The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 12:48 PM

Default Good choice!

I hung one just like it on the wall for years, with no problems- except that it didn't sound like a good flat-top. It's a good, chunky tone at moderate volume, but you still might miss playing your number one.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 02-18-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:47 AM

I have been watching this thread with some interest, since I was in a somewhat
similar situation a few years back. The Martin was in a case and rarely played. A GS Mini hung on the wall much of the time but with enough worry over humidification that it spent much of its time in the gig bag. My solution was to sell both and go carbon...
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 AM

On a related note....are there any "guitar covers" that protect a hanging or guitar on a stand from dust and such? I have one hanging on my closet with a humidifier running and I sometimes get a little film on the guitar. I currently have an old pillow case around it, but want something more appropriate.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:55 AM

I think a Martin X series is a great solution. Or if you want to go even cheaper, a Yamaha FG series. I have an old FG730 under my desk at work and it never gets humidified and always sounds great without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
This is getting too complicated. I appreciate the helpful spirit of the alternate suggestions (room humidifiers, wanting to know why that is impractical, questioning why I don't have one, etc.) and I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the responses, but the entire point of my original post was simply to elicit suggestions for a guitar that I could leave anywhere in the house as a "grab and play". I've evaluated my options. We may get a new whole house unit next year. I don't want to buy, nor do I need, a room humidifier.

I already have a guitar room/studio. My "good" guitars are already properly humidified.

I was merely looking for suggestions for a "beater" guitar that isn't a piece of crap and that wouldn't be susceptible to damage from dry conditions.

Last edited by JackB1; 02-17-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:07 AM

Here you go. On Sale!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...00000289200.gc
Old 02-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
I think a wiser and less espensive choice would be to get a room humidifier rather than another guitar. Low humidity affects more things than just guitars, too.
I agree. Here in Eastern Ontario it's been cold and that means lower RH but I have a room humidifier and an hygrometer and the readings have been over 40% generally. When it dips into the 30's and the humidifier is maxed I return my J-45 to its case with the D'Addario gel packs and things are safe. You need to monitor the RH and react to the readings. Most of the time I feel safe with the guitar on it's stand. BTW it sounds better in the 40% range relative to the summer when the humidity kicks in. Then the case is a safer haven (w/ gel packs) to dry things out.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:32 AM

I am certainly no expert but my set out guitar is a BR 42 Blueridge. If you have never tried a Blueridge they are considerably close sounding to a Martin. If you want American made then they are out of the question. I bought mine to take any where and to not worry if it gets damaged because I can always afford to replace it. Ended up replacing pegs and saddle with buffalo horn and the little darling sounds GREAT!!! Solid top spruce and maghony laminate sides and back.
1817 Ovation vintage
Old 02-17-2020, 10:42 AM

Eastman makes all solid wood e1om(spruce/sap), e2d and e2om(cedar/sap) and the AC122 in spruce/sap or cedar sap all at around the 500$ mark. These are highly preferable with great repuations for being super high value for the money.. Eastman also makes a pch or phc, I cant remember the term that ships with a solid top and laminated back and sides for under 300$usd. Great instruments all of them hand crafted. I would be happy to own any of them.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:19 PM

I use a room humidifier, and any given point, either one of my Martins serves as a "leave-out-on-stand guitar." I personally don't see the point in relegating myself to practicing on a crappy instrument, when it's so easy to humidify the guitar's environment.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-17-2020, 02:30 PM

Just throwing this out there as it has a solid top BUT today and today only it's at about half price.

Musician's Friend has another one of its Stupid Deal of the Hour marathon and is offering the Recording King RPS-9P-TS Dirty 30's Series 9 PLUS Single 0 for $129.99 if you place it in your shopping cart. The regular price is $249.99.

Again, today only and only until the item sells out ... which does happen from time to time.

Btw, DesertTwang, I have read that you own or owned this guitar so I wonder what your thoughts are on it now.

Update: I've read, however, some unfavorable reviews on the model, mainly suggesting that the guitar may be too lightly braced and so a belly bulge will sometimes occur. Again I don't know as it's just what I've read. Suggestions, of course, are to use extra-
light gauge strings on it. Or you could maybe put on light-gauge strings (which I understand comes stock) but then tune down to D sharp or D. I sometimes do that when I put mediums on an old guitar just to protect the bridge a bit.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 02-17-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I use a room humidifier, and any given point, either one of my Martins serves as a "leave-out-on-stand guitar." I personally don't see the point in relegating myself to practicing on a crappy instrument, when it's so easy to humidify the guitar's environment.
Yup, exactly.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
This is getting too complicated. I appreciate the helpful spirit of the alternate suggestions (room humidifiers, wanting to know why that is impractical, questioning why I don't have one, etc.) and I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the responses, but the entire point of my original post was simply to elicit suggestions for a guitar that I could leave anywhere in the house as a "grab and play". I've evaluated my options. We may get a new whole house unit next year. I don't want to buy, nor do I need, a room humidifier.

I already have a guitar room/studio. My "good" guitars are already properly humidified.

I was merely looking for suggestions for a "beater" guitar that isn't a piece of crap and that wouldn't be susceptible to damage from dry conditions.
You seem to be under some sort of impression that you won’t do damage. You will. Laminate guitars still have wood on them to state the obvious. They will hold up a little better overall but they will be affected negatively over time. Fret and neck problems, bracing problems, etc....

I thought you were just trying to limit your financial exposure when inevitably the instrument would be affected.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-17-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
You seem to be under some sort of impression that you won’t do damage. You will. Laminate guitars still have wood on them to state the obvious. They will hold up a little better overall but they will be affected negatively over time. Fret and neck problems, bracing problems, etc....

I thought you were just trying to limit your financial exposure when inevitably the instrument would be affected.
Fair point, and maybe the end of the story is that there's no real solution other than carbon fiber, which in my case isn't a practical solution. Although I find it interesting that some of the responses in this thread seem to imply that one can have a "beater" instrument and not incur damage. I guess we all have different experiences.

I've actually been somewhat amused by this thread. It exemplifies everything good and bad about internet forums. Ask a pointed question, receive responses ALL over the map even to the point of subtle implications that I'm foolish for even considering such a proposition and/or questioning my commitment and playing level - which I'm quite confident of, thank you very much (I'm not directing this at you Dbone). I'm thankful for the helpful responses and entertained by all the other ones . To be clear though, I'm grateful for everyone who responded, and I hope my lighthearted comments are received as such. Cheers!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:04 PM

Default Recommendation for a "leave out on the stand" acoustic

There are 2 guitars in my collection that are my “beaters” - these guitars stay out all the time in high humidity, low humidity, get tossed into the back of the car, brought out on boats and beaches, left out in the sun and played around a hot, stinky campfire. They are very rugged, and relatively unaffected by any of these elements, and almost impervious to abuse — my Taylor Hog GS Mini, and my Yamaha FS800.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Fair point, and maybe the end of the story is that there's no real solution other than carbon fiber, which in my case isn't a practical solution. Although I find it interesting that some of the responses in this thread seem to imply that one can have a "beater" instrument and not incur damage. I guess we all have different experiences.

I've actually been somewhat amused by this thread. It exemplifies everything good and bad about internet forums. Ask a pointed question, receive responses ALL over the map even to the point of subtle implications that I'm foolish for even considering such a proposition and/or questioning my commitment and playing level - which I'm quite confident of, thank you very much (I'm not directing this at you Dbone). I'm thankful for the helpful responses and entertained by all the other ones . To be clear though, I'm grateful for everyone who responded, and I hope my lighthearted comments are received as such. Cheers!
All I can say is that wood is wood. These people that you speak of that “had no problems” are probably not presenting harsh conditions to their guitar. Wood is wood.

There was one guy in some thread on here that said something to the effect of, “I don’t know what you guys are all going on about with these humidity problems and guitars”....basically saying we were all making a big deal out of nothing...come to find out wherever he lived presented natural ideal conditions in the 45 to 50 humidity range all the time...Clueless. Be careful who you take your advice from is all I’m saying. If buddy had used his humidity management system in my neck of the woods his guitar would have snapped in half.

There is no magical type of wood that does not react to sustained low humidity, or exposure over time. At a minimum the guitar will eventually play like crap....like my Aria laminate that was exposed to low humidity over many years...

Don’t take my word for it —>

https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Larriv...aintenance.pdf

In any case, good luck. You seem a bit perturbed. I hope I didn’t contribute ...Certainly was not my intention...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion