The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
414CE 21 32.31%
414CE Rosewood 44 67.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2020, 02:44 PM

I've owned about 20 acoustics in my time. Never once chose one because of the wood.

I would choose the guitar, not the wood. All other things being equal, RW is not worth an additional $200 to me.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:53 PM

Sight-unseen, I'd go with rosewood.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:14 PM

My opinion is very bias: I have owned a 414ceR for two years. I really love this guitar. But, I have never played an Ovankol model, perhaps I would like it equally or more. I do not regret getting mine.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:26 PM

I think both sounded good. I bought the rosewood and I am quite happy with it.
Either one will make for an outstanding guitar. Which one speaks to you more?
Old 02-17-2020, 07:53 AM

Jon, I love the looks of the ovangkol wood and the price. It makes sense to buy the Rosewood, the two guitars I tried and had a sales person play for me were very close in tone. The Rosewood was just a bit mellow and even across the strings than the Ovangkol, but very slight. That is the reason I posted this thread, it is a hard decision.
1817 Ovation vintage
Old 02-17-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikat View Post
Jon, I love the looks of the ovangkol wood and the price. It makes sense to buy the Rosewood, the two guitars I tried and had a sales person play for me were very close in tone. The Rosewood was just a bit mellow and even across the strings than the Ovangkol, but very slight. That is the reason I posted this thread, it is a hard decision.
Having someone play so you can listen "out front" is interesting, but I've always found that guitars sound much different in the player's position. Since that's where we personally experience a guitar from that's where I'd base my decision from.

The best use of someone else might be to have them hand you the guitars so you can refrain from looking at them. (You can look up while changing guitars and close your eyes while playing.)

If you can't make a choice by how they feel and sound then it's time to simply base your decision on which one looks better to you. If you still don't have a preference then save yourself the extra $200 if you can make no distinction between the two.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 AM

Clear tone vs overtones ?
I love my 2007 412ce.
I am getting rid of my rosewood guitars.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:14 PM

I'm envious of your plight. Seeing as I already own 2 awesome rosewood guitars I really have an itch for the 414 ovangkol. It's a gorgeous wood and a "cousin" to rosewood. That being said I wouldn't buy the guitar just because of the wood. Try out a bunch and then settle on the best one for you regardless of what wood it is made of.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Sight-unseen, I'd go with rosewood.
Personally, I wouldn't buy any Taylor guitar sight unseen, and that goes for pretty much every other guitar maker as well. I've played way too many guitars that looked great but didn't sound right for me. I love my Taylors, but I bought them because they play well and sound great to me. You can't find that out from photos, videos, or anyone else's opinion.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:15 PM

My initial thought was are they the same bracing, and I see a few others also have that thought. Taylor has used different bracing over the years so keep that in mind.

If you don't have the chance to play both guitars I'd probably go with the rosewood because I tend to like that better than ovangkol, but that's just my preference - neither wood is 'better'.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:14 PM

I've never played an ovangkol 414 I liked. So go to rosewood!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikat View Post
I am trying to make up my mind between a Taylor 414CE Ovangkol or a 414CE Rosewood. Is the Rosewood worth the extra money which is only 200.00? Would like to know your thoughts on this.
I have the Taylor 410 ovangkol and definitely prefer it to the rosewood version. They’re both quite nice and I think all of the GA Taylors sound great. Go with your ear, not prejudice against ovangkol. The rosewood is brighter. The ovangkol sounds deeper and my Taylor 410 is probably the loudest guitar I own.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion