The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 AM

That looks amazing....I love the sound port and rosette!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
That looks amazing....I love the sound port and rosette!
Thanks RH, I'm loving everything about this guitar and the theme elements rank near the top for me too
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 01-29-2011, 10:04 AM

Stunning. Simply stunning. Steve never fails to amaze me! I can't wait to see this with finish on it!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Jeff & Steve...

What a MAGNIFICENT guitar...

My jaw hit the floor, dislodged, rolled around a bit and I'm going to go look for it now...

Jeff... (That's all I had to say)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
Stunning. Simply stunning. Steve never fails to amaze me! I can't wait to see this with finish on it!
Thanks a lot, Joel, there are some exquisite pieces coming from the Stehr Shop O'Wonders too! I keep thinking there should be one of those PNW Stehr "Leaf" Guitars in my home one day...one day...one day (echoes in head as he begins to daydream about a Stehr build...)
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Steve here...I just wanted to say that I've gotten a lot of inspiration from watching Joel Stehr's build threads, and I am knocked out by the sheer beauty and elegance of his guitars. Joel, you are the MAN at the top of the hill, in my estimation.

For example--On this guitar I'm making for Jeff, my second attempt at making a bevel--you'll see how Joel's design influence is coming out in my work. Let's just call this the "Edwinson version of the Stehr style Ryan bevel".

Joel does indeed set the bar very high. I'm humbled and honored that we have several build clients in common--Henderson, Jim, Ernie...that's a very classy group to be hanging out with.

I can't wait to see the guitars that Joel brings to Healdsburg this summer!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cminor7sus4 View Post
Steve here...I just wanted to say that I've gotten a lot of inspiration from watching Joel Stehr's build threads, and I am knocked out by the sheer beauty and elegance of his guitars. Joel, you are the MAN at the top of the hill, in my estimation.

For example--On this guitar I'm making for Jeff, my second attempt at making a bevel--you'll see how Joel's design influence is coming out in my work. Let's just call this the "Edwinson version of the Stehr style Ryan bevel".

Joel does indeed set the bar very high. I'm humbled and honored that we have several build clients in common--Henderson, Jim, Ernie...that's a very classy group to be hanging out with.

I can't wait to see the guitars that Joel brings to Healdsburg this summer!
Thanks Jeff and Steve, you guys are awesome
Old 01-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Hey, I thought I heard someone talking about me but there must be another Ernie in here because it came with the word "classy."

My Stehr is a lifer and I know my Edwinson will be too. Classy or not, I'm blessed!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Hey, I thought I heard someone talking about me but there must be another Ernie in here because it came with the word "classy."

My Stehr is a lifer and I know my Edwinson will be too. Classy or not, I'm blessed!
Anybody out there heard any of Ernie's sound clips? This is ONE CLASSY GUY! I'm talkin' about talent and soul, and an "Elemental" touch on the guitar that I could listen to all day. I really look forward to delivering his Edwinson later this year, and hearing what he does with it. That's what makes lutherie so rewarding! -steve
Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Anybody out there heard any of Ernie's sound clips? This is ONE CLASSY GUY! I'm talkin' about talent and soul, and an "Elemental" touch on the guitar that I could listen to all day. I really look forward to delivering his Edwinson later this year, and hearing what he does with it. That's what makes lutherie so rewarding! -steve
If I could I'd be blushing right now.

Thanks Steve.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yep, I've heard a few of Ernie's sound clips and I agree 110%. He has that magic touch with the guitar that really shines through when he plays. And, his voice is like butter on a cinnamon roll! I hope to hear a clip of Ernie playing the Edwinson!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
Yep, I've heard a few of Ernie's sound clips and I agree 110%. He has that magic touch with the guitar that really shines through when he plays. And, his voice is like butter on a cinnamon roll! I hope to hear a clip of Ernie playing the Edwinson!
Wow, Joel, what a great description! "Butter on a cinnamon roll..." I'll never be happy with a plain ole bagel & cream cheese now.

My own singing voice is a lot like balogna on wonder bread, with yellow mustard. Sigh.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Wow, Joel, what a great description! "Butter on a cinnamon roll..." I'll never be happy with a plain ole bagel & cream cheese now.

My own singing voice is a lot like balogna on wonder bread, with yellow mustard. Sigh.
Ok. That's it. I need to hear those sound clips... just as soon as a I make a run to Panera for a hot buttery cinnamon roll. (looks down at waistline shaking head from side to side)
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 PM

This thread is making me hungry!!
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Pressing on!

So, it's been a couple of weeks since an update... but activity has been constant on the build. A couple of different work stages have taken place with the fretboard, neck, headstock, and bridge. There were some days of collaboration to determine what was most fitting for the fretboard inlay and then detailing the specifics of the neck carve. All things said, I'm pretty excited about the way things have turned out to this point. I can only see blue skies and open road as we make for the finish line.

We started with the fretboard work once the sound box was closed up with Steve selecting a nice piece of cocobolo. This would be accented by the binding, bevel, front plate of the headstock, and the bridge.

Next, the laminated neck was all glued up as follows: Honduran mahogany with walnut center and maple veneer lines...

Here are some more shots detailing the assembly and rough cut of the neck along with the beautifully bookmatched cocobolo for the front of the headstock. The backstrap of the headstock is macassar ebony from the original wood set.

Next up: Fretboard and Headstock work...
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop