The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-20-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Low action/relief

String questions really.

New to me classical guitar, 2020 Kremona 90th anniversary. Love it!

Came with Savarez Corum Alliance 500 AR. A bit worn but still good.

Nut height .020 inches all strings
Action: E- 3.5mm e- 2.8mm
The relief with these strings is .006 inches. Measured with Music Nomad feeler gauges and action gauge.

So, by the book, it seems the relief is low, the action is low, the nut good to a titch high.

The Savarez strings are a little lower tension (~ 85.5 lbs) than the manufacturer recommend RC Sonata S10 (~93 lbs).

It is playing ok, any buzz is probably attributable to my beginner technique. So I don’t really think there is much of a problem. Although I do feel they are a bit more touchy than other nylons I have played. I think it is more that I am used to steel strings and these feel loose or very soft.

The question is if going to the RC strings or other similar tension string, would that be enough to increase the low relief and low action. Or, if I decide it is too low, would I need to adjust the saddle.

I also have some d’Addario Pro Arte strings (also ~86 lbs) and some Curt Mangan fusion but I don’t know the tension of those (sent an email to ask).

Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-20-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Update: the Curtis Mangan strings are 85 lbs for normal tension.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Interesting that the RC sonatas are “NT” at 93 lbs/set and others like Savarez Corum you need their HT set to get to 93 lbs.

Sigh… I guess I need to just try them.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

When you say nut height is 0.020, what is that measuring? Height above the first fret when held at the second or third?

Action height is a matter of personal preference, personally I'd want it to be as low as possible without causing a buzz, at both ends. For me that means the nut is about the same height as the first fret, and the bridge is just high enough to stop any buzz as loud as I am likely to play that string. This is easily tested by fretting each string at each fret and plucking as hard as your are going to when playing.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the reply!

The 0.020 is not fretted. That is how the Music Nomad gear says to measure. When I fret at the second fret, like I thought you were supposed to, the string touches the fret.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:31 PM

That is how the Music Nomad gear says to measure.

Well, there's a much better way to measure and set the string height at the nut. Push the string down between the second and third fret. Measure the clearance between the first fret and the string. If you have a copy of Jose Oribe's book, The Fine Guitar, he shows this method on page 61. Oribe told me, if you have a good fingerboard and fret job you can go even lower...this gets you in the ballpark.
1st. string.....from .002 to .005 inches (.1mm)
2nd string.....from .003 to .006 inches (.1mm)
3rd string.... from .008 to .012 inches (.3mm)
4th string.... from .003 to .006 inches (.1mm)
5th string.....from .005 to .009 inches (.2mm)
6th string.....from .008 to . 012 inches (.3mm)
Old 05-22-2022, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsWeB View Post
That is how the Music Nomad gear says to measure.

Well, there's a much better way to measure and set the string height at the nut. Push the string down between the second and third fret. Measure the clearance between the first fret and the string. If you have a copy of Jose Oribe's book, The Fine Guitar, he shows this method on page 61. Oribe told me, if you have a good fingerboard and fret job you can go even lower...this gets you in the ballpark.
1st. string.....from .002 to .005 inches (.1mm)
2nd string.....from .003 to .006 inches (.1mm)
3rd string.... from .008 to .012 inches (.3mm)
4th string.... from .003 to .006 inches (.1mm)
5th string.....from .005 to .009 inches (.2mm)
6th string.....from .008 to . 012 inches (.3mm)

When measured your way, Oribe’s way, I get roughly 0.005 or a little less at #6. The rest are between 0.006 and 0.008.
I only have 0.006, 0.008 and 0.010 and thicker feeler gauges.
I don’t appreciate buzz, it plays great, the relief is on the low end, but within spec for this guitar per the manufacturer, so I guess I will leave it alone.
When I change strings, the next set will be Hannabach 815MT, about 7 lbs more tension than what is on it now and similar to the string tension the guitar ships with. I wonder if that will make a small difference.

Parsing the minutiae…
Old 05-24-2022, 12:23 PM

A problem you may run into with tall string height at the nut, aside from play-ability issues, is bad intonation. So it's always a good idea to have a nut professionally set up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical