The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 03:34 PM

Default Done Buying Used Online

Over the years I've bought countless guitars on Ebay and Reverb and had many good experiences. The last three major purchases have all be BAD!

I bought a D-18 GE that had a crack in the side where the tailblock is - I seriously doubt that it happened during shipping and the owner didn't disclose it. He refunded me $850 which made it a great deal and I got it fixed and it's fine.

I bought a D-41 that had a crack between the bridge pin holes in the bridge that was not disclosed - again, there's almost no way this happened during shipping. I had my luthier fill it as he said it was not a structural issue and was fine.

I just got a Recording King RK-36 banjo today with a serious crack in the neck by the headstock. Seller says it must have happened during shipping. Once again, I doubt that and the seller and I are both now working with Reverb to resolve this - I won't keep this one as I don't want a banjo with a crack in that place even if he gave me a bunch of $$ back.

So, my conclusion is that there are many unscrupulous sellers out there that will sell damaged instruments without divulging the issues in the hopes that the buyer will either put up with it, be ignorant and not notice or they can just claim that the damage happened during shipping and hope that they'll get some insurance $$ (we all know how difficult insurance claims are on instruments that have been shipped.)

I know there are many trustworthy sellers out there. But, I'm aggravated and have had it. I'm sticking to buying locally or buying new online from reputable dealers with a decent return policy. Argh.....
Old 02-17-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I just had a 10 year old used guitar returned because the color wasn't what the buyer thought it looked like in the pictures and the pick guard had some pick brushes on it. $$$

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-17-2020, 04:01 PM

Sorry about your bad luck. I've probably purchased more than a half dozen used guitars online and never had a bad experience.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiAndrew View Post
Over the years I've bought countless guitars on Ebay and Reverb and had many good experiences.....
Same here. And I'm pretty much done with that.

But in my case, that's because I have acquired the guitars of my dreams, and my Guitar Acquisition Syndrome is well in remission! My guitars came from all over the U.S. I would never have been able to acquire them if I'd only shopped locally.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-17-2020, 04:14 PM

Maybe there are too many guitars being sold.

The last 2 new guitars I purchased had serious problems causing a return.
I started selling guitars on Reverb about a year ago. I've never been asked so many irrelevant questions. Definitely a buyer's market, currently. And a lot of the buyer's care about everything but how the guitar plays and sounds.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I don't even bother looking at Ebay, for anything. When I look on Reverb, the first thing I look for is to see if I could drive to pick it up. If not, I don't look any further.

There are just too many bad deals reported here. I don't need the aggravation
Old 02-17-2020, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I'm about there too. I do have a used Eastman on the way... but that's not a high dollar guitar. At this point every used guitar over about $800 I've bought entirely online has gone back, that's about 5 or 6 guitars, the most minor infraction just went back last week... a 00-18 with undisclosed binding separation, but the listing allowed a 30 day return period. That was the least bad one... the worst was an Epiphone Texan that was listed as having a top crack and needing tuning machines, but showed up with all of the top braces in a plastic bag in the pocket of the gig bag.

On another note, though, it is entirely possible that the headstock damage on the banjo happened during shipping... other than getting crushed, that kind of headstock damage is one of the most common types of damage (in guitars anyway, I'd assume banjos too).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiAndrew View Post
Over the years I've bought countless guitars on Ebay and Reverb and had many good experiences. The last three major purchases have all be BAD!

I bought a D-18 GE that had a crack in the side where the tailblock is - I seriously doubt that it happened during shipping and the owner didn't disclose it. He refunded me $850 which made it a great deal and I got it fixed and it's fine.

I bought a D-41 that had a crack between the bridge pin holes in the bridge that was not disclosed - again, there's almost no way this happened during shipping. I had my luthier fill it as he said it was not a structural issue and was fine.

I just got a Recording King RK-36 banjo today with a serious crack in the neck by the headstock. Seller says it must have happened during shipping. Once again, I doubt that and the seller and I are both now working with Reverb to resolve this - I won't keep this one as I don't want a banjo with a crack in that place even if he gave me a bunch of $$ back.

So, my conclusion is that there are many unscrupulous sellers out there that will sell damaged instruments without divulging the issues in the hopes that the buyer will either put up with it, be ignorant and not notice or they can just claim that the damage happened during shipping and hope that they'll get some insurance $$ (we all know how difficult insurance claims are on instruments that have been shipped.)

I know there are many trustworthy sellers out there. But, I'm aggravated and have had it. I'm sticking to buying locally or buying new online from reputable dealers with a decent return policy. Argh.....
I have enough problems with new products. This extends beyond guitars. I don’t buy used anything.

What you are describing are the exact kinds of scenarios that run through my mind towards explaining why I will not buy used guitars. Your experiences are just a few examples. There have been enough bad experiences from others on here to sink a ship. It is a risk. One that I just don’t have the time or inclination to deal with.

People can really suck. I suspect you suspicions that the sellers knew is bang on.

Good luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-17-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

If it weren't for long distance buying, I'd still own the turn of the century Takamine that I purchased new at Guitar Center and nothing else...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I have bought several used guitars--TwoMartins, a Taylor, a Gibson and an Eastman over the internet. All from people who were selling on AGF. Never had a problem.
1982 K. Yairi YW1000 14 fret
Breedlove Oregon Concert 14 Fret
PRS Ten Top
Old 02-17-2020, 06:33 PM

My used Taylor arrived today in perfect condition. Looked exactly like the photos. I did buy from a reputable dealer who I had purchased from before. I’m very skeptical about buying from a private party (or a dealer for that matter) without some kind of trial period or return policy.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 02-18-2020, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

My problem is with the cost of shipping. When I started buying/selling, you could ship a guitar anywhere in the lower 48 for $50-60, insured.

Now it's more like $125 or more, with insurance on top of that. Where I live now has something to do with that, an isolated little town up in the mountains.

I'm happy with the guitars that I've got now, so maybe my buying/selling days are over. But I do still check the local CL every few days in case something of interest pops up that I can drive to see.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 AM

Buying used, unplayed, carries risk. Ignoring it doesn't make it go away, and just because it hasn't gone against you in a purchase, it doesn't mean it didn't exist. You were fortunate.

I've never received a damaged guitar, just a few that I wouldn't have bought had I first played them. That's another risk you take.

I hope you get the banjo issue resolved to your satisfaction.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-18-2020, 06:56 AM

I buy used guitars very confidently from AGF members on the Classifieds page.....especially glad to deal with those members who have a track record here.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

That's why you buy here at the AGF instead of reverb or ebay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion