I’m pretty happy with my E935, but I’m always looking! Has anyone “upgraded” to a higher $$ dynamic mic and been happy with the change, or are we splitting hairs at this point?
Old 05-24-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I’m pretty happy with my E935, but I’m always looking! Has anyone “upgraded” to a higher $$ dynamic mic and been happy with the change, or are we splitting hairs at this point?

I’ve tried a few mics even after “having settled on an E935/945” - Heil PR35, Telefunken M80/81, Beyerdynamic M88 - and none of them have been any “better” than the Sennheisers. They’re arguably just as good, but once you reach a certain price point (that of the mentioned mics), you’re not going to have a discernible difference in audio quality until you spend thou$ands on an incredible mic preamp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification